Question Building a new system, please tell me some things about Win10

pookshuman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2014
OK, So I have been putting off upgrading from Win 7 for as long as possible. Everything I hear about 10 sounds awful. The privacy concerns especially.

But now I heard that if you register Win10 with a motherboard or other hardware, you will be "locked" to that hardware with that version of the OS! So if you ever need to make repairs or a replacement, you will have to buy a new OS .... please tell me this is just something my webmaster told me to scare me!

This sounds like nonsense, why would one of the richest companies in the world make such a blatant cash grab and how can I get around it? also, the privacy BS.

In short, please tell me how I can make 10 as close to 7 as humanly possible, in feel and function.

I thank you for your patience and your explanations :)

P.S. I have been a lifelong windows/DOS user ... how bad of a transition would Linux be for me? what wouldn't work and how much of a pain in the ass would it be? thanks

You're building a new system, then install clean Windows 10.

But now I heard that if you register Win10 with a motherboard or other hardware, you will be "locked" to that hardware with that version of the OS! So if you ever need to make repairs or a replacement, you will have to buy a new OS .... please tell me this is just something my webmaster told me to scare me!

You can move windows 10 license to a different pc with windows activation troubleshooter (with OEM version of windows there may be problems with this).

In short, please tell me how I can make 10 as close to 7 as humanly possible, in feel and function.

Install windows 10 and change settings to your liking. You can make windows 10 to look quite close to windows 7. There are a ton of settings - way more than in windows 7. Might take you some time, to tune everything.

will help. Still, expect going back to "DEFAULT" each 6-7 months.
if you consider Ubuntu should not be any more painfull than 10.
all you need to do is google from time to time for exact commands. Unless you do anything very specyfic with videos/games or for work, ubuntu will do it all even better than windows does.
grab a 4 GB pendirve, install live ubuntu version and give it a go. You can always install 10 later on :) Ubuntu is years from being ugly and hard to use.

mtracy1991

Reputable
I enjoy Windows 10, and this comes from an avid Win 7 user for the past 10 years. It really gives you a new feel of Windows 7 in 10. Everything is customize-able and Windows Defender is great! However, the one nuisance would be updates; which I haven't edited yet, but I believe you can change the times for the updates to take place.