Building a New PC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
As someone who barely follows tech news until the need comes to make a new build,i need some advice completing this build.
After researching for a while, i have already decided some of the main parts for my PC.
So here's what I'm going to buy

Processor- i7-6700k@4.0ghz
Cooler - ?(I'm not going to overclock)
Motherboard - ?(Since i'm not overclocking, i don't think i will need z series motherboard)
Graphics Card - GTX 1070
RAM - ?(Probably 16 GB ddr4)
Storage - WD 1TB Blue Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EZEX) x 2
PSU - ?
Case - ?
DVD player - ?
Operating system - I already have a windows 7 ultimate disk might be able to upgrade to windows 10 for free if i finish this build fast.

Ambient Temperature:- gets over 40°C in Summer.
System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming > everything else
Budget: Well to be honest, i exceeded my budget so i would like to cut the cost of remaining components as much as possible.
Monitor: Planning to buy an Acer Predator XB241H

Notes:
I'm not going to overclock. The reason i choose 6700k over 6700 is because the K version has superior clock speed(4.0ghz compared 3.4ghz on non k).So the K version feels like a factory overclocked version of non-k. It doesn't come with cooler so i want a cheap one that doesn't have any problem cooling the processor in stock clock.

I'm mostly thinking about MSI's gaming x gtx 1070 due to the good reviews it's getting. Although Zotac's AMP extreme seems to be cheaper than the MSI here while also sporting a 5 year warranty.So I'm torn between the two. Msi gaming x seems to also have better cooling which is appreciated considering ambient temperature here goes over 40°C at summer. The last thing i want is thermal throttling due to high temp!

I'm confused on the RAM part, the higher frequency it gets, the more CAS latency it has? Does this CAS latency have any relation with internet latency in Multiplayer game? If so should i opt for a lower frequency?

Under load? 300W peak (and 99% of the time it won't even hit peak). Fans barely consume any power, the main components taken into consideration for PSU wattage are graphics cards and CPUs.

Honestly just pick whatever case you find most aesthetically pleasing. Airflow won't actually depend so much on the case's internal configuration as it will on the fans.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

I think I'm going with Cooler Master HAF912 as it's the third best rated case in newegg. It comes with a front and a rear fan.
Also i heard some cards are big and could be problem fitting them to a motherboard or case.
Is 1070 xtreme gaming big enough to be a problem?

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016
Sorry for the late reply but it seems G.Skill F4-3000C15D-16GRBB is not compatible with z170 boards. I tried emailing them they gave a reply after few days with a link which specifies ram compatible with MSI Z170-A Pro. Seems the one i suggested is listed as compatible with x99 platform. Aren't x99 and z170 both similar, they both seem to have XMP so would F4-3000C15D-16GRBB work with z170?

Also is there any difference between Trident z and Ripjaws V when speed and cas latency are the same between the two?

There's no good reason why it shouldn't work with Z170. The "RAM compatibility list" only specifies which RAM is compatible according to the manufacturer's testing. This doesn't mean other RAM won't work, it just means that other RAM hasn't been tested for that motherboard.

With identical speed and latency the performance will be reasonably the same.

Deadly Mak

Commendable
Jul 10, 2016

Ah thanks, was kinda confused when they gave me the motherboard compatibility link. Must have been a generic copy paste reply.