Build Advice Building a new PC workstation

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
Hey guys,

Building a new PC workstation. Its usage will be mainly office work and CAM software (specifically VCarve Pro ATM).

The goal is, obviously, to achieve the best value for money.

I tried to choose the best parts I can afford, considering this PC is suppose to keep running for many years to come.

I know I could choose cheaper parts in some areas, but the total sum is reasonable and I opt to never replace any part, untill the day I will decide to purchase a new rig (excluding the option to add a GPU in the future, as mentioned below).

I chose a PSU that will allow me to add a moderate GPU in the future.

Please consider my options are limited to whatever the specific store I will be buying the PC from is offering.

Would this be a reasonable build?

Processor- Intel Intel Core i7 12700 2.1GHz 25MB Cache s1700 - Tray
CPU Cooler- Antec A400i Neon Lighting CPU Air Cooler
Motherboards for Intel- ASUS ROG Strix B660-G Gaming WiFi LGA1700 Intel B660 DDR5
Memory- Kingston FURY BEAST 2x16GB DDR5 4800MHz CL38
Solid-State Drives (SSD)- Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe 500GB SSD
Power Supply- Corsair 550W Modular Active PFC 80+ Gold RM550x PSU
Case- Antec VSK10 Window Black Micro ATX Case No PSU
Fans, Coolers, Accessories- Corsair ML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan Single Pack
Fans, Coolers, Accessories- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan Single Pack (2 units)

Any advice is welcome!

kanewolf

Titan
Hey guys,

Building a new PC workstation. Its usage will be mainly office work and CAM software (specifically VCarve Pro ATM).

The goal is, obviously, to achieve the best value for money.

I tried to choose the best parts I can afford, considering this PC is suppose to keep running for many years to come.

I know I could choose cheaper parts in some areas, but the total sum is reasonable and I opt to never replace any part, untill the day I will decide to purchase a new rig (excluding the option to add a GPU in the future, as mentioned below).

I chose a PSU that will allow me to add a moderate GPU in the future.

Please consider my options are limited to whatever the specific store I will be buying the PC from is offering.

Would this be a reasonable build?

Processor- Intel Intel Core i7 12700 2.1GHz 25MB Cache s1700 - Tray
CPU Cooler- Antec A400i Neon Lighting CPU Air Cooler
Motherboards for Intel- ASUS ROG Strix B660-G Gaming WiFi LGA1700 Intel B660 DDR5
Memory- Kingston FURY BEAST 2x16GB DDR5 4800MHz CL38
Solid-State Drives (SSD)- Samsung 980 PRO M.2 NVMe 500GB SSD
Power Supply- Corsair 550W Modular Active PFC 80+ Gold RM550x PSU
Case- Antec VSK10 Window Black Micro ATX Case No PSU
Fans, Coolers, Accessories- Corsair ML120 PRO RGB LED 120MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan Single Pack
Fans, Coolers, Accessories- Corsair ML140 PRO RGB LED 140MM PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan Single Pack (2 units)

Any advice is welcome!
You are trying to build a CAD workstation without a graphics card ?

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
You are trying to build a CAD workstation without a graphics card ?

A CAM workstation. The program I'm using is very simple (VCarve Pro), so the integrated GPU should be enough for the time being. I chose an i7 CPU for the longevity of the system and for the option that I would decide to use more demanding software.

Would a 550w PSU suffice in that case?

A CAM workstation. The program I'm using is very simple (VCarve Pro), so the integrated GPU should be enough for the time being. I chose an i7 CPU for the longevity of the system and for the option that I would decide to use more demanding software.

Would a 550w PSU suffice in that case?
The psu should be fine.
It may present a problem if you go the gpu upgrade route.

I was going to suggest trying the stock cooler but I can see your into bling so that's out.

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
What data back up system do you plan ? After all your data ARE your business,
Betting eveything on a single SSD seems a bit optimistic

Most of the data will not be located on this PC. It has a very specific use- CAM. I'll be doing the basic drawing needed to operate a CNC router for woodworking on it. Any way, the data will be also backed up on cloud based storage.

I'll be glad to hear any further suggestions regarding this topic.

Last edited:

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
The psu should be fine.
It may present a problem if you go the gpu upgrade route.

I was going to suggest trying the stock cooler but I can see your into bling so that's out.

You're talking about the CPU cooler, or the cooling solution I chose in general? Becasue the comment above you suggests I should pick a bigger fan... Any way, the Antec CPU cooler is like 20 bucks, so I thought it wouldn't hurt because the PC will be stationed at a caprentry shop. Lots of dust...

Do you think the stock Intel CPU cooler and a single 120mm rear stock fan that comes with the case will suffice?

Last edited:
You're talking about the CPU cooler, or the cooling solution I chose in general? Becasue the comment above you suggests I should pick a bigger fan... Any way, the Antec CPU cooler is like 20 bucks, so I thought it wouldn't hurt because the PC will be stationed at a caprentry shop. Lots of dust...

Do you think the stock Intel CPU cooler and a single 120mm rear stock fan that comes with the case will suffice?
If you buy the boxed version of the cpu it comes with a fan.
Reviews seem to say it works fairly well.

I'd start with the stock cpu and case fans and watch temps.
I can add fans as needed.

the PC will be stationed at a caprentry shop. Lots of dust...

Antec spec sheet says the following. Apparently the only included fan is the rear 120 mm. The others are just mounts and you'd have to buy the fans for them.

Near certainty you'd want at least one front intake for cooling to ensure some front to rear airflow.

It has a lot of openings and case mount points. Wondering if it's the best choice for a carpentry shop.

Up to 2 x 140 mm fans both on the top and in the front.

Air intakes in the front, on the right and left, and at the bottom ensures more airflow.

Pre-installed 120 mm fan in the rear.

Front air intake with minimalism style.

Magnetic dust filter on the top.

Removable dust filter on the bottom.

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
It has a lot of openings and case mount points. Wondering if it's the best choice for a carpentry shop.

I agree. The problem is that the main user of this PC (my brother) asked for a small as possible footprint, and that Antec is basically the only option the computer shop offers.

What about covering the top dust filter with a piece of glass, as it will not be used ATM?

Any way, the PC will not be stationed at the manufacturing area, but in a seperate room used as the office. There will still be dust in the air obviously, but not near as much as in the manufacturing area.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I agree. The problem is that the main user of this PC (my brother) asked for a small as possible footprint, and that Antec is basically the only option the computer shop offers.

What about covering the top dust filter with a piece of glass, as it will not be used ATM?

Any way, the PC will not be stationed at the manufacturing area, but in a seperate room used as the office. There will still be dust in the air obviously, but not near as much as in the manufacturing area.
From reading the requirements of the software you can almost run that on a tablet.

I would drop down to the 12600, mATX board that uses much cheaper DDR4 memory and get a mATX case for the smaller footprint, the 970 EVO drive cost less in most places.

If that shop don't have the parts you can always order them and build it yourself.

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014
From reading the requirements of the software you can almost run that on a tablet.

I would drop down to the 12600, mATX board that uses much cheaper DDR4 memory and get a mATX case for the smaller footprint, the 970 EVO drive cost less in most places.

If that shop don't have the parts you can always order them and build it yourself.
That’s a good idea. I’ll post new configuration soon.

BlackeyeJohn

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2014

New PC config:

Processor- Intel Core i5 12600 / 1700 Tray
CPU Cooler- CoolerMaster Hyper 212 White LED Turbo Cooler
Motherboards for Intel- Gigabyte B660I AORUS PRO DDR4
Memory- Corsair DDR 4 16G (8Gx2) 3200 CL16 VENGEANCE LPX Black
Solid-State Drives (SSD)- Samsung SSD 500GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
Power Supply- ANTEC PSU 650W High Current Gamer Gold
Case- NZXT H210 Matte Black
Fans, Coolers, Accessories- Corsair ML140 140mm PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan Twin Pack (for front sockets)

Your thought guys?

New PC config:

Processor- Intel Core i5 12600 / 1700 Tray
CPU Cooler- CoolerMaster Hyper 212 White LED Turbo Cooler
Motherboards for Intel- Gigabyte B660I AORUS PRO DDR4
Memory- Corsair DDR 4 16G (8Gx2) 3200 CL16 VENGEANCE LPX Black
Solid-State Drives (SSD)- Samsung SSD 500GB 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2
Power Supply- ANTEC PSU 650W High Current Gamer Gold
Case- NZXT H210 Matte Black
Fans, Coolers, Accessories- Corsair ML140 140mm PWM Premium Magnetic Levitation Fan Twin Pack (for front sockets)

Your thought guys?
If your going to go the i5 series you might want to compare the 12500 vs 12600.

Also compare prices on the tray vs boxed version.

Reactions: BlackeyeJohn