[SOLVED] Building a PC easy to upgrade later

Mar 6, 2020
Hi,

I know there are a lot of questions like this one on this forum but I admit that I prefer to ask people rather than blindly follow any guide I find on internet on such matter. I did it when I built my own computer and I am very happy with the result.

My little brother allways wanted his own PC and I want to help him buy one for Christmas. Our budget would be around 800 euros but we could go a little bit higher if it made a big difference on the performance.
It main use of the PC would be gaming of course but we would also like to build it so that it can easily be upgraded over the years without having to change to many parts (once again we're ready to put some more money on the table for that). I don't know if that last request completely make sense.

Thank you if anyone has the time to help us choose the best quality/price components and feel free to ask for more details if needed.

Cheers

Solution
You didn't say where you're from. But euro, so I put up a list using German part picker

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bHRLF8

This is €647 NOT INCLUDING GRAPHICS CARD. I'd suggest you spend close to €1000 instead of 800 for future proofing because I put in a PSU and case keeping in mind you won't upgrade those soon. The CPU and mobo combo upgrade a few years down the line will be inevitable because AM5 will come with ryzen 6000, meaning new mobo anyway even with ryzen. I included i5-10400 instead of 10400F because I didn't include GPU. If you buy gpu now I'd say get 10400F instead. It only lacks igpu, same performance as 10400 otherwise. I'd suggest wait for RTX 3050 if possible, and use the 10400 igpu till then. 3050 should...
You didn't say where you're from. But euro, so I put up a list using German part picker

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/bHRLF8

This is €647 NOT INCLUDING GRAPHICS CARD. I'd suggest you spend close to €1000 instead of 800 for future proofing because I put in a PSU and case keeping in mind you won't upgrade those soon. The CPU and mobo combo upgrade a few years down the line will be inevitable because AM5 will come with ryzen 6000, meaning new mobo anyway even with ryzen. I included i5-10400 instead of 10400F because I didn't include GPU. If you buy gpu now I'd say get 10400F instead. It only lacks igpu, same performance as 10400 otherwise. I'd suggest wait for RTX 3050 if possible, and use the 10400 igpu till then. 3050 should be a great deal for future proofing. Will definitely retail close to €300.

Solution