Build Advice Building a new PC

Jun 26, 2023
Where are you shopping?

For instance, the price on that Samsung 2.5" 500GB drive is absolutely nuts. Crutial P3 Plus M.2 NVME drive is only ~$27 right now, shipped.
Sorry about that The 500GB evo is from my old build but I will take a look at the NVME Drive.
Thanks!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

Boot drive! It's perfect for that.

I dunno man... I wouldn't touch a 500GB drive with a 10 ft pole... SSD prices are so cheap now that to me it makes no sense to waste a m.2 slot on a 500GB drive.

If the guy is rolling over a SATA drive from a previous build that's a different story but no way would I buy something that small today in m.2 format.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
I dunno man... I wouldn't touch a 500GB drive with a 10 ft pole... SSD prices are so cheap now that to me it makes no sense to waste a m.2 slot on a 500GB drive.

If the guy is rolling over a SATA drive from a previous build that's a different story but no way would I buy something that small today in m.2 format.
I prefer to also have my boot drive separate just for OS and programs.
But if you just use one drive for everything then yes a bigger drive.

D

Deleted member 2838871

I prefer to also have my boot drive separate just for OS and programs.
But if you just use one drive for everything then yes a bigger drive.

Is there some perk to keeping the OS separate? I mean, I have 4x 2TB 990 Pro drives on my board... boot C: and then put games and other programs on the other 3 drives... but I also put games and programs on C. I basically spread the data around.

That being said... my C: drive right now has like 800GB of 2TB free. Is Windows gonna load a 1/2 second faster if it was on a 500GB drive or is there some other reason you like to keep it separate?

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Is there some perk to keeping the OS separate? I mean, I have 4x 2TB 990 Pro drives on my board... boot C: and then put games and other programs on the other 3 drives... but I also put games and programs on C. I basically spread the data around.

That being said... my C: drive right now has like 800GB of 2TB free. Is Windows gonna load a 1/2 second faster if it was on a 500GB drive or is there some other reason you like to keep it separate?
It depends on what you use the PC for.
If it was mainly gaming with steam games then absolutely 2 drives. Steam would be on your C drive but all games could be directed to another drive. If your C drive failed you wouldn't need to reinstall all those games.

Edit not at my PC now but my C drive has about 120GB used of 500.
I have 3 other SSD's for games and other things.

D

Deleted member 2838871

It depends on what you use the PC for.

Gotcha... yeah it makes sense. I have my game libraries (Steam, Blizzard, GoG, etc) on separate drives with utility programs going on C... along with VR Oculus stuff.

I don't much care really I just spread it around to keep the usage somewhat even. When these get full I have another 8TB waiting in the wings anyway. :ROFLMAO:

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Is there some perk to keeping the OS separate?

The best reason that I have for keeping your OS and data separated is strictly for easy backups and easy recovery if you catch something nasty. Far easier to just wipe a drive with (almost) nothing aside from OS and apps/programs needed to run directly with the use of the machine.

IMO a 250GB drive is still useful for that alone, but as is mentioned above the current INSANE low pricing on SSD right now makes that irrelevant. 1TB drives are at prices I have never known or seen. Great time to pick some up and stick back in stock for use later.

D

Deleted member 2838871

but as is mentioned above the current INSANE low pricing on SSD right now makes that irrelevant. 1TB drives are at prices I have never known or seen. Great time to pick some up and stick back in stock for use later.

Yep... and my laptop was just finished today and will be on the way soon. Ordered it with the bare minimum 512GB drive and will be upgrading to bigger and better... 4 m.2 slots on a laptop. :ROFLMAO:

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Yep... and my laptop was just finished today and will be on the way soon. Ordered it with the bare minimum 512GB drive and will be upgrading to bigger and better... 4 m.2 slots on a laptop. :ROFLMAO:
Have you ever noticed that almost all of your post are bragging about your disposable income being put in your post about the max PC you have? :triumph:(n)(n):unsure::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

Good time for Ignore

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *Intel Core i7-13700 2.1 GHz 16-Core Processor ($349.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: *Deepcool AG620 BK ARGB 67.88 CFM CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI B760 GAMING PLUS WIFI ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($164.99 @ B&H)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws S5 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6400 CL32 Memory ($102.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card ($949.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair RM1000e (2023) 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Operating System: *Microsoft Windows 11 Home OEM - DVD 64-bit ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1997.92
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-06-27 01:04 EDT-0400