Building a new gaming PC. Need Help

Bladedsix

Commendable
Jul 18, 2016
Hey guys. Heading off the College soon and wanted to upgrade my rig. I currently have a budget rig with a fx 8120 and a saphire r9 280. I want to upgrade to intel i7 but also save money with some parts that I already have. Overall, I just want a PC that will run games like Overwatch and League of Legends at 144 fps. I am thinking about putting together this build:

Intel Boxed Core I7-6700 FC-LGA14C 3.40 GHz 8 M Processor Cache 4 LGA 1151 BX80662I76700

Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB GDDR5 DVI-I/DVI-D/HDMI/DP Dual-X with PCI-Express Graphics Card Boost 11230-00-20G
(Already owned. 1 year of use)

MSI Gaming Intel Skylake B150 LGA 1151 DDR4 USB 3.1 ATX Motherboard (B150 Gaming M3)

NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case CA-S340W-W1 (White)

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan (RR-212E-20PK-R2)

Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Twin Pack - Purple

Kingston HyperX FURY Black 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 2133MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL14 DIMM Desktop Memory (HX421C14FBK2/16)

Thermaltake TR2 600 Watt ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 5 Year Warranty Power Supply
(Already owned. 1 year of use)

Do I need the Hyper 212 evo or will the heat sink that comes with the i7 work just fine?

Will my current power supply be able to handle this build?

Is there anyway I can save more money but still keep similar specs to this build?

Do my used parts need an upgrade?

Thank you

Solution
The Hyper 212 EVO is much better than stock intel coolers in my experience, and well worth the $30. I've been using one as of 3 years ago and it's fantastic.

Do keep in mind, however, that it's quite large, and in my build (Antec 900 case, MSI z97 mobo) it blocks one of my four RAM slots as well as blocking the area used for a potential side panel fan. The size shouldn't be an issue for you unless you plan on using all 4 RAM slots and/or a side panel fan.

Your power supply's 600W should be plenty.

As far as "needed" upgrades go, it really just depends on your needs. Your GPU will be the weak point in the build. If you're okay with needing to lower settings on more demanding titles, stick with the R9 280, as Overwatch and LoL should...

waterm94

Commendable
Jul 2, 2016
The Hyper 212 EVO is much better than stock intel coolers in my experience, and well worth the $30. I've been using one as of 3 years ago and it's fantastic.

Do keep in mind, however, that it's quite large, and in my build (Antec 900 case, MSI z97 mobo) it blocks one of my four RAM slots as well as blocking the area used for a potential side panel fan. The size shouldn't be an issue for you unless you plan on using all 4 RAM slots and/or a side panel fan.

Your power supply's 600W should be plenty.

As far as "needed" upgrades go, it really just depends on your needs. Your GPU will be the weak point in the build. If you're okay with needing to lower settings on more demanding titles, stick with the R9 280, as Overwatch and LoL should run just fine on that. Otherwise I would suggest upgrading to the RX 480 or soon to be released GTX 1060.

Solution

Far_PO

Commendable
Jul 6, 2016
I just built a pc with a hyper 212x (just a new version of the evo) and a gigabyte z170 hd3 inside a s340.
It doesnt block any ram slots or fans, just make sure you install it correctly. The first time I installed it it was facing the wrong way blocking 1 ram slot and colliding with the fan so i just turned it 90 degrees and all good.

I must add that im very happy with the case, great price and looks, easy to work in and the design makes cable management pretty easy (just hide everything behind the block haha)

TRENDING THREADS