Building a PC for AutoCAD Rendering and 3d Modeling

rijn12

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013
Hi. I'm going to create this PC for my projects through rendering. Is this specs ok?

Intel Core i5-4690K Haswell Processor Socket 1150 3.5ghz 6m

Gigabyte GA-H81M-DS2 Motherboard Socket 1150 Pcie Ddr3

Palit GeForce GTX750 TI StormX OC 2gb 128bit DDR5

Kingston HyperX Fury Memory 1x8gb Ddr3-1866 Cl10 Red

and a 700 Watts cougar PSU

Can this handle my rendering applications?

Solution
Yes it would be better to have a 2x4GB configuration. I would definitely upgrade from your current CPU to an i7 4790K. Also I would get a better GPU that is also an AMD card; AMD cards typically have more compute power than Nvidia cards as Nvidia compromises on compute potential in their desktop lineup for more gaming performance and optimization in their drivers.

I would recommend an R9 280X for your GPU.

Also your PSU is a bit overkill at 700W. A better choice would be in the 500-650W range. I think a Corsair TX650M would be good for you.

So in short here are the parts I would change:

CPU: i5 4690K change to a(n) i7 4790K

GPU: GTX 750 Ti change to a(n) AMD R9 280X

PSU: 'Cougar 700W PSU' change to a(n) Corsair TX650M

These...

dovah-chan

Honorable
Also please look at the PSU tier list. It's all pretty much based on how intensive the tasks you are going to be doing. If you're using stuff like SolidWorks then I would move up to the X79 platform.

Oh and I noticed you only have a single 8GB stick. It's recommended that you always purchase sticks in pairs so you activate the dual channel mode on your motherboard so you have more memory bandwidth.

rijn12

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2013

I think it'll be so intensive cause rendering a 3D model is like consuming almost 70% of your memory and it do goes lag on my old PC so I'll be needing to create another one.

on the memory stick, should I buy 2 4gb memory and place it both on the slot so i can have more memory bandwidth?

dovah-chan

Honorable
Yes it would be better to have a 2x4GB configuration. I would definitely upgrade from your current CPU to an i7 4790K. Also I would get a better GPU that is also an AMD card; AMD cards typically have more compute power than Nvidia cards as Nvidia compromises on compute potential in their desktop lineup for more gaming performance and optimization in their drivers.

I would recommend an R9 280X for your GPU.

Also your PSU is a bit overkill at 700W. A better choice would be in the 500-650W range. I think a Corsair TX650M would be good for you.

So in short here are the parts I would change:

CPU: i5 4690K change to a(n) i7 4790K

GPU: GTX 750 Ti change to a(n) AMD R9 280X

PSU: 'Cougar 700W PSU' change to a(n) Corsair TX650M

These changes will be considerably more costly than what you had listed before but they are much better suited for your tasks. Hyperthreading and the extra compute muscle will make a big difference.

Solution