Question Building a new PC and it doesn't turn on with the old graphic card

Druantia

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2015
Hi,

I'm building a new PC after my old one stopped turning on. Long story short it was a broken motherboard, so I set up to build a new one.

I've got a new motherboard, CPU, RAM, and PSU.

However I kept the disks and graphic card (my idea is to save for a new one in a few months).

After assembling the PC it doesn't turn on and after a bit of troubleshooting, I was able to turn it on when I removed the GPU.

I'm wondering if it's just the card that could be damaged, or if something is wrong with my build like compatibility or insufficient power.

From my search the power should be enough, as for compatibility I didn't see anywhere saying it shouldn't be compatible, however noting also points out that someone has this build to make sure it really works.
I even try the different slot on the motherboard and the main one is PCLe5, but also it doesn't work. I tried powering GPU with one cable and with two cables, but also doesn't work.

My build is:
Motherboard_ Gigabyte Z690 UD DDR4
CPU: Intel i5 12600K
GPU: MSI GTX 970
PSU: Corsair TX650M (Gold Plus)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB DDR4

What do you think it could be? I don't have older components to test the GPU separatetly.

Thanks in advance,
Cheers.

What was your old CPU and motherboard model numbers?

Because, maybe, it WASN'T the motherboard, maybe the problem you had before was actually the graphics card and now you are still seeing a continuation of that problem. This is not a lack of power. Your PSU is a very decent model and has more than enough power for that graphics card.

Are you sure you've plugged in everything that needs to be plugged in?

TRIPLE check everything here:

Reactions: Dark Lord of Tech

Druantia

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2015
What was your old CPU and motherboard model numbers?

Because, maybe, it WASN'T the motherboard, maybe the problem you had before was actually the graphics card and now you are still seeing a continuation of that problem. This is not a lack of power. Your PSU is a very decent model and has more than enough power for that graphics card.

I'm beginning to think that. However, at the time, I took the GPU out and it still did not power on. As I didn't have spares to test each part individually I took it to a PC Repair shop and their diagnosis was a broken motherboard.

The old models were:
CPU - Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150

They were running since 2015. :)

Are you sure you've plugged in everything that needs to be plugged in?

TRIPLE check everything here:

Thanks, I've checked it again. The PC boots to the BIOS setting without the GPU and I will proceed to installing windows.

Really only with GPU connected I have no response whatsoever. So as you said probably GPU is faulty...
In your check list I coul also confirm that the GPU power cables were also properly connected...

Cheers.

So, when you had the original system and you took the graphics card out and it "still didn't power on", had you connected the display cable to the video output on your motherboard? Because if you had not, it was never going to work. If the system doesn't detect a graphics device it simply won't attempt to post in most cases or it will simply error and remain static. Often though it will seek a graphics adapter, not find one and shut back down. Depends on the generation too. And different boards might act differently.

Do you still have your old hardware?

If the new system works using the CPU graphics but does not with the graphics card installed, then it can really only BE the graphics card. And since the graphics card is the only thing really that is common to both the old and the new system, that makes it almost a no brainer.

I'd bet the old hardware is still good and that shop doesn't know their #$$$ from a hole in the ground, but it IS possible that something could have happened that damaged both the graphics card and the motherboard. It's not that uncommon really especially if there was any user error involved, or some kind of power surge that caused damage, or any number of things.

If you still have your old hardware I try it using just the iGPU like you are doing with the new hardware and it might actually still be good. You can do this just on top of the motherboard box or whatever.