[SOLVED] Building a new PC - Does this work?

Jun 13, 2019
Hi

So I've been trying to assemble a new PC. Mostly I'm gonna do gaming - and a bit programming (nothing big or special).
Here goes what I've been trying to assemble. I just want to make sure that these main components work fine together

1)ASUS PRIME A320M-E OR ASUS PRIME B350M-K (Which one?!)

2)GigaByte GV-RX570GAMING-4GD-MI
3)AMD Ryzen 5 1400
4)GEIL Pristine 8GB DDR4 2400 CL16 Single Channel

5)Is a PSU of 500W enough?!

Thanks

Solution
This isn't exactly an ideal combination of parts, but yes, they are ultimately compatible with each other. However, to get better value of your money, and better performance, there are a few changes I would strongly recommend:

1. Regarding the motherboard, definitely get a B-series board, avoid A320 as they do not support overclocking and have limited RAM speed compatibility - the A320 chipset is really meant for OEM system. The B350M-K is fine.
  2. You definitely want faster RAM, 2400 MHz will limit the CPU's performance a lot and faster RAM isn't too much more expensive. I would also recommend getting 16 gigs if you can, I'm sure you have budget constraints but trust me you do need it. Either way, get 3000 MHz RAM if possible, and...
This isn't exactly an ideal combination of parts, but yes, they are ultimately compatible with each other. However, to get better value of your money, and better performance, there are a few changes I would strongly recommend:

1. Regarding the motherboard, definitely get a B-series board, avoid A320 as they do not support overclocking and have limited RAM speed compatibility - the A320 chipset is really meant for OEM system. The B350M-K is fine.
  2. You definitely want faster RAM, 2400 MHz will limit the CPU's performance a lot and faster RAM isn't too much more expensive. I would also recommend getting 16 gigs if you can, I'm sure you have budget constraints but trust me you do need it. Either way, get 3000 MHz RAM if possible, and 2666 MHz at minimum.
  3. Yes, a 500 W PSU should be enough, but the quality is what matters most. Quality of PSU varies widely based on manufacturer and what series the PSU belongs to. The Corsair CX450 is a decent budget unit, should run your system just fine. A Seasonic S12II is another cheap but good unit, the 520W variant will be more than enough. From among the two, I would recommend the CX450 more, since it is more recent, while the S12II is quite outdated now, but still doing good.
Edit: Sorry, completely skipped over something, you also definitely want dual channel memory, because that ALSO affects CPU performance. If you decide to stay on 8 GB, get 2x4 GB, and if you decide to go 16 GB, get a 2x8 kit.

Solution
Jun 13, 2019

2. You definitely want faster RAM, 2400 MHz will limit the CPU's performance a lot and faster RAM isn't too much more expensive. I would also recommend getting 16 gigs if you can, I'm sure you have budget constraints but trust me you do need it. Either way, get 3000 MHz RAM if possible, and 2666 MHz at minimum.
  3. Yes, a 500 W PSU should be enough, but the quality is what matters most. Quality of PSU varies widely based on manufacturer and what series the PSU belongs to. The Corsair CX450 is a decent budget unit, should run your system just fine. A Seasonic S12II is another cheap but good unit, the 520W variant will be more than enough. From among the two, I would recommend the CX450 more, since it is more recent, while the S12II is quite outdated now, but still doing good.
Edit: Sorry, completely skipped over something, you also definitely want dual channel memory, because that ALSO affects CPU performance. If you decide to stay on 8 GB, get 2x4 GB, and if you decide to go 16 GB, get a 2x8 kit.
Thanks mate I really appreciate it ❤❤❤

Do not buy an a320 motherboard. Even if you aren't overclocking, A320 doesn't support newer CPUs limiting future upgrades. Also, A320 boards will receive less support and less future bios updates.

You will want dual channel ddr4 3000 at a minimum.

500w is enough. Id suggest a decent 450w or more.

The RX570 is a good choice.

Thr Ryzen 5 1400 doesnt perform much better than an overclocked ryzen 3. I would step up to ryzen 5 1600.

Reactions: Nyctophile97
PCPartPicker Part List

Type|Item|Price
:----|:----|:----
CPU | AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2 GHz 6-Core Processor | $117.39 @ OutletPC
Motherboard | Gigabyte - B450 Gaming X ATX AM4 Motherboard | $94.99 @ Amazon
Memory | Team - T-FORCE VULCAN Z 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory | $40.99 @ Newegg Business
Video Card | Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card | $119.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply | Corsair - Vengeance 650 W 80+ Silver Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply | $45.98 @ Newegg
| Prices include shipping, taxes, rebates, and discounts |
| Total (before mail-in rebates) | $454.34
| Mail-in rebates | -$35.00
| Total | $419.34
| Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-13 08:15 EDT-0400 |