[SOLVED] Building a new PC in 2020/21

Oct 26, 2020
Hi,

I am going to build a whole new PC in next 1-2 months. Currently I am using intel platform Z170 together with i5 6600k and RX480 from AMD. Nowdays it seems that AMD is the way to go, although my past experiances are not so great. Went from Athlon, Pheon, Bulldozer up to latest FX'es and the stability was always a concern. Even now my RX480 seems to behave very strange. My PC is used for 2 purposes: remote work via VDI/Citrix and gaming. The PC performance regarding work is rather irrelevant as everything computes on outside server however when I play I like to have everything maxed out. Bottom line of the question is: AMD or Intel? I want good, stable platform with top notch performance in gaming (using FHD 144Hz G/F sync monitor). Last but not least which mobo I should pick? Currently having M3 from MSI and it does't not seem to be best. I am wondering about picking something from Asus or Gigbabyte.

Rgds,
T

Solution
Your 6600k is not a bad CPU even today, but the video card can easily be upgraded. What is your power supply brand and model? If you have a good one I would bet a decent card in the 2070 range and a clean Windows setup on an SSD would make a huge difference in gaming. Wait and see how that will run before tossing money into a full platform change. For 1080 gaming even at 144hz you don't need to go crazy with parts. I'm running a 1070 with a Ryzen 1600AF on a 1080 75 hz screen but can go to 1440 or even 4k upscaling in many games and still hit 60+ FPS. I have been upgrading/changing my keyboard/mouse/speakers/headphones/monitors more than my core PC components over last several years, and it's a lot more fun to play around with...
Hi,

I am going to build a whole new PC in next 1-2 months. Currently I am using intel platform Z170 together with i5 6600k and RX480 from AMD. Nowdays it seems that AMD is the way to go, although my past experiances are not so great. Went from Athlon, Pheon, Bulldozer up to latest FX'es and the stability was always a concern. Even now my RX480 seems to behave very strange. My PC is used for 2 purposes: remote work via VDI/Citrix and gaming. The PC performance regarding work is rather irrelevant as everything computes on outside server however when I play I like to have everything maxed out. Bottom line of the question is: AMD or Intel? I want good, stable platform with top notch performance in gaming (using FHD 144Hz G/F sync monitor). Last but not least which mobo I should pick? Currently having M3 from MSI and it does't not seem to be best. I am wondering about picking something from Asus or Gigbabyte.

Rgds,
T
Upcoming Ryzen 5600x would be ideal

Oct 26, 2020
I was thinking about it, but:
a) we got COVID, I am wondering if the availability could be an issue like in case of RTX 30XX
b)How the current RX 3XXX CPU family works? Are they stable, really that good as reviewers say?
Cheers!

SH Gaming

Reputable
Oct 2, 2020
Any of new Ryzen processers are fine. From what I know AMD is better than intel mainly for the cores but everything from AMD is stable as crap. I have used the 5 2600 for a year and have not had any problems and it is overclocked to 4.0ghz. AMD is actually better than Intel after like 10 years it seems lol.

Your 6600k is not a bad CPU even today, but the video card can easily be upgraded. What is your power supply brand and model? If you have a good one I would bet a decent card in the 2070 range and a clean Windows setup on an SSD would make a huge difference in gaming. Wait and see how that will run before tossing money into a full platform change. For 1080 gaming even at 144hz you don't need to go crazy with parts. I'm running a 1070 with a Ryzen 1600AF on a 1080 75 hz screen but can go to 1440 or even 4k upscaling in many games and still hit 60+ FPS. I have been upgrading/changing my keyboard/mouse/speakers/headphones/monitors more than my core PC components over last several years, and it's a lot more fun to play around with those that having a game run at High vs Medium or get 50 fps vs 60.

Solution

Mike2009

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Dropping my 2 cents in here ,,, Your best bang for the buck I imagine is going to be a Ryzen 5600x , on a b550 motherboard, 16 or 32gb ddr4 3200 to 3600 , if they come out soon the RTX3060 i bet will be a nice midrange GPU ,,, then a pci e gen 4 nvme sdd for your boot drive and main drive ,,,, a decent 550 watt power supply and case you got yourself a kick a** system.

Reactions: CountMike