Question Building a new gaming PC...

Aug 26, 2022
I've been thinking about building a new gaming PC but it's been a good while since I've looked into the advancements since building the one I have now. I'd like something relatively 'future-proof' for a good amount of time but, of course, budget is always a concern. I'd like it to handle 4k gaming with high framerates and be VR-ready. I have a single Samsung LC49G95T monitor and would like to take full advantage of it's resolution(I know, not quite 4k) with the possibility of adding a second monitor of an indeterminent size in the future.

My current PC specifications are:
Intel Core i7-6700K CPU @4.00GHz
MSI Z170A Gaming M7 motherboard
16GB of ram
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti(6GB)

Can anyone point me in the direction of hwat a rig like what I described might look like while I begin the slow process of researching myself??

Aug 26, 2022
I'm looking at between $2-3K with that spent on the main components since I believe I may use the tower I already have along with the peripherals. I'd like it to (hopefully) last 4-5 years before needing to upgrade again while enjoying high settings on new and upcoming games. A few things I know I'll likely settle on is 32 GB of ram(overkill for gaming from what I've read so far but would like it for other computing uses), a motherboard with 3.2 USB's and other current 'next-gen' inputs, and a beefy PSU(dependent on the other components, of course).

That's a great site! I recall using it now when I built my last PC but completely forgot about it. Awesome resource.

How soon must you buy?

Newest 13th generation CPUs should be announced in about a month. Retail availability date not precisely known. October or later I assume.

If you want 32 RAM, you will have to decide if you want to buy 32 new in a single kit or to add 16 new to your existing 16.

If you want the new DDR 5, you'd be forced to 32 new and to buy a motherboard compatible with DDR 5.

Avoid HDDs if at all possible. Storage capacity requirements may force you to use them?

New motherboards for new Intels are also due shortly, but you will likely be able to use 13th generation CPUs on existing 12th generation motherboards, possibly with a BIOS update.

If you have no overclocking intentions, consider a B series motherboard rather than Z.

Are you OK with air cooling if temps would be satisfactory?

What is your budget? Where are you located?

Here is a good bang for your buck system
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/XMJbVw

That is a good build. Some very good parts. Although the 850w RMX is a really good PSU, the 3080ti can have transient power spikes which can sometimes trip the OCP/OPP protections on the PSU. The 3080ti can have power spikes of up to 550w alone for the GPU. So along with all your other system compontents, it will touch about 800w for the power spikes (when they occur - which is only in gaming). Might consider a 1000 PSu to be sure.

or to add 16 new to your existing 16.

This isn't such a great idea. Even though the new DIMMs might very well be the same model, and voltages and primary timings, because they're not in a 4 x 8 kit, means their 'could' be potetntial compatibility issues. They may not function.

To the OP, i'd suggest, purchasing a 2 x 16gb set from the QVL for your mobo, and then sell your current 2 x8 to offset the cost.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022
@Lafong
I don't have a concrete time table for purchase beyond the slight concern of availability of components due to global issues.

What kind of price hike can usually be expected with a new generation release? If 'reasonable', it might be a good to hold off.

I'm gonna be frank, I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to liquid cooled simply because of my own lack of experience in it's use. If not installed correctly, I'd be losing a good $$ in components...that being said, it might not be the best idea to use air-cooled if I have a 'hot' system. Something I'm not sure about yet.

@Lafong, keith12

New Ram would be purchased. Outside the hard drives(HDD/SDD), I don't think I could reuse anything in my current build for the new. I still have to see what a reasonable resale value of what I have is but I would use that to help offset this build.

I also think I may get a new tower afterall. I have a full now but a mid with newer inputs/fans/etc might be a good idea.

I still have a fair amount of reading to do but was thinking this until I research further. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P82VLs

If nervous about liquid, go with air.

Prices on next generation unknown. Rough estimate 10 percent, at least during introductory months. That would apply to CPU and motherboard.

DDR 5 prices have trended down significantly in the last couple of months.

It is possible that next generation 13700K will outperform your 12900KS choice. That remains to be seen following benchmarks. Whether you'd even notice the difference in real life is another matter.

I wouldn't necessarily get locked into 6200 DDR 5; advantage over 5600 or 4800 may be minor?

You have 2 coolers chosen in your parts list. Intentional?

I would not be wedded to a Titanium power supply. Consider Gold or Platinum if you must.

Aug 26, 2022
It sounds like waiting for the next-gen might not affect me to greatly for the time period I'd like to use this for as long as I choose higher-performance parts from the outset?

Ram is something I haven't delved into the intricacies of yet; it's possible 6200 might be 'overkill'.

🤦‍♂️ I forgot to delete the one. The Corsair iCue is the one I was considering.

If I had to hazard a guess, Titanium's efficiency increase might be more than needed for gaming and is geared more to an overall 'workstation' type build that requires a greater power-draw?

Re waiting for 13th gen. Not sure if your comment means there might be no reason to wait in your case?

Current generation i9 might require noticeably better cooling than next generation i7?

As far as I know "Titanium" is a reference to efficiency only and would have a tiny effect on your power bill. Not "build quality". Of course any random Titanium might have superior components, but that would be on a case by case basis subject to investigation.

Do you have an absolute max budget? Or are 2500, 3000, and 3500 all acceptable?

Imagine you have a 3000 dollar set of parts that you are perfectly happy with.

Another 500 dollars falls out of the sky.

Where is that additional 500 best spent? CPU is always a strong candidate, assuming cooling is adequate. Going from 32 to 64 RAM is highly dubious. A "better" motherboard might even be dubious unless it has SPECIFIC features not found in the 3000 dollar configuration.

You can of course concoct a use case where RAM, storage, or cooling would be plausible choices for the last 500.

Better monitor?

@Lafong
I don't have a concrete time table for purchase beyond the slight concern of availability of components due to global issues.

What kind of price hike can usually be expected with a new generation release? If 'reasonable', it might be a good to hold off.

I'm gonna be frank, I'm a bit gun-shy when it comes to liquid cooled simply because of my own lack of experience in it's use. If not installed correctly, I'd be losing a good $$ in components...that being said, it might not be the best idea to use air-cooled if I have a 'hot' system. Something I'm not sure about yet.

@Lafong, keith12

New Ram would be purchased. Outside the hard drives(HDD/SDD), I don't think I could reuse anything in my current build for the new. I still have to see what a reasonable resale value of what I have is but I would use that to help offset this build.

I also think I may get a new tower afterall. I have a full now but a mid with newer inputs/fans/etc might be a good idea.

I still have a fair amount of reading to do but was thinking this until I research further. https://pcpartpicker.com/list/P82VLs

That's a nice build, but there are some thigns to look at.

Get a stronger PSU. 1200w in this case. With the 3090ti, the transient power spikes are even higher that the 3080/ti. They can typically go up to 650w. Sometimes more if it's a AIB partner SC/OC version.

You've two CPU cooler's in that build. I'd go with the H150i out of those two.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021
I built my PC last year pretty much at the height of how expensive things were and I did it for about $3,000. My specs are listed below. T
he $3,000 didn't include the keyboard mouse monitor or headset

Aug 26, 2022
@Lafong

I imagine I likely wouldn't be able to take full advantage of the improvements the next-gen will bring however, a price reduction of previous gen parts might be worth the wait. I still have to look at the projected improvements before really deciding. Just something I'm keeping in mind that might affect the decision to act immediately or wait.

I've read up a bit on the PSU classifications since yesterday and you're likely right that I don't necessarily need a Titanium rated one; I'm still on the fence as to whether I'll go Gold or Platinum.

I had a $3k figure in mind. I would, of course, not blink if it came in a bity higher since I do intend to keep the build for the next 4-5 years.

I'm honestly not sure where I would put another $500 in it because I need to read up(time has been limited this past week) on the nuances that make one part better than another.

The monitor I have now is pretty good, though not true 4K because of the dimensions. Another monitor down the road might be a possibility though.

@keith12

A good point; There should be an excess of about 200W with the 1000 but I didn't know the 3090ti was prone to spikes like that. There is a 1600W Platinum EVGA for about the same price I could swap the other out for. I was going to try to stick with some of the better known and trusted brands; I feel more comfortable paying more for something that tends to have a reputation of being a better product.

I fixed the double cooler; forgot to delete the previous. The more I look at this and read up, it seems water-cooled might have to be the way to go. I'll just have to research LOTS of articles/reviews to ensure I put it together properly.

@Themidgeman21

The timing is part of the reason I'm considering building now; I looked at around the time you built yours and I just couldn't do it. Now seems to be a little more reasonable, at least in some regards.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead
Liquid may be needed on a 12900KS.....

I'd think much less likely needed on a 13700K......which may well have performance equal or better than 12900KS.

12900KS: 8 P cores; 8 E cores.

13700 non-K: said to have 8P and 8E.

13700K: unknown as far as I know

I wouldn't think gaming performance is highly correlated to core count?

Gaming websites will of course get their hands on 13th gen very early in release, so you may have decent reports within 60 days?

Price drops on older parts: I'd be surprised if it goes beyond say 10 percent other than on a heavy duty Black Friday type sale. If 13th gen parts are 10 percent higher, maybe 12th gen parts don't drop much at all until well into next year?

All speculation of course.

Reactions: Why_Me
Aug 26, 2022
I haven't been able to make much progress in the planning but have read up a bit more on some off the components. A couple changes have been made and are reflected on the build page but I think I might go a step up with the Motherboard to a Gigabyte Z690 AORUS MASTER about $50 more.

Something I wasn't aware of before is that AIO coolers are water-cooled but self contained. I was envisioning the custom builds that can be tricky if not done properly. I believe the one I've chosen(upgraded) is refillable in case I keep it long enough it becomes necessary. It's also larger which necessitated the case change.

I might change the CPU. Looking at the difference between the KS and the KF and it seems negligible. The KS has integrated graphics but that doesn't seem overly important given the fact a dedicated GPU is in the build. Or am I wrong and it provided some still benefit? The KF also requires less power. The KF also has an unlocked multiplier...though I'm not sure just how relevant that can be. The KF also doesn't run as hot as the KS as far as what I've read.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/WcFJNc

larsv8

Distinguished
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/kGCHJM

This is what I ended up opting for.

Sales going on now to help a little with pricing and from what I'm finding, price decreases aren't likely to be great enough to justify waiting. Thanks everyone for the advice!

You are free to do what you want, but I feel like you wasted over a 1,000 dollars here on computing performance you will never use.

4k gaming simply doesn't require high end CPUs, as GPUs are usually always the bottleneck. With your high end CPU, the extra power requirements, the extra cooling needing, its a lot of unnecessary spend.

It you had this system side by side with 5600x / b550, ddr4, budget cooler and the same GPU, I would bet money you would never know the difference between the two systems.

Its a bit of a different story if you are also streaming, or photo editing on the side, but for strictly 4k gaming, I would have gone a different route.

Check out this video illustrating CPU effect on 4k performance. You can see, as long as you have the minimum amount of CPU power needed, getting better and better CPUs does nothing for performance.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ht_7ktBbwGc&ab_channel=TestingGames

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2022
Primary use for now is gaming but in a bit, it'll be used for work. so you are correct that, for the moment, it's overkill but hoping it'll pay off in the future both in income and not having to upgrade for awhile.