[SOLVED] Building a new PC

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Hello there,

I am new to this forum but have used it in the passed for brief research.

I am finally about to begin building my desktop, I have some idea, and just wanting general opinions and ideas.
I am happy with the 3950x CPU - Although willing to consider other options
MOBO I am still unsure. Feel I should fill in the blanks I have atm then pick the best MOBO.
Case, big one I think. Want room for expansion ect.
Radiators, fans I am happy for suggestions. I am not RGB crazy but wont not get a decent fan because it has it.
I am going to use my 1050TI GPU for now, then upgrade it to the new series when they release. I understand this will cause a bottle neck ect, but im confident it will be worth it. (i will water cool the new one)
In terms of storage, I will have a PCIE ssd, M.2 ssd (maybe 2), standard ssd (sata) and a hdd. I am unsure of sizes at the moment, but 2tb hdd, and 500 for the rest is ball park what im looking for.
Now, one of my concerns/problems, is I want the pc to be able to boot as fast as possible WHY, ITS A WASTE OF MONEY, YOURE STUPID please keep these comments to yourself, thats what I want, and if you dont want to tell me why without attempting to belittle me, just keep scrolling please. Now I believe, but I am not sure, that you can do this from from any storage device providing the mobo supports it? Is this the case? Will the PCIE be the best to boot from? Whats the draw backs of using the PCIE, if any? How do I configure this, similar to any other, through the BIOS/UEFI?
I want to do a custom water cool loop, that is for sure. I am considering water cooling the ram and the PCIE ssd and the M.2 (although I have not looked into the feasibility of this). Why? Because I want to, regardless of if it will offer little to no improved performance, I want to. I dont want some wise ass telling me its a waste of money, I really dont care, Its my money. I have heard people saying that parts of the ssds have to run at a particular temp and the water cooling with hinder this? Although I've seen more poeple speaking about improved performance. Thoughts? I believe I will do two water loops as mentioned before I want to water cool the future GPU, and cooling that along with the ssd's and cpu believe that it may be better to run two loops? As i understand it, doing two is better because obviously the the liquid is cooling less components and so stays cooler. However, are there any draw backs? cost of extra pump, liquid ect, but anything else? Any idea, or things to look for when doing this? Is there like a generic formula for calculating what pump I will need? I would assume you will need to know length of tubing used (which will be hard or metal, not soft) and amount of liquid?
As this will be my first water cooling system, is there any tips? Have PTFE tape to hand? but anything else? I also definitely want to pressure test the system before filling with liquid. I am a moron (as name entails) and would like to make sure the system is good to go before filling. Question, do i evaluate the pressure the pump with exert and pressure test at 10% higher or so? or is there a generic value that is consider good? What do I pressure test with? A standard compressor? or do I need to fill with....Nitrogen or pure o2? Would I also just used a standard 'plumber' gauge? would finding an adapter to fit it to the loop be easy enough?

I open to suggestions on anything, just don't be a condescending D***.

Thanks for your time and appreciate that this very 'thrown together'. I just wanted to get all my ideas out on the page.

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Budget is 5k. This includes a new chair, 2 monitors and a headset. Monitor criteria is 144hz, 2560, 1ms. Think around 500 for 2. chair is like 450....so, 4k? ish
Shopping in the UK.

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Update:

So my current PC is starting to slowly die. I'm going to have to look at purchasing the above components very soon. Given the current climate, it is imperative I have the availability to work from home, and I'm certain this virus is going to increase delivery times of components.

Some things listed above I know I can consider at a later date. What I need to know to get the ball rolling is, what MOBO. It needs to have 2 M.2 and allow for it to be the boot drive. Also must support 3950x. I dont believe there is such thing as water cooling compatibility but if there is, that will also have to be considered.

Im probably going for a WD black drive ~ 2TB (not hugely detrimental) and 970 evo SSD's.

Am I forgetting anything?

Thanks.

Fun stuff!!
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor (£679.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard (£449.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£208.25 @ Newegg UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£209.99 @ AWD-IT)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£104.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card (£1109.93 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Light ATX Mid Tower Case (£158.58 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£115.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (£389.99 @ Box Limited)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (£459.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £3887.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 18:11 BST+0100

Just add Water Cooling, Chair, and Headset

That mobo has water cooling ports on the VRM heatsinks
GPU is a pricing stand-in
The SSD is PCIe Gen4
Case is pretty subjective, but I think the Define 7 looks pretty handsome.
The Asus VG27AQ can do backlight strobing AT THE SAME TIME as variable refresh. That'd be great for gaming, but you probably don't need your secondary monitor to cost that much. I'm not sure how Windows handles multiple refresh rates on non-gaming usage. Might be nice to have 144Hz for your secondary.
Not sure if you want a stand-in CPU cooler until you get your custom loop stuff set up...?

Last edited:
Solution

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
Fun stuff!!
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 3.5 GHz 16-Core Processor (£679.99 @ Amazon UK)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard (£449.99 @ AWD-IT)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory (£208.25 @ Newegg UK)
Storage: ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive (£209.99 @ AWD-IT)
Storage: Western Digital Red 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive (£104.97 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti 11 GB AORUS Video Card (£1109.93 @ Ebuyer)
Case: Fractal Design Define 7 Light ATX Mid Tower Case (£158.58 @ Novatech)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (£115.47 @ Scan.co.uk)
Monitor: Acer XV272U Pbmiiprzx 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (£389.99 @ Box Limited)
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor (£459.99 @ Box Limited)
Total: £3887.15
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-10 18:11 BST+0100

Just add Water Cooling, Chair, and Headset

That mobo has water cooling ports on the VRM heatsinks
GPU is a pricing stand-in
The SSD is PCIe Gen4
Case is pretty subjective, but I think the Define 7 looks pretty handsome.
The Asus VG27AQ can do backlight strobing AT THE SAME TIME as variable refresh. That'd be great for gaming, but you probably don't need your secondary monitor to cost that much. I'm not sure how Windows handles multiple refresh rates on non-gaming usage. Might be nice to have 144Hz for your secondary.
Not sure if you want a stand-in CPU cooler until you get your custom loop stuff set up...?

This is awesome, thank you for such a detailed response. I intend on doing the custom loop from the get go. A single loop for the vrm and CPU should be fine for now I would have thought. Later If i want to do the ram/ssd/gpu I will run a separate loop most likely. I am assuming I will need to look at some dimensions on the water block to ensure it will fit? The Optimus Foundation seems promising. Thinking one 360mm radiator should be good enough? Also need to look at fans. Another point worth mentioning. I do not care about sound. Fans can be as loud as they wish.
WD black instead of red maybe?
With the memory, I thought about getting 32gbx2, (Corsair Vengeance LPX 64 GB) leaving room for another 2 if needed in the future?

My stance on HDDs is that you run all your programs and games off the SSD. Your music, pictures, videos, documents are on the HDD. At that point, having a 7200rpm HDD isn't important.

On the RAM, sure. I didn't know how much money I had to leave for your loop, chair, and headset, so....

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
yea, I understand. You are probably right, and that hdd will be more than satisfactory. I appreciate you maintaining the limits of the budget. I think I can shave some money off the monitors too. The second one is more for convenience and I am quite happy with a 75hz TN, fairly cheaper. I am also looking at a bigger case. As this is my first, I do not want to run in to space issues. I know the sort of cases I am looking at are complete overkill and will look ridiculous with so little in there but I would rather be safe than sorry. I can also use it as a learning curve for my next build. One of the huge ones I am looking at is Thermaltake Level 20 HT.

Thanks for your quick response again.

Not sure what tier of next gen GPU you're getting, but I showed that you can get a RTX2080Ti within your budget which would be a shame to pair with a 75Hz monitor (let alone a TN one with your budget).

If you're only going to have a single GPU and a couple hard drives, there's no reason to go with monstrous cases. The Define 7 can fit up to a 420mm radiator in the top, and a 240/280mm rad in the bottom. That leaves the 3x140mm front fans for unobstructed intake, and the 140mm exhaust fan. Trust me, the Define 7 is a good size.

TraineeIdiot

Commendable
Apr 7, 2020
I'm looking for the next gen, whether its called 3080 or not, I am not sure , but I will be using 144hz ips monitor. Its just my second monitor I am happy to have at a lower spec. Ok mate, the define 7 it is. Thank you so much for all your help. I will update the thread as I go.
Suggestions on fans?

Oh, I understand now. I missed the mention about the "secondary" monitor. As I was saying, outside of gaming, Windows can only run at one refresh rate, so that will be the slowest of all connected monitors.

Fans for your rad(s) - are we talking RGB or no?