Building a new media PC and could do with some input

Oct 28, 2018
Approximate Purchase Date: Over the next few weeks

Budget Range: £800 ish

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Playing mp3s and videos, internet, streaming, Youtube etc

Are you buying a monitor: No - it will be connected to my TV and surround amp

Parts to Upgrade: Starting from scratch - my current media PC was built in 2005 and has seen better days now

Do you need to buy OS: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Various UK sites depending on where comes up cheapest for each thing

Parts Preferences: I'm thinking of going for Intel CPU, but don't mind really

Overclocking: I would imagine not, I'm unlikely to use this for gaming but would like to keep my options open. It would be tricky to try and play using a mouse and keyboard from the sofa, but using a controller works. I'd be interested to try VR

SLI or Crossfire: Ummm....

Your Monitor Resolution: HD TV - will no doubt upgrade to 4k TV at some point

Additional Comments: I will need a optical digital out (TOSlink) from the motherboard

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I am upgrading because BamBam my 13 year old media PC has finally given up. It has served me well though. I'm hoping BamBam II will last me as long

My build so far looks like this:
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/HercseyBaby/saved/#view=B4sjyc

I have so many questions though, I hope someone will help me out.

Oct 28, 2018
Here are some of my questions:

1. I am intending to future proof the new machine - AMD 64 bit CPUs had just come out back in 2005 - so I've gone for a generation 9 Intel. Maybe I don't need such a new CPU??

2. As I've picked an Intel chip I've gone for a motherboard with the H370 chipset. I've also gone for micro ATX size so that the case will fit in better with other TV things like Sky and games consoles. Would there be a better motherboard choice?

3. I assume the SSD is mainly for the OS? This is how I had BamBam set up - 80GB disc for Windows 7 and 2TB disc for storage. 500GB seems a lot just for running an OS, but I suppose it's not that expensive.

4. Not sure how good my choice of SSD and HD are. I am considering going for a NAS drive instead of the 5TB HD

5. Am I spending too much on a video card. I know the Intel chip has built in graphics that can probably do what I want re media, but it was an under powered graphics card that let BamBam down in the end. Back in 2005 BamBam was being used through a CRT TV with a VGA card and could do a semi HD widescreen resolution using a bit of software so I didn't get a graphics card that could do more than I needed. 5 years later I had an HD TV and video files starting using 1080 resolution but the graphics card could only manage 720 files. So I'm just being a bit more cautious about future proofing it. But I'm maybe still overdoing things unless I intend to play games.

I suppose I could get stated without a graphics card and add one in if I feel I need it. I'm really not sure about how much to spend on a graphics card if, indeed, I should bother at all.

6. I don't know much about fans or power supplies etc.

7. I was looking at Silverstone Milo ML03 HTPC Case - Black (SST-ML03B) for the case
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/silverstone-milo-ml03-htpc-case-black-sst-ml03b-ca-163-sv.html
I'm not sure if it will be OK or not though for what I've chosen.

This Streacom ST-FC10B Alpha Optical Fanless HTPC Aluminium Chassis - Black does look super nice
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/streacom-st-fc10b-alpha-optical-fanless-htpc-aluminium-chassis-black-ca-047-sr.html
But it is very pricey and I don't think it's worth the money and I'm not sure that fanless really means. It looks like something with tubes touches the CPU and conducts the heat away?