[SOLVED] Building a new PC. Looking for some input please.

Batts12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2020
Hey everyone I'm just looking for some input on a build with a budget of $1250. I recently sought advice from you guys on a build for a friend and that turned out fantastic so now I have another. This is a gaming and internet pc. I have a rough idea of what to choose but I want to make sure I'm not missing something more experienced people would know.

I was leaning to something like this

Solution
It was an okay list, but I made a few tweaks: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qkMGhg
The R5 3600 is a great gaming CPU, so I left that.
NH-U12S is a good cooler if you just want it to run cool and quiet, compared to the stock cooler. So I left that in as well.
Replaced the motherboard with a B450 MAX board, since ASRock X570 boards aren't really good, and you really shouldn't get X570 unless you really need PCIe 4.0 or more PCIe lanes. Important to get a MAX board since they have preflashed bios to 3rd gen compatibility, and come with a larger bios chip, which is needed for ryzen 3rd gen.
Replaced the ram with 3600C16, which is significantly better for the price.
Replaced the 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD (Both silicon power and seagate are...
It was an okay list, but I made a few tweaks: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/qkMGhg
NH-U12S is a good cooler if you just want it to run cool and quiet, compared to the stock cooler. So I left that in as well.
Replaced the motherboard with a B450 MAX board, since ASRock X570 boards aren't really good, and you really shouldn't get X570 unless you really need PCIe 4.0 or more PCIe lanes. Important to get a MAX board since they have preflashed bios to 3rd gen compatibility, and come with a larger bios chip, which is needed for ryzen 3rd gen.
Replaced the 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD (Both silicon power and seagate are companies I wouldn't really trust for storage devices, but it seems seagate only really has trouble with higher capacity drives) with a 1TB SATA SSD from Crucial, which is a trusted brand.
Replaced the card with one of the same chip but better VRM and cooling.
Replaced the case with something significantly better for airflow
PSU originally in the list was pretty bad. I replaced it with a generally good unit. You could also get a Corsair TX650M unit if you want to save a bit of money, and you won't really be losing out on much.

Solution

Batts12

Reputable
Jan 2, 2020
Replaced the 512GB SSD + 2TB HDD (Both silicon power and seagate are companies I wouldn't really trust for storage devices, but it seems seagate only really has trouble with higher capacity drives) with a 1TB SATA SSD from Crucial, which is a trusted brand.
Replaced the card with one of the same chip but better VRM and cooling.
Replaced the case with something significantly better for airflow
PSU originally in the list was pretty bad. I replaced it with a generally good unit. You could also get a Corsair TX650M unit if you want to save a bit of money, and you won't really be losing out on much.

Awesome info. Just curious I'm assuming the compatibility issues listed at the bottom wont actually be a problem? I.e the cooler may require a seperate mounting bracket etc.

Awesome info. Just curious I'm assuming the compatibility issues listed at the bottom wont actually be a problem? I.e the cooler may require a seperate mounting bracket etc.
Oh good catch. Yeah that cooler was not compatible with AM4 out of the box, this is the AM4 version: https://www.amazon.com/Noctua-NH-U12S-SE-AM4-Premium-Grade-Cooler/dp/B01N9X2YYN
The rest aren't issues though. PCPP just lists all B450 boards as incompatible with 3rd gen out of box, which is not true for MAX boards. Also, a few drive bays may be blocked by the GPU, but you only need one 2.5", so this isn't an issue either.