Question Building a new PC with Windows 10, can I transfer files/apps from old PC?

Aug 2, 2020
So, I've been trying for weeks to upgrade my Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, but every time it gets to 100% and 'your PC will restart in a moment', it crashes back to my desktop with 'Windows 10 installation has failed.' I fought and fought with this, tried everything that was recommend to me, and I've pretty much given up on this endeavor. It's entirely impossible from my point of view. Now, this is only important because I wanted to make it easier to transfer everything from my current Hard Drive onto the new one I'm purchasing for a new gaming PC I'm working on. There's lots of games I wanna play, but can't without Windows 10!

So, my current question is: since I can't upgrade, will there be any way to transfer stuff from my old Hard Drive onto the new one once I get it? Looking through some threads, I saw that files can simply be copy/pasted, but things like my apps will have to be installed manually on the new drive? Is this correct? Thank you for any help.

Aug 2, 2020
Yes, that's correct.
Okay. About what I expected to hear back. Disappointing, but not an entire disaster. Just timely. I might try the update again on this PC without trying to save the apps. Most are just games and some of those are being stored on another drive anyways. Thanks for the reply.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS