[SOLVED] Building a new PC with tight budget

kamigimi

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
Hi, Toms. Please help me complete this gaming build by the budget of $600(it's an estimated number, since I'm not living in US)
Here is my thought
  • Ryzen5 2600 / I5 9400f
  • any mATX with B450 chipset / any mATX with H370 chipset
  • 8GB x 2 BW 2666
  • Superflower Leadex Gold II 650W
btw, I already have RX480(8GB) in my possession

Thank you,

PS.I'm not a fan of OCing, so if there are anything you think is better for the budget, please tell

Solution
What country are you in? The prices of some components can potentially vary from one country to the next. Also, what sort of storage and other hardware might you have that you plan on re-using? And what monitor do you have?

A Ryzen 3600 is a decent processor, but with a graphics card around this performance range, assuming you are planning on playing recent games at 1080p, you will most likely be limited by graphics performance more than anything in most titles. So, the additional per-core performance of the 3600 might not provide that much benefit when paired with an RX 480 in many games. Of course, it might depend on how pricing is in your country. In the US, a Ryzen 2600 currently only costs around $120, while a 3600 is around...
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fqs4n7

Try this. ^

However, I personally advise not wasting money on a budget build as games will always become more demanding forcing you to upgrade sooner rather than later, meaning you will pay more and possibly always remain in the low-budget spectrum. If you save 600 more you could get a decent mid tier build with a better GPU and CPU.

Also to save you money on the build I made above, I took off windows retail installation. If you're tech savvy enough you could find the windows Installer iso online from microsoft themselves, install that, and then activate it with a 10$ key you can get on ebay.

Reactions: kamigimi

kamigimi

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/fqs4n7

Try this. ^

However, I personally advise not wasting money on a budget build as games will always become more demanding forcing you to upgrade sooner rather than later, meaning you will pay more and possibly always remain in the low-budget spectrum. If you save 600 more you could get a decent mid tier build with a better GPU and CPU.

Also to save you money on the build I made above, I took off windows retail installation. If you're tech savvy enough you could find the windows Installer iso online from microsoft themselves, install that, and then activate it with a 10$ key you can get on ebay.
Thank you, but I couldn't afford more than $600.
What if I cut off an SSD and Hyper212(which I already had, just forgot to mention) for 3600 or any better CPU than 2600, would it worth the price?

What country are you in? The prices of some components can potentially vary from one country to the next. Also, what sort of storage and other hardware might you have that you plan on re-using? And what monitor do you have?

A Ryzen 3600 is a decent processor, but with a graphics card around this performance range, assuming you are planning on playing recent games at 1080p, you will most likely be limited by graphics performance more than anything in most titles. So, the additional per-core performance of the 3600 might not provide that much benefit when paired with an RX 480 in many games. Of course, it might depend on how pricing is in your country. In the US, a Ryzen 2600 currently only costs around $120, while a 3600 is around $195, a $75 difference. The difference might potentially be smaller where you are though.

If going Ryzen, I would pick faster RAM than 2666 though, as those processors will see some performance benefit from DDR4-3200, and it isn't likely to cost much more than 2666. You may need to enable the XMP profile in your BIOS for 3200 speed though.

Solution

kamigimi

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2014

A Ryzen 3600 is a decent processor, but with a graphics card around this performance range, assuming you are planning on playing recent games at 1080p, you will most likely be limited by graphics performance more than anything in most titles. So, the additional per-core performance of the 3600 might not provide that much benefit when paired with an RX 480 in many games. Of course, it might depend on how pricing is in your country. In the US, a Ryzen 2600 currently only costs around $120, while a 3600 is around $195, a $75 difference. The difference might potentially be smaller where you are though.

If going Ryzen, I would pick faster RAM than 2666 though, as those processors will see some performance benefit from DDR4-3200, and it isn't likely to cost much more than 2666. You may need to enable the XMP profile in your BIOS for 3200 speed though.
Thank you for answering. I live in Thailand. The cheapest price of 3600 I could find is $212(almost every component are 10-15% more expensive, except RAM)
I know it's a bit rush but I already bought everything. Here's what I've got
  • Ryzen5 3600 <$212>
  • Gigabyte B450 Aorus Elite <$97> (from what I have been researching, everyone said good things about MSI, that it is the best choice for Ryzen. But I had bad histories with MSI Mobo. So I rather stay away from it)
  • Corsair Vengence 8GB BUS2666 x2 <$79>
  • Super Flower Leadex III Gold 650W <$118>
  • Corsair MP510(M.2) 240G <$62>
However, the heatsink(Evo212) is not compatible with AM4 Mobo, so I have to use the stock cooler. I was going to go for 3200bus RAM, but I was not so sure if it would work without OCing, So I played it safe by getting 2666 instead. But since you said XMP works with 3200, now I'm regretting my decision...

The cheapest price of 3600 I could find is $212(almost every component are 10-15% more expensive, except RAM)
In the US, there's an additional "sales tax" that's usually applied on top of the prices you see listed, which varies from state to state, but is typically around the 5-10% range, so pricing might not be too different.

Technically, XMP can be considered a form of "overclocking" compared to what the standard memory speed is for a platform, but the RAM manufacturer and motherboard manufacturer will typically state that their components will operate at those stated speeds. 2666 is probably fine though, and at the vast majority of tasks, RAM speed should only have a minimal effect on performance. Faster RAM can improve the performance of some tasks a bit though, so if faster RAM costs a similar amount, it can be worth going with. You probably wouldn't notice any major performance difference though. It's not like 20% faster RAM will make software run 20% faster, or anything like that. You're usually looking at only a few percent performance difference at most when CPU performance is the limiting factor.

The hardware looks pretty good overall, though if you haven't assembled the system yet, it's worth noting that the motherboard might not have a BIOS installed that supports booting with the new Ryzen 3000 processors out-of-the-box. Boards manufactured since those processors came out will likely support a 3600, but B450 boards built much before their release probably won't.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Most game "vs" online show the i5-9400F having a slight edge to the 2600. It's basically Intel's high IPC vs Ryzen's 12 threads. You won't be sorry with either build.
I just recently built a severe budget i5-9400f/RX 570 build, btw. The new owner is thrilled. He was a console gamer till that build.