Building a new system - confused about the new Intel CL processors

Januszoff

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015
So, since my laptop is dying on me, I need a new PC. I decided for desktop this time, since for some years I no longer have the need to lug around a beefy DTR.

I have all components selected apart from CPU and Mobo. I would like to build an mITX build, and will be shopping in Eastern Europe if prices are to be considered.

Now here's my question:

I don't really need top of the line new CPUs - like 8700k; an i5-8400 or even i3-8300 would be sufficient for me. Trouble is, from what I heard Intel is releasing only the most expensive Z370 chipset along with new new processors, with cheaper alternatives to follow in 3-6 months. Since I can't really wait that much (I need my PC for work), I am basically considering two options:

1. Buy a cheap H110 mobo along with some Celeron unit - this will last me for until Intel releases it's H or B series chipsets - total cost in my country is around $95, and I can always sell that with not much lose after those couple months
2. Shell out for Z370 board along with i3-8100 - this has the option to upgrade to whatever I like from CL line of CPUs, but is also significantly more expensive - plus, I don't plan on overcloking, so I feel with this chipset I would be overpaying for stuff I won't even use. Total price for that would be I assume in the $300 range.

Which one is better? Will I feel the drag of the Celeron/Pentium if my use cases is some light gaming, Visual Studio 2017 and MSSQL Server?

Solution
gotcha, misread you

buying a Pentium + a H110 for like...half a year is spending 120$ you won't see ever again.
depending on the price tag a Z370 chipset isn't the most horrible thing ever. However mITX boards usually take a while to be released, ATX & mATX boards are usually first
do they release th 8400 right away? thought they're only releasing K-chips initially. but my info could be dated.

Januszoff

Reputable
Aug 8, 2015

Did you read my question? 1st option is to buy h110 and some cheap cpu like g3930 or g4600 and wait till Intel releases h and b3xx chipsets, sell h110 and cheap cpu, buy new chiipset and probably something like i5-8400. I thought they are releasing the 8700k, 8600k, 8400 and the two i3-s.

No, Ryzen is not an option - I already tried owning amd cpu/gpu and it was a horrible experience for me. Not falling into that again, even if from what I hear Ryzen is close to KL cpus.

gotcha, misread you

buying a Pentium + a H110 for like...half a year is spending 120$ you won't see ever again.
depending on the price tag a Z370 chipset isn't the most horrible thing ever. However mITX boards usually take a while to be released, ATX & mATX boards are usually first
do they release th 8400 right away? thought they're only releasing K-chips initially. but my info could be dated.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS