[SOLVED] Building a PC after 5+ years

dlevans82

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
I built my last PC about 5 years ago and im totally overwhelmed with all the new hardware there is.

Does this build look ok for gaming, i think it is all compatible?

Case: NZXT H700i, White/Black, Mid Tower Computer Chassis, Tempered Glass Window, Smart Control, E-ATX/ATX/mATX 4x Fans
CPU: Intel Core i9 9900K, S 1151, Coffee Lake Refresh, 8 Core, 16 Thread, 3.6GHz, 5.0GHz Turbo, 16MB, 1200MHz GPU, 95W
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans
RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Corsair DDR4 Vengeance LPX Black, PC4-25600 (3200), Non-ECC Unbuffered, CAS 16-18-18-36, XMP 2.0, 1.35V
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 AORUS MASTER, Intel Z390, S 1151, DDR4, SATA3, Triple M.2, 2-Way SLi/3-WayCrossFire, WiFi, USB3.1 A+C, ATX
Graphics: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 XC GAMING 8GB GDDR6 VR Ready Graphics Card, 2304 Core, 1710MHz Boost
HDD1: 512GB Samsung 970 PRO, M.2 (2280) PCIe 3.0 (x4) NVMe SSD, Phoenix, MLC V-NAND, 3500MB/s Read, 2300MB/s Write, 370k/500k
HDD2: 2TB Seagate ST2000DM008 BarraCuda, 3.5" HDD, SATA III - 6Gb/s, 7200rpm, 256MB Cache, NCQ, OEM
PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM750x, Full Modular, 80PLUS Gold, SLI/CrossFire, Single Rail, 62.5A, 135mm Fan, ATX PSU

I would of loved a 2080 TI but the prices are out of this world :eek:

Solution
WD and Seagate are the two biggest manufacturers but that doesn't instantly mean that their drives are also the most reliable ones. Also, WD and Seagate drives are considerably cheaper compared to the Toshiba or HGST (Hitachi) drives. For best reliability, look towards Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 or 7K6000 drive. While Hitachi Deskstar drives are cheaper than Ultrastar drives, Deskstar drives are for consumers with lower performance; Ultrastar drives are for servers and they are designed to run 24/7 while having as low failure rate as possible.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
All is compatible and build looks good. Though, you could get away with 2x 8GB (16GB) of RAM if you use your PC for gaming only. 32GB and up RAM amount is needed when you use your PC for production work as well (e.g video rendering).

Only thing that i'd replace would be Seagate 2TB HDD. Out of 4 major HDD manufactures, Seagate drives have the worst reliability. Western Digital has better reliability, then comes Toshiba and lastly, HGST (Hitachi) drives have the best reliability. Minimum i'd go for would be WD drive.

dlevans82

Commendable
Feb 8, 2017
All is compatible and build looks good. Though, you could get away with 2x 8GB (16GB) of RAM if you use your PC for gaming only. 32GB and up RAM amount is needed when you use your PC for production work as well (e.g video rendering).

Only thing that i'd replace would be Seagate 2TB HDD. Out of 4 major HDD manufactures, Seagate drives have the worst reliability. Western Digital has better reliability, then comes Toshiba and lastly, HGST (Hitachi) drives have the best reliability. Minimum i'd go for would be WD drive.
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I could get 2x8 sticks then add the extra for a better drive, i didn't even consider toshiba or hatachi... always thought WD and Seagate was best. Shows how much i know :D

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
WD and Seagate are the two biggest manufacturers but that doesn't instantly mean that their drives are also the most reliable ones. Also, WD and Seagate drives are considerably cheaper compared to the Toshiba or HGST (Hitachi) drives. For best reliability, look towards Hitachi Ultrastar 7K4000 or 7K6000 drive. While Hitachi Deskstar drives are cheaper than Ultrastar drives, Deskstar drives are for consumers with lower performance; Ultrastar drives are for servers and they are designed to run 24/7 while having as low failure rate as possible.

Solution