Building a New PC

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
As someone who barely follows tech news until the need comes to make a new build,i need some advice completing this build.
After researching for a while, i have already decided some of the main parts for my PC.
So here's what I'm going to buy

Processor- i7-6700k@4.0ghz
Cooler - ?(I'm not going to overclock)
Motherboard - ?(Since i'm not overclocking, i don't think i will need z series motherboard)
Graphics Card - GTX 1070
RAM - ?(Probably 16 GB ddr4)
Storage - WD 1TB Blue Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EZEX) x 2
PSU - ?
Case - ?
DVD player - ?
Operating system - I already have a windows 7 ultimate disk might be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free if i finish this build fast.

Ambient Temperature:- gets over 40°C in Summer.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming > everything else
Budget: Well to be honest, i exceeded my budget so i would like to cut the cost of remaining components as much as possible.
Monitor: Planning to buy an Acer Predator XB241H

Notes:
I'm not going to overclock. The reason i choose 6700k over 6700 is because the K version has superior clock speed(4.0ghz compared 3.4ghz on non k).So the K version feels like a factory overclocked version of non-k. It doesn't come with cooler so i want a cheap one that doesn't have any problem cooling the processor in stock clock.

I'm mostly thinking about MSI's gaming x gtx 1070 due to the good reviews it's getting. Although Zotac's AMP extreme seems to be cheaper than the MSI here while also sporting a 5 year warranty.So I'm torn between the two. Msi gaming x seems to also have better cooling which is appreciated considering ambient temperature here goes over 40°C at summer. The last thing i want is thermal throttling due to high temp!

I'm confused on the RAM part, the higher frequency it gets, the more CAS latency it has? Does this CAS latency have any relation with internet latency in Multiplayer game? If so should i opt for a lower frequency?

For the cooler, go for a Cryorig H7.

PSU, cheapest you should go is Seasonic S12II 520W. If you want fully modular cabling go for the equivalent M12II or an EVGA G2/P2.

Optical disc drive is pretty much the same whichever one you get (unless you need LightScribe).

Instead of buying 2 1TB WD Blues just buy a 2TB Seagate Barracuda. The WD Blues and the Barracuda aren't very different.

For the GPU, yeah just go for the MSI Gaming X GTX 1070.

RAM is pretty much down to looks and frequency when you're buying from reputable brands. CAS Latency is basically how long it takes for the RAM to access data stored on it, but generally the increase in frequency outweighs the increase in CAS latency. Go for the highest frequency RAM you can get without paying too much.

For the motherboard, I'd recommend the MSI Z170 SLI PLUS. Z170 boards are generally of higher quality and also are the only ones that support XMP (which you need to utilize higher speed RAM).

Jester Maroc

Distinguished
Here is a solid build within the parameters you supplied:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: CRYORIG C7 40.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($37.49 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock Z170 Pro4S ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($82.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($58.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($74.55 @ B&H)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($429.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($39.89 @ OutletPC)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($106.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $1175.87
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-25 14:47 EDT-0400

Jester Maroc

Distinguished

LOL! Good point.

However, ambient temps for me can also reach 40c in the summer (Zambia, Africa) on rare occasions, and my Arctic Freezer 13 keeps my CPU below 55c for the most part, only under heavy load does it sometimes approach 60c. No overclock on my i5-3470 though.

Chriscaruso

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2015
PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KsLskT
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KsLskT/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($344.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.89 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: ASRock H170M Pro4 Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($71.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($73.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($41.88 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($60.00 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB Video Card ($429.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($58.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($25.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1131.71
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-07-25 15:48 EDT-0400

I tried to give you a all black theme leaving you the option later to add LED lighting in if you wanted too. Also I recommend adding a SSD as to any system as it will speed your boot time dramatically also storing important programs on it that you use often will shorten the application opening speed. The case I picked out is a personal favorite of mine right now as it combines a luxury feel at a afforable price and I personally am a fan of MicroATX Units. Hope this build works for you

Also if you are looking to save on certain places, the memory can be switched out for cheaper sticks, but I have and always will be a fan of the HyperX line

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I went with 2 1TB because that would let me backup the main drive on the secondary drive.

I looked up XMP, seems something do with overclocking? What is max speed a non z motherboard supports? is it worth it going for a z series just for ram?

Yeah, i think i would most likely go with gaming x. It's sad i can't find any benchmarks between the amp extreme and gaming x. Do you know at what temperature does 1070 starts throttling? For reference, i currently have an asus dcu ii gtx 670 and at max load it gets to 73-74°C with 100% fan speed.

Is 40C that bad for a processor? Let's say if 6700k came with a stock cooler,would you advice against using it?

Unfortunatly i can't find any cryorig stuffs here. Since i plan on not upgrading for at least 3-4 years, i won't be doing a SLI. In the past i did consider a crossfire rx480 instead of 1070 but decided against it due to the problems i would encounter in dual gpu setups.

Well if i opt for an 120 gb ssd, i don't think i would be able to store much else than the operating system.Having windows boot up faster is good but since i rarely shut the pc down and usually have it running constantly for like 10-13 hours. So basically i would at most experience the speedy startup twice per day. Of course this add up in time, i might consider it.

Well for someone who exceeded their budget, aesthetics are usually the least of my concern. I think i should get a case that deals better with airflow and dust than having a luxurious feel.

The rest of your build seems solid.

XMP is basically Intel's way of doing the overclocking for you. Normally, all RAM chips of a certain type must be able to run at least at a certain speed with a certain voltage (in DDR4's case this is 2133MHz). However because some chips come out better than others, brands will "bin" the RAM chips and put better ones on different sticks, then "overclock" those sticks. So instead of having to rely on a memory-side silicon lottery and overclocking the RAM yourself, you can just buy RAM rated at higher speeds, enabled XMP, and you're fine (well, extremely high speed RAM may require manual tuning, but up to 3000MHz with DDR4 you're 100% fine).

You can get Z series boards for almost as much as the cheaper chipsets, and Z series boards are most of the time of higher quality as well, so it'd also last longer.

GPUs start to thermal throttle around 90+ C. With the power efficiency improvements of Pascal, you won't ever experience thermal throttling with an MSI Gaming X (although it may get a little louder during the summer :p).

Unlocked Skylake CPUs don't come with a stock cooler, and even if they did (this has been tested) they thermal throttle even with reasonable ambient temperature if subjected to heavy load. So at 40C ambient you'd probably thermal throttle playing League of Legends or something if you put a stock cooler on the 6700k.

Can you find the Be Quiet! Dark Rock 3? If not, please list the top brands you can find.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Hmm with XMP, intel automatically does the overclock for you? That looks interesting. And i can find non-z board considerably cheaper, cheapest motherboard i found is a MSI H110M Pro-VD at $67 while the cheapest z series board i could find is a MSI Z170A PC MATE at $154.So it all boils to the fact that how much difference the extra ram speed makes in FPS and it's cost per performance.

Wow 90C, was it always like that? I heard 600 series throttle at 70C which made me worried as my current gtx 670 goes slightly above that during high loads. If pascal GPU's throttle at 90C then i could also consider the amp extreme for it's superior boost clock speed and 5 yrs warranty.

So even if i would have went for non-k 6700, i still need to buy a cooler? If only intel could make their stock cooler work as good as GPU coolers.. one can wish.

Nope i can't find any be quiet either. However i can find the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO as the other poster specified. I can also find Cooler Master Hyper 212X surprisingly cheaper than EVO. The cheapest i can find is Cooler Master Hyper 103 almost cheaper than 212x by $20 .

In a nutshell, XMP allows you to run higher speed RAM without having to set the settings yourself. This doesn't mean that XMP can turn a 2133MHz stick into a 3000MHz one, it means that if you buy 2666MHz RAM you can run it at 2666MHz by just turning on XMP.

H110 boards are, for lack of a better phrase, kinda crap. Go for Z170.

Yes, at 40C ambient you will need an aftermarket cooler. The 212X will be fine.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Don't they come up with any warranty? I can find MSI,Asrock,Asus,Gigabyte h110 board. Aren't these reputed brands?

What do you think about Hyper 103?

Hyper 103 is pretty weak, wouldn't recommend it.

Yes the boards have warranty, but do you really want to be sending your board back every few months just to save 30$? Think of it like using a cheap scrap gearbox with a V8 engine. MSI, asrock, Asus, and Gigabyte are reputable brands alright, but remember that you get what you pay for. The manufacturer expects that you'll be putting an i3 at best if you're buying this cheap a motherboard and not pairing it with anything that even comes close to being considered a mid-range graphics card. Put a higher wattage chip in it and start pulling 60+ watts from the PCIe power lanes and it's not going to live very long by motherboard standards.

Seriously, you're buying a high end system, just put in the little extra money for a Z170 board and never have to worry about it.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Ok, what do you think about there z series boards?
ASRock Z170A-X1
ASRock Z170A-X1/3.1(listed as out of stock for now)
MSI Z170A PC MATE
MSI Z170A Pro
Asrock Z170 Pro4

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Ah crap, that MSI Z170A Pro was actually out of stock, i will see if i can find them to restock meanwhile do you have any second choices?
On a side note, i found Gigabyte GTX 1070 Xtreme Gaming cheaper than gaming x. Might get that if it doesn't go out of stock.
So i should look for 3000 mhz ram next,right? If so what CAS latency should i aim for?

Gigabyte's Xtreme cards have a track record of being awesome for overclocking, I can't recommend them enough.

Second pick would be ASRock Z170 Pro4

For the RAM go as high as you can with the frequency without spending too much. For CAS latency, the lower the better.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Yea, I can see about 101mhz more boost clock than gaming x.

The cheapest 3k ram i can find is G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 F4-3000C15D-16GRBB 16GB RAM. I think 15 is the lowest cas latency at 3k.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Ok, so what remains is the PSU and case. You said i need 520W but another said i need 650W? Any way to calculate? And last but not least the case, considering my summer temperature, i really need a case with good airflow. I currently have a mid tower so i guess i can accommodate a mid tower but if i can get a full tower with good airflow at cheaper cost, I'm willing to go for that too.

As far as airflow goes the fans will play a bigger role than the tower itself. One case I can recommend is the Coolermaster MasterCase 5 Pro (if you can't afford the Pro right now that's fine as the MasterCase can be upgraded with parts from CoolerMaster's website, although buying the upgrades separately ends up being more expensive in total).

For the PSU you can go as low as a Seasonic S12II 520W. It's cheap, and it's good. You would have to deal with the non-modular cabling though. If you're willing to buy something fancier, EVGA 550W G2 or P2 would be a good choice.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

That non Pro MasterCase seems to be expensive and over the budget. My current PC uses Coolermaster elite 431 plus. Could you find a case in that budget range?

I can find Seasonic S12II 520W but i can't find any evga here. They don't even have a service center here.
But do you think it will be enough though?
Here's the updated list
Processor- i7-6700k@4.0ghz
Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212X
Motherboard - MSI Z170A Pro/ASRock Z170 Pro4
Graphics Card - Gigabyte Xtreme GTX 1070
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws 4 DDR4 F4-3000C15D-16GRBB 16GB RAM
Storage - WD 1TB Blue Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EZEX) x 2
So how much power do you think it will take under full load? A case fan will also add to the load.