[SOLVED] Building a new rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vassili_153

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2014
Hi all. I hope my question is in the right place. I am thinking of building pc around a Ryzen thread ripper pro 3995wx on a Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE backplane (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE-WIFI/), for film/video editing/colouring (Premiere and Davinci Resolve). Someone I know advised me not to go for any of AMD's processor as, according to what he told me, Intel Xeon processors are a much better choice since the have multimedia instructions hardwired into them. As what he told me sounds far fetched, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice. My apologies if my questions in this post seem naive and/or silly but coming from macOS/macpros such choices are very hard for me. However, the way Apple is heading with their hardware forces me to look at alternatives.

Thanks for your time.
V

Solution
Then i would feel that something more like a ryzen 9 5950x might be something you may be interested in, 16 cores and 32 threads, still a monster cpu, it's the highest end consumer chip currently available, should easily handle 4k,6k footage, and it's not tens of thousands to get started, think you could get a monster of a pc around it for the same price as just the threadripper chip. As said above get a reputable system builder to build this for you, it will save you an unbelievable amount of hassle

Having more ram than you need is way better than you may first realise, it will make it a much nicer experience as you will find that alot of programs like to use more ram to make using them smoother and quicker, multitasking and...

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Got to be honest with you, the moment you go that high end, the amount of people you can ask for help shrinks down to a tiny pool, i hope someone on here with more experience can give you a hand but so far as i know, intel doesn't really have an equivelant in terms of processing power.

Do you need 1tb of ram on 64 cores 128 threads? if so and you are using it professionally then you already know the answer, there is nothing really i can think of to compare the level of performance that this setup will give you, if this is something that lets you do your job faster and better than someone else then it's worth it, however if this is more than you will ever need you.

What specs are you aiming for?
What kinds of workload are you expecting?
How does this compare to your current setup?

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Hi all. I hope my question is in the right place. I am thinking of building pc around a Ryzen thread ripper pro 3995wx on a Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE backplane (https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/Pro-WS-WRX80E-SAGE-SE-WIFI/), for film/video editing/colouring (Premiere and Davinci Resolve). Someone I know advised me not to go for any of AMD's processor as, according to what he told me, Intel Xeon processors are a much better choice since the have multimedia instructions hardwired into them. As what he told me sounds far fetched, I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and advice. My apologies if my questions in this post seem naive and/or silly but coming from macOS/macpros such choices are very hard for me. However, the way Apple is heading with their hardware forces me to look at alternatives.

Thanks for your time.
V
Their a lot of information missing, amount of storage, memory, video card (cards) you plan to use, file size, resolution, etc.... buying something like that you must be making your living using the PC. (if your not making your living from the PC you can spend a lot less money and have still have a very good setup)

At one time in my life I was actually using 2 PC's for work. 1 for the actual work (work and gaming PC) and another using hot swap bays to do the rendering so I could keep working instead of waiting hours for it to render)

Now we get into a different part of doing this most people that are going to spend 15K or so on a PC don't build it because all it takes is for something to go wrong and your out a ton of money.

I've built one PC in the 8K area and it was very stressful easy to do and set up but if a mistake was made very expensive mistake. Everything went good and customer was very happy.

Since you had to come here and ask I would point you in this direction unless you can give a lot more information. Your common person never thinks about things like a scratch drive along with other things.

My best advice would be contact this company and talk to them don't leave out information or exaggerate.

Pay the extra cost and have it done right receiving a working ready to go PC.

EDIT if you live in a different country I'm sure their similar companies that have a good rep and make quality PC's

Last edited:

Vassili_153

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2014
Got to be honest with you, the moment you go that high end, the amount of people you can ask for help shrinks down to a tiny pool, i hope someone on here with more experience can give you a hand but so far as i know, intel doesn't really have an equivelant in terms of processing power.

Do you need 1tb of ram on 64 cores 128 threads? if so and you are using it professionally then you already know the answer, there is nothing really i can think of to compare the level of performance that this setup will give you, if this is something that lets you do your job faster and better than someone else then it's worth it, however if this is more than you will ever need you.

What specs are you aiming for?
What kinds of workload are you expecting?
How does this compare to your current setup?

Thanks for your reply! Mainly I will use it for editing (source is raw, 4k/6K), colouring and rendering and transcoding. I would not go beyond 128 GB for ram and even that is, I feel, above my needs.

Currently I am using a 2010 mac pro (2 X 6-core Xeon Westmere) loaded with macos 11.2.3, which seems the end of the road for those boxes. This macpro is a 2010 model, still capable but way behind all the latest upgraded technologies. That along with apple's decision to put a stop to people installing their latest OS (not even via opencore) and with their 2-year-transition into their own processor architecture had me looking for alternatives. As to that the price for a an apple "pro" box and the choice becomes eben easier.

Vassili_153

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2014
Their a lot of information missing, amount of storage, memory, video card (cards) you plan to use, buying something like that you must be making your living using the PC. (if your not making your living from the PC you can spend a lot less money and have still have a very good setup)

At one time in my life I was actually using 2 PC's for work. 1 for the actual work (work and gaming PC) and another using hot swap bays to do the rendering so I could keep working instead of waiting hours for it to render)

Now we get into a different part of doing this most people that are going to spend 15K or so on a PC don't build it because all it takes is for something to go wrong and you out a ton of money.

I've built one PC in the 8K area and it was very stressful easy to do and set up but if a mistake was made very expensive mistake. Everything went good and customer was very happy.

Since you had to come here and ask I would point you in this direction unless you can give a lot more information. Your common person never thinks about things like a scratch drive along with other things.

My best advice would be contact this company and talk to them don't leave out information or exaggerate.

Pay the extra cost and have it done right receiving a working ready to go PC.

Thanks! As far as GPUs are concerned I would either go for a radeon pro 6800 or a Quadro in the same price range. Storage would be nvmes and spinners and having scratch disks I know they are a must. Memory wise I feel that more than 128 GBs would be over the top. Thanks also for the link, www.pugetsystems.com, I'll have a look at it! This will be used for work, film/video editing and some basic colouring (along with rendering), so I need somethng that is powerful and relatively future proof.

Last edited:

Mickieg1994

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Then i would feel that something more like a ryzen 9 5950x might be something you may be interested in, 16 cores and 32 threads, still a monster cpu, it's the highest end consumer chip currently available, should easily handle 4k,6k footage, and it's not tens of thousands to get started, think you could get a monster of a pc around it for the same price as just the threadripper chip. As said above get a reputable system builder to build this for you, it will save you an unbelievable amount of hassle

Having more ram than you need is way better than you may first realise, it will make it a much nicer experience as you will find that alot of programs like to use more ram to make using them smoother and quicker, multitasking and everything else is smoother too and it's pretty cheap to expand by comparison to anything else.

Also for your uses a monitor is especially important but i'm sure you know this already, having the ability to have half the screen still be native 4k resolution is something i have heard of as a dream for people editing 4k footage, given the specs you were looking at it sounds like the kind of thing you may be interested in too, as that will also make a huge differenct tothe end user experience, probably still come in under the budget of the first system too

Solution

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Thanks! As far as GPUs are concerned I would either go for a radeon pro 6800 or a Quadro in the same price range. Storage would be nvmes and spinners and having scratch disks I know they are a must. Memory wise I feel that more than 128 GBs would be over the top. Thanks also for the link, www.pugetsystems.com, I'll have a look at it! This will be used for work, film/video editing and some basic colouring (along with rendering), so I need somethng that is powerful and relatively future proof.
Your looking at a 5 to 6K processor, 128GB of memory is in the 800 or more area, 1K motherboard, 2 to 3K for the video card, that's putting you in the 10K area already not counting the drives, case, and a expensive CPU cooler.

EDIT Future proof their no such thing. Anything you buy today can be replaced in a few years with something a lot better tech changes very quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.