[SOLVED] Building a new rig, having issues connecting my cooler

doucette_j

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
So I bought an ASUS TUF GAMING X570-Plus WIFI motherboard, and a Corsair H100i Platinum cooler, but upon installing everything in the case and attempting to connect everything, I noticed the cooler has male connections, and so does my motherboard....

Is this normal ? Are there typically compatibility issues with this type of liquid cooler ? I've looked at both manuals and support sites but nowhere does it list compatibility between each component.

Solution
the motherboard has 4 pin PWM fan ports so you can use PWM fans and control them how you like.

a lot of coolers have DC(3 pin) cables running from the motherboard. then they have their fans connected to their own built in PWM controller that allows the cooler's fan speed curve profiles to be set through their own proprietary software.

if you want to bypass this you just plug the cooler's fans directly into the motherboard bypassing the cooler's fan ports and built in controller.

doucette_j

Prominent
Nov 11, 2018
So I think I've figured it out, but quick question - for the tac cable that connects to the CPU Fan slot on the motherboard... the motherboard has 4 pins, what exactly is the CPU FAN PWN pin for if the connector off the Corsair H100i is a 3 pin connector and doesn't touch that PWN pin on the board ?

the motherboard has 4 pin PWM fan ports so you can use PWM fans and control them how you like.

a lot of coolers have DC(3 pin) cables running from the motherboard. then they have their fans connected to their own built in PWM controller that allows the cooler's fan speed curve profiles to be set through their own proprietary software.

if you want to bypass this you just plug the cooler's fans directly into the motherboard bypassing the cooler's fan ports and built in controller.

Solution