Building a new PC

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
Building a new PC and these are the components so far:

Antec NSK6500 with 430W PSU
ANTEC 80mm SmartCool case fan
Asus P5B-DX
OCZ 2Gb (1Gb X2) DDR2-800 Dual Channel Titanium XTC (4-4-4-15)
C2D E6600
Cooler Master Hyper-TX
Ausus N8600GT with 256 MB
WD Cariar SE16 500 Gb
LG DVD-Writer

This PC will be used for surfing, burning CD/DVD, MS Office application. I do not game much so I do not need SLI. I would OC moderately, maybe 10%. I would like to build a reliable , quiet PC.

Please give me your comments. Thanks.

Cyrezz

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2007
If you want a cheater computer, take a E2140 with a artic freezer 7 og scythe infinity an OC it.

Dont think u need more for surfing, burning dvd, word, etc.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
For what you do if you don't want to more seriously overclock you could go with the 6300 or at most 6400. If you want to save even more, AMD X2 would save you even more. I do pretty much what you doplus some video editing and have a X2 3800 and X2 4200 that work fine. You might want to look at the Antec Sonata II, very quiet and easy to work with and has a better PSU. Costs about $99. I'd put some of the savings into a smaller 2nd hard drive for the OS and programs and use the 500 for storage, saves the hassle of partitioning unless you want to partition the 500 to make it easier to organize stuff. I'd also put together and external drive for back up. Then with the rest of my savings I'd buy beer :) What is your budget?

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I looked at the Sonato series, first of all, it's a mini-tower and I am not too crazy about the front cover. I prefer all the drives to be easily assessible.

I read that there will be a price cut of Intel processors in Jul-22. I will probably wait for that.

I know that my requirements do not call for a super PC. Since I want this PC to be fast and I will probably keep this PC for a number of years, I don't mind to pay more to over-provision and not to over-work the components.

I am now looking at the Asus P5K series of MB. I am also looking at the 150 Gb WD Raptor for OS/program and a 2nd drive (maybe the 500 Gb WD Carviar) for storage.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
I looked at the Sonato series, first of all, it's a mini-tower and I am not too crazy about the front cover. I prefer all the drives to be easily assessible.

I read that there will be a price cut of Intel processors in Jul-22. I will probably wait for that.

I know that my requirements do not call for a super PC. Since I want this PC to be fast and I will probably keep this PC for a number of years, I don't mind to pay more to over-provision and not to over-work the components.

I am now looking at the Asus P5K series of MB. I am also looking at the 150 Gb WD Raptor for OS/program and a 2nd drive (maybe the 500 Gb WD Carviar) for storage.

Actually, the Sonata II is a mid tower not a mini tower. Given your forward thinking would be worth while reading some reviews of the P35 mobo

mis33

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2007
I should probably include Asus Commando in my MB choices. I have read good reviews on this board. It support quad core if I decide on a Q6600 after the price cut,.

P35 mb has DDR3 support but it would be expensive for the next few months and its current perfromance is only slightly better than DDR2. Once I build this PC, I would keep it for a few years without any changes.