KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
I am building a new pc, and I need to know since it has been literal years since I have done this, what order to do this in. I currently have windows 7 in my rig, but I am going to be upgrading to windows 10. So I have a windows 10 installer, ryzen 7 2700x cpu, a 500gb ssd, corsair h100i cooler, 2 16gb corsair ddr4 sticks. I need to know should I install windows 10 to the new HD while still using the windows 7 ssd or is it safe to go ahead and install ALL new hardware, build the system, and then for the final step install windows 10 by booting from the USB? I guess I just need a general order of steps to be taken. Like I said it has been years since I built a pc, this isnt something I do on a regular basis, and I just want to make sure I double check with someone else before I do this. Sort of like two sets of eyes are better than one set, ya know? Thanks for your help in advance.

Solution
No, I have a separate, unopened copy of windows 10. Do I need to install the new ssd while running off windows 7, install windows 10 to the 2nd ssd, and then remove the old HD and install all my new hardware?
No.
You build up the new system, boot from your Win 10 install thing (DVD or USB) and install with that.
Your Win 7 in the old system has nothing to do with this.

Have only the one desired drive connected in this new system when you install the Win 10.

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
First question:
Are you expecting to use your existing Win 7 license to Upgrade to Win 10?
If so, then the old hardware will have no valid OS license.

How you proceed depends on what you want to do.
No, I have a separate, unopened copy of windows 10. Do I need to install the new ssd while running off windows 7, install windows 10 to the 2nd ssd, and then remove the old HD and install all my new hardware?

USAFRet

Titan
No.
You build up the new system, boot from your Win 10 install thing (DVD or USB) and install with that.

Have only the one desired drive connected in this new system when you install the Win 10.

Solution

KnightsCross

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2015
No.

Thank you for your advice. Just to clarify and make sure I have it right, you mean build the new pc with ALL the new components at the same time, then boot from Windows 10 usb?

Also, you may be about to get an upgrade to 10 on your Windows 7 box. I know that technically this isn't supported, but just today I put a new drive into an older system that had Windows 7 previously installed. Booted up Windows 10 1909 installer, and entered the Windows 7 key from the top of the case. The installer accepted it and activated it as well. So you might be able to do the same on your older system.