Building a new PC with HHD from the previous PC?

jester070993

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
I'm building a new computer and I am getting all new parts except the HHD PSU and optical drive. I want to save money by just removing the HHD from my previous computer and putting it in this one, but how do I go about doing it WITHOUT wiping windows 7 off it? I don't want to just plug it into my new computer because it will still have all the old drivers/software and all that stuff. Is there a way to do a clean reinstall or restore on my current computer? That way I just have windows set up on it already, but without all the software from my old computer, then I can just plug it into my new set up and have it working?

jester070993

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008

I would be up for that, but I don't feel like buying a new copy of windows. I still have Microsoft Windows 7 CD key, is it possible to install it on the HHD after i wipe it clean? Or do I have to buy a new Microsoft OS/cd key??

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
You don't need to buy another license unless you have OEM license . Honestly you would be fine by just swapping out the hard drive and just let it restart a few times. All the drivers will be replaced or removed. I just prefer clean installs.

Edit: Check out Microsoft's Easy Transfer too

jester070993

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008

hm, so I can just put this HDD in it the new build and it will be fine? I wont need a new cd key? and all the old drivers will be gone

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
If you got windows with a OEM(Dell, HP...ect) then I think you will need to buy it again but If you personally bought a Windows Disc then no you can transfer. You might have to re-activate by phone.

jester070993

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[/quotemsg]

I bought a OEM copy of windows 7 from newegg. Would I be able to reactivate that?

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Sorry, you should contact Microsoft. I think if it is an OEM "System Builder" version it may be tied to the first PC(motherboard) you installed it on. The OEM version is for if you were going to build a system and sell it, it was probably a bit cheaper.

jester070993

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
alright. I'll have to buy another copy. Do you recommend buying the OEM copy again (it is cheaper, about 99 dollars), or just buying the regular OS copy? And windows 7 or 8?

crookedmouth

Honorable
Mar 2, 2013
Can you sell your PC to anyone then buy new hard drive and copy of Windows?

It's really up to you. How long will your current motherboard last for you? That will be as long as you can use the copy of Windows 7 if you get OEM. Will you want to stick with Windows 7 until Windows 9 comes out?

If it was me and my new PC is going to last awhile and I could upgrade the cpu down the road, I would get Windows 7 OEM and leapfrog Windows 8.