Feb 19, 2019
Hi all,

I'm doing work in VR and building a PC.
I am looking to make a strong and future proof PC. I don't care for looks as the PC will be hidden. Here are some of the parts I've picked:

PC Picker List: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/

CPU : AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: Asus - Prime X470-Pro ATX AM4 Motherboard
(A friend of mine got a much cheaper Gigabyte one, any opinions? -> Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard)
RAM/ Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Crucial - MX500 1 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive
**(I also have a SSD of 200gb -> from another PC with Adobe CC programs and Windows booting)
Current SSD: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820363080
****I also have a HDD of 2 TB (3.5) ( (I create a lot in VR and have a LOT of videos and images... VR files are very large..
)Current HDD: https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148834

GPU: Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P350X (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
PSU: Corsair - RMx (2018) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
I have a monitor, webcam and mic.

Approximate Purchase Date: hoping to buy it this month.
Budget Range: Max $2500 After Taxes
System Usage from Most to Least Important: VR Creation programs, Modelling and Drawing in VR , 3D modelling in Blender + rendering for 3D animation and VR experiences, Unity, Unreal Engine) VR gaming, After Effects + Premiere video editing, Streaming Photoshop,

** My main concerns and looking for input: ***
  1. Finding a good case, I don't need anything flashy or lights as my PC will be hidden. I care about performance and future proof. A case that has good air flow.
  2. Medium tower (full tower is too large I think?)
  3. Recommendations of other companies with good RAM + GPU's (they are always varied so I'm not sure)
  4. Do I need a CPU cooler? Or is the Ryzen 7 built with a good fan?
  5. Will my previous SSD and HDD work with my new PC? (They say SATA, still kind of confused why its SATA ? If you have a good video explaining this let me know)
  6. If there are any ways you think I could save a little bit not not too much so that the hardware is compromised.
This is a serious build. Primarily for work.
I've never built a PC before so I want to learn to understand the insides of my new PC. (if anyone has good tutorials please post in comments!)
Please and thank you!

Last edited:
Solution
Hope this helps a little
1.I have the fractal design meshify c, mid tower with excellent airflow, easy to build in. Around $80-90.
2.answered in 1
3.Ram brand doesn't really matter corsair, g.skill, kingston they really are all fine just look at the speed and the prices. For gpus any brand is good just try to find the best price.
4.Ryzen stock cooler is fine just don't plan on getting at big overclock.
5.When putting a boot drive with a new mobo you should do a fresh install of windows to avoid any problems. Hard drives and ssds use sata cables to transfer information from the drive to the motherboard.

Jordan42

Commendable
Jun 19, 2017
Hope this helps a little
1.I have the fractal design meshify c, mid tower with excellent airflow, easy to build in. Around $80-90.
2.answered in 1
3.Ram brand doesn't really matter corsair, g.skill, kingston they really are all fine just look at the speed and the prices. For gpus any brand is good just try to find the best price.
5.When putting a boot drive with a new mobo you should do a fresh install of windows to avoid any problems. Hard drives and ssds use sata cables to transfer information from the drive to the motherboard.

Solution

nextstepinfo

Reputable
Mar 7, 2019
Hope this helps a little
2.answered in 1
hello , if u can afford , u should go for M2 socket supported SSD. Place your SSD to M2 socket not with SATA.