[SOLVED] building a pc but sticking with old GPU - need some advice

Holyengines

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021
Hey everyone, so I am planning to get a new pc for gaming, however with the insane prices of the GPUs right now I just decided to upgrade everything but stick to my rx460 2GB. my plan is to overclock the GPU hopefully making it able to run demanding games on low 720P with like 30fps. So anyway here is the build I decided to get and I just want some advice on these parts. Are they good for my situation? can this build achieve my goal? am I going to need any special cooling components for the overclocking?

cpu: Ryzen 5 3500x
mobo: b450 tomahawk max (still comparing this to the MSI pro b450m pro vdh max. Any thoughts??)
ram: 16gb
case: bitfenix nova mesh tg
psu: bitfenix 600w

Solution
A word of note based on some personal experience with the motherboard and RAM choice...

A buddy of mine built his system on the Tomahawk and a R5 2600. He upgraded to a 5600X and also opted to go with some Corsair RGB and IIRC it was rated to run 3600. When he populated all 4 RAM slots the system simply would not boot running the RAM profiles ("XMP"), only while on stock setting running 2400. He had to get the JDEC table out of CPU-Z and manually time his ~3000, or it would not post. Expect the RAM to run slower if you are going 4x, or plan to later.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
The B450 Tomahawk (Max) is among the best mid level motherboards around. It has been very well received and reviewed. I would suggest that you take a look at the motherboard QVL and select memory that is on that list. I second the above to get as fast RAM as you can.

I am not familiar with Bitfenix, so have nothing to offer in that regard.

Also, without knowing your local market I can only speculate as to why on the 3500X, rather than the 3600/X.

Don't know your use case, but overall I feel like you are on the right track.

Reactions: Holyengines

Holyengines

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021
Depends on what you are upgrading from if any of this makes sense. And what you are paying.

You should also be more specific on the memory. Ryzen likes faster memory, so 3200Mhz is the minimum I would go for.
I am upgrading from Pentium g3250 and an h81m-s2ph mobo. the board doesn't allow for much room when it comes to upgrading the cpu which is why i decided to just get a new system. My budget is basically around 500 USD and yeha the ram is 3200, it's a corsair vengeance 2x8

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Bitfenix is a decent case company, also make some okayish fans. They tend toward more high end cases, but the Nova line is on the cheaper side. No idea on their power supplies.

I have an old BitFenix Ghost. I used to recommend the older Nova case for budget builds, though I pretty much stick to the Fractal Design Focus G these days.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I am upgrading from Pentium g3250 and an h81m-s2ph mobo. the board doesn't allow for much room when it comes to upgrading the cpu which is why i decided to just get a new system. My budget is basically around 500 USD and yeha the ram is 3200, it's a corsair vengeance 2x8

Where that motherboard shows support for 4th gen i7, the power delivery on the mobo doesn't instill confidence that it would work well. I tend to agree with your assessment on going new(er) for the money.

Holyengines

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021
The B450 Tomahawk (Max) is among the best mid level motherboards around. It has been very well received and reviewed. I would suggest that you take a look at the motherboard QVL and select memory that is on that list. I second the above to get as fast RAM as you can.

I am not familiar with Bitfenix, so have nothing to offer in that regard.

Also, without knowing your local market I can only speculate as to why on the 3500X, rather than the 3600/X.

Don't know your use case, but overall I feel like you are on the right track.

the 3500x is about 50$ less than the 3600. I just thought the diff in performance is not worth the money. also, I am willing to overclock the 3500x if I even needed to

Holyengines

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021
Bitfenix is a decent case company, also make some okayish fans. They tend toward more high end cases, but the Nova line is on the cheaper side. No idea on their power supplies.

I have an old BitFenix Ghost. I used to recommend the older Nova case for budget builds, though I pretty much stick to the Fractal Design Focus G these days.
yeah i heard great stuff about fractal cases but they are nowhere to be seen in my country

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
A word of note based on some personal experience with the motherboard and RAM choice...

A buddy of mine built his system on the Tomahawk and a R5 2600. He upgraded to a 5600X and also opted to go with some Corsair RGB and IIRC it was rated to run 3600. When he populated all 4 RAM slots the system simply would not boot running the RAM profiles ("XMP"), only while on stock setting running 2400. He had to get the JDEC table out of CPU-Z and manually time his ~3000, or it would not post. Expect the RAM to run slower if you are going 4x, or plan to later.

Solution

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
the 3500x is about 50$ less than the 3600. I just thought the diff in performance is not worth the money. also, I am willing to overclock the 3500x if I even needed to

There is no appreciable difference in them, specifically for the price point. The 3500X requires a bit of looking around in the US, and generally having to deal with eBay or Ali.

Holyengines

Prominent
Jun 15, 2021

I am going for 2x8 for now. I don't think i will need more, at least not before the whole system becomes obselete