[SOLVED] Building a new Gaming rig

Solution
do i need this cpu which now i can c its going to be quite costly
Before Ryzen 5000 showed up, the 10900K did deliver the best gaming performance - out of the box.
Overclocking isn't worth it on this cpu; getting around to stress testing for OC stability... like, it just pulls too much power. You're not going to pull that kind of power in game, but stress testing is still necessary for obvious reasons, but - I'm going to go in circles here...
I see it like this:
A)Stuck on Intel, want the best overall out of the box gaming performance they offer without overclocking/won't overclock? 10900K.
Then it also has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost, which is a temperature sensitive, auto boost feature, that is active up until 70C...

joggnme3

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
240mm performance is adequate for Intel specified stock operation only - no vendor applied tweaks.

Add All Core Enchancement or MCE(Asus), raise/remove power limits, or OC... under heavy load... you can toss both 240 and 280mm out, as that thing is capable of over 300w of waste heat.
thank u so much for the reply..I like to game..do i need this cpu which now i can c its going to be quite costly..Right now i have an i5-4670k ..MSI Z87-GD65 1150 MB..16GB 2400mhz Ram..HX-750psu..Nvidia RTX 2070 Super ...the cooler u know..can u recommend some substitutes..Thank u in advance

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
do i need this cpu which now i can c its going to be quite costly
Before Ryzen 5000 showed up, the 10900K did deliver the best gaming performance - out of the box.
Overclocking isn't worth it on this cpu; getting around to stress testing for OC stability... like, it just pulls too much power. You're not going to pull that kind of power in game, but stress testing is still necessary for obvious reasons, but - I'm going to go in circles here...
I see it like this:
A)Stuck on Intel, want the best overall out of the box gaming performance they offer without overclocking/won't overclock? 10900K.
Then it also has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost, which is a temperature sensitive, auto boost feature, that is active up until 70C. This further reduces the need to OC it, as the cpu will try to boost higher on its own, as long as it stays below 70C.

B)Stuck on Intel, want a good overall gaming cpu and be able to play with some OC'ing without donating an organ for exotic cooling? 10600K.
A 240mm hybrid and high end air coolers would suffice for this cpu, including some OC headroom.

AMD has an edge over Intel's best in that they don't require as extreme cooling solutions, allowing users to save some money, or allocate it elsewhere. A 5900X under loads doesn't even exceed 200w, landing around the 10600K's level of power consumption.

Cooling on a 10900K? Just about any 360mm performance hybrid cooler from a well known brand:
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2, Cooler Master ML360R, Corsair H150i Pro XT... avoid models advertised for low noise operation - they give up too much fan strength, which limits their performance!
^That's including OC'ing.
Without that, a 280mm hybrid, or some of the top air coolers:
Deepcool Assassin 3, Noctua NH-D15S(now available in Chromax Black), Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT...

Solution

joggnme3

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
I see it like this:
Then it also has the exclusive Thermal Velocity Boost, which is a temperature sensitive, auto boost feature, that is active up until 70C. This further reduces the need to OC it, as the cpu will try to boost higher on its own, as long as it stays below 70C.

B)Stuck on Intel, want a good overall gaming cpu and be able to play with some OC'ing without donating an organ for exotic cooling? 10600K.
A 240mm hybrid and high end air coolers would suffice for this cpu, including some OC headroom.

AMD has an edge over Intel's best in that they don't require as extreme cooling solutions, allowing users to save some money, or allocate it elsewhere. A 5900X under loads doesn't even exceed 200w, landing around the 10600K's level of power consumption.

Cooling on a 10900K? Just about any 360mm performance hybrid cooler from a well known brand:
Arctic Liquid Freezer 2, Cooler Master ML360R, Corsair H150i Pro XT... avoid models advertised for low noise operation - they give up too much fan strength, which limits their performance!
^That's including OC'ing.
Without that, a 280mm hybrid, or some of the top air coolers:
Deepcool Assassin 3, Noctua NH-D15S(now available in Chromax Black), Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT...
so u recommend the 10600k...can i use this cpu in the MB i presently have?..Im trying to keep the cost down but will spend what i have to spend to crank this thing..again ,this puter is mainly for 1 or 2 games i play and browsing.. If i can get away with just upping the cpu thats what ill do..what are ur thoughts..ty in advance..Ralph

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not recommending either. Pick the one that best fits you, and how you will use it.
The AMD counterparts might offer a more cost effective option for you:
Instead of a 10900K + Z490, look to a 5900X + B550
Instead of a 10600K +Z490, look to a 5600X + B550

Overclocking, should you choose to go that route, is an added expense, typically requiring more expensive cooling as well as motherboards, that at the minimum, have robust VRM heatsinks.
The gains from OC'ing haven't been as significant as they were, say, 8 years ago?

joggnme3

Honorable
Feb 16, 2014
I'm not recommending either. Pick the one that best fits you, and how you will use it.
The AMD counterparts might offer a more cost effective option for you:
Instead of a 10900K + Z490, look to a 5900X + B550
Instead of a 10600K +Z490, look to a 5600X + B550

Overclocking, should you choose to go that route, is an added expense, typically requiring more expensive cooling as well as motherboards, that at the minimum, have robust VRM heatsinks.
The gains from OC'ing haven't been as significant as they were, say, 8 years ago?
sorry to bother you..can i use the 10600k in my present MB..MSI Z87-GD65 1150 MB

TRENDING THREADS