Building a new Workstation, pointers needed !!

Richard Sequeira

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014
Hi there friends,
I'm Richard, a growing aftereffects motion graphic artist from chennai,India.
Im on a path to build my medium-high worksation for my personal use at home to learn and experiment. The problem is, even after researches on the internet, im still not confident weather im going in the right direction. my budget is about 2000$ (a lakh in INR). here is the specs i have in mind.
-PSU : 750 W
-motherboard: msi z87 Mpower
-proccessor: i7 4790K 4 Ghz
-coller: crossair H100i
-Ram: 16gb 1600
-graphics: gtx 770
-hard disk: 1 tb

the build is mainly foccused on AE, but ill also be learning maya dynamics, realflow appart form the usual PS,AI etc.
I'll also will overclock the processor to maybe a 4.8 - 5 ghz.
So here are the questions i like to ask to the experts out there...

Q1: Is the build a good build for AE work station? If not Please Sugguest.
Q2: Am I going overboard on any component and spending way to much for an insignificant Performance upgrade?
Q3: Is there a real need to buy a SSD for a performace up?
Q4: Can the proccrssor be constantly overclocked to run at 5 ghz?
Q5: Will this rig be an improvement over my office rig?
Q6: Should i wait a bit more for intels 5th generation of processor and buy a z97 chipset MB?
office rig specs:
-motherboard: Hp Z400 worksation
-proccessor: Xeon W3680 3.3Ghz
-coller: crossair H100i
-Ram: 16gb 1600
-graphics: Nvidia Quadro NVS 295
-hard disk: 1 tb

PS: the place i live in do not have accsess to all copenents, new tecnology comes in pretty late here.

This is my first forum post so apologises if i missed out on something or didnt follow any format.

I would guess that this will not run as well as your office rig. The office machine has a workstation graphics card. There are real reasons why these much more expensive cards are used for, well, workstation work. Consider getting a card that has already been tested to work with the software in question - the software sites usually have lists.

Richard Sequeira

Reputable
Jun 24, 2014

Yes, i have checked on the AE site list of cards, its listed . and also read that the gtx 770 give better render times than quadro k2000.

TRENDING THREADS