Building a new rig, what to choose?

So, let me start off describing what i'm currently using:

4770k clocked at 4.3ghz
MSI GTX 980 (with a small factory overclock)
MSI Z87 G45 (yes I'm an MSI fanboi)
Corsair DDR3 Platinum 2400mhz C10 (running on xms)

Now this rig has and is still running everything @ 1080p without any problems, but I'm feeling its on the edge and no doubt its getting old.

So i've been considering firstly to upgrade the CPU, undoubly i'd have to move to a new mobo and DDR4 as well...this is a gaming rig and I know theres a battle going on with the Intel vs ryzens, Intel being faster for gaming and ryzen for editing, multitask, etc. The reason I want to upgrade the cpu first is cuz i'm playing some CPU intensivel voxel based games, like space engineers, it reports 60% gpu usage and 98% cpu usage constant.

anyways, what I really want here is some recommendations, I'm a bit unaware if amd or intel is coming up with new gen stuff, I could wait to be honest, one thing for sure is that i'm waiting for the next nvidia 1180 or 2080, see how better they perform, and see if its worth it to get a 1080ti then for a cheaper price.

sorry for the long post but lets get to the point, im considering a 8700k, I need top performance but the 8086k seems to be exactly what they did when the 4790k was out, pointless. I'd like a recommendation of the best CPU, mobo and ram performance wise, I don't care for extra PCI-E slots, integrated wifis, fancy stuff or anything, I'm using sata SSD, single GPU, 2 ram sticks only, 1SDD 1HDD so no need for things that i wont ever use if you know what i mean ;) i'm up for paying an extra buck for extra bang, but ofc using some good sense. What would you guys recommend? or... should I wait?

did I mention that i'm an msi fanboy? I'd love msi mobo suggestions.

You get more cores and threads + better thermals atm if you go for AMD over Intel.

You get more performance pr. core / thread when it comes to Intel but also pay a "premium"

You just have to figure out what gives you the most bang for the bucks as you call it when it comes to how you use the computer. If the games are CPU heavy like space engineers like you say. How are the core usage? does it benefit to have more cores or more speed pr. core?

Motherboard ( I would guess you would like an MSI board :D ) just go for one that supports what you want and and need.

PdxPetmonster

Reputable
Mar 14, 2017
Which CPU you should get is directly based on what you plan to do with it. Gaming mixed with other multitasking? Ryzen is your best bet there. Pure gaming? Intel is the best choice, although Ryzen isn't that far behind in performance. Another argument for Ryzen is the fact that your getting a good amount of time out of the platform, as AMD plans to use AM4 for a couple/few more years. Intel will most likely make you upgrade the motherboard for anything new in the next year or so.

I always had this doubt inside me, I should study a bit about the mobo chipsets, as far as i know, if i know anything, chipsets also means something performance wise, no? by the time i've got my Z87 i only looked for whatever my cpu would fit the socket, never bothered to do to a through research on mobos... now, back to the point, I think it benefits more on clock wise, I could go amd, but my focus is really gaming, the little video editing i do is for promotional videos on my workshop creations, 2-3 mins tops of content, rarely.