Building a new rig and need insight on Cooling.

ProggyHD

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015
Hey everyone! I'm in the process of building a new rig.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Mkkid91/saved/#view=sGWgLk

The GPU is actually the 1070ti Founders card (first blower card i've owned). I don't have much experience with building for good airflow and I've read and been told that the blower cards obviously run hotter.

Basically I was curious what everyone else's experience with blower cards is and how you maintained cool CPU and GPU load temps? I was thinking about getting the CoolerMaster xb evo cube case cause from the reviews it has excellent airflow but doesn't really show off the gear or leds that i have on my components. I then thought of maybe liquid cooling the CPU and GPU in an Entho Pro M case. Then, my buddy offered to sell me the MasterCase H500P for 80 bucks without the mesh and just buy a separate front mesh guard. Ive seen a lot of mixed reviews on that case though.

What do you guys all think? Will I be good with just a pull setup from the front fans and exhaust from the back and top or just spend some extra and liquid cool it? Also I realize I have no SSD on there because I'm probably going to use the ones I have now.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
The MSI card is a great aftermarket 1070ti because of the twin frozr fans. I have an MSI 1080 myself and I have to say, I am really impressed with the quality of the fans. Honestly with open back headphones in I can't hear a single thing until 100% fan speed. If you do decide you want a custom fan curve the MSI fans will do the job perfectly. Under load, my card never gets above 65 Degrees Celcius. As for the ryzen CPU, all you need is a hyper 212 Evo which has a red led option for the same price. When talking about airflow stick with those corsair fans and position them so that there are two intakes in the front, 2 up top exhausting (if you have the option for 2, or even 1). and 1 in the back for exhaust. The hyper 212 Evo should be...
the link you shown shows an aftermarket card.

no, you don't need liquid cooling, 1600 doesn't produce excessive amount of heat, i'm getting 55~ish C with 22 C ambient room temperature on stock cooler in games (oc to 3.8Ghz on 1.3V)

ProggyHD

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

Yeah, I couldn't find the founders card on Part Picker. Thanks for the reply!

blower style card tends to be runs hotter, and the fan is usually load when you crank up its rpm.

but i don't think it's to a point where it will affect your game play. most of the graphics card (1070 and up) pre-build system from dell, hp, acer, lenovo are blower style. they do run hotter, but game play is still smooth.

ProggyHD

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

I have the 1070 Ti Founders, PSU, Mobo, SSDs. Just need the Ram, CPU, Case and fans.

I'm not worried about the CPU so much as I am the GPU being a blower card.

Thanks,

logainofhades

Titan

This case has plenty of fans included. You can add LED strips for lighting, if you want that. Those sickle flow fans are not all that good. The LED I added are magnetic, so easy to place how you want.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($175.79 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: MSI - B350 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Team - T-FORCE VULCAN TUF Gaming Allian 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: MSI - GeForce GTX 1070 Ti 8GB Video Card ($504.98 @ Newegg)
Case: NZXT - H440 (Matte Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Headphones: Audio-Technica - ATH-M40x Headphones ($99.00 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Other: BitFenix BFA-MAG-30RK15-RP Magnetic LED-Strip 30CM 15 LED Red ($14.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $1189.72
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-05-16 15:13 EDT-0400

xander.dec

Reputable
May 13, 2018
The MSI card is a great aftermarket 1070ti because of the twin frozr fans. I have an MSI 1080 myself and I have to say, I am really impressed with the quality of the fans. Honestly with open back headphones in I can't hear a single thing until 100% fan speed. If you do decide you want a custom fan curve the MSI fans will do the job perfectly. Under load, my card never gets above 65 Degrees Celcius. As for the ryzen CPU, all you need is a hyper 212 Evo which has a red led option for the same price. When talking about airflow stick with those corsair fans and position them so that there are two intakes in the front, 2 up top exhausting (if you have the option for 2, or even 1). and 1 in the back for exhaust. The hyper 212 Evo should be intaking in the same direction as the front fans. This is the best airflow arrangement for any computer with your specs. Hope this helped

Solution

ProggyHD

Reputable
Apr 12, 2015

You know I'm really regretting getting the founders card because everyone knocks the blower cards so much but for 454 It was the best deal I've seen in 5 months. I began buying my components in December and finally was able to buy a 1070ti for under 600 and even 500 dollars. But I think it'll work for now! I'm upgrading from a 750 TI Strix so its more than an upgrade.

Thanks for the tips everyone!