Building a PC around i7 4790k & GTX970

veljko golocorbin

Reputable
Aug 16, 2014
Hello everyone as the title says I'm looking to build my first build around i7 4790k and GTX970 4gb DDR5 and I have a few doubts.

Motherboard: I'm not sure which one to get Z97 MAXIMUS VII HERO or Z97 MAXIMUS VII RANGER, which one is better? Also I'm not set on these two so if you have another suggestion do tell.

Cooler: currently I'm thinking of buying Noctua NH-D15, do I need a cheaper or some other cooler?

RAM: 4x DIMM DDR3 8GB 2400MHz Kingston HyperX Savage CL11 (32gb). Is there something I would need to change in order to use 2400MHz? Other suggestions are also welcome

Case and power supply: no idea

Also I heard the ASUS GTX970 is the weakest of the bunch, which one would you recommend, MSI or Gigabyte?

The PC will be used for VFX,3D animation (modeling, animating, rendering etc) and gaming if time allows it :)

You should probably be throwing money at the GPU; it has the biggest impact in most of your workloads.

Don't spend more than $100-150 on a motherboard - RoG just isn't worth it; the motherboard only has minimal impact on performance, and even then only when OCing.

RAM bandwidth isn't massively important; just get 1600 or 1866 - you'll need to mess around with OCing it to get above 1600. Alternatively, think about LGA1151 and Skylake, which will let you use 16GB DDR4 DIMMs in future (or now, but they're expensive). Or think about moving to LGA2011v3, which gets you more cores and more RAM slots, but also more price.

For a power supply, EVGA seems to be cleaning up the market right now. You probably want a 550W for one GPU, or a 750W if you plan to add a second. Look at the GS, GQ or G2 lines.

Can't speak on cases; they're really personal.