Building a PC for my cousins

We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
this application.
I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
can give me. Thanks!

"Harry Edwards" <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message
> We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
> Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
> So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
> What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
> this application.
> I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
> Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
> of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
> built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
> can give me. Thanks!

You could build a fairly hot Intel machine for under $600 (plus OS),
especially if you don't need the higher priced CPUs. 2.6 or so will save
bucks and runs quite well. Memory prices fluctuate, so check current prices.
I priced these parts for another poster some time ago. Easy build, leaves 7
open expansion slots. Add cost of floppy and CD of your choice. All cables
come with the board, setup CD is fast and easy/ fan & HS comes with the BOX
chips. Case fan is quiet. I built with a 2.6 in December..... well pleased
with the results.

Pepperoni
******************
Intel BOXD865GBFL i865G SK478 800FSB Dual Ch DDR400, AGP 8X, SATA
150,w/Video/Audio/Lan ATX MB - Retail Price: $ 105.89
Board comes with cables and setup CD, auto-sensing/ no jumpers to set.
***********
Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ 800FSB Socket 478 512K ( BX80532PG3000D ) CPU Retail
with Heatsink and Fan**Free Shipping** Price: $ 229.89
or
Intel Pentium 4 2.8CGHZ 800FSB Socket 478 512K ( BX80532PG2800D ) CPU Retail
with Heatsink and Fan**Free Shipping** price $185.89
************

Kingston 512MB Kit ( 2x256MB ) PC3200 DDR 400MHz( KVR400X64C3AK2/512) CL3 -
Retail * Free Shipping *Our price $118.89
Runs well with 512, but I recommend a second kit to take advantage of Dual
channel memory. I run single channel currently. (Win 98)

Future Case 228 Blue 2.0 USB AMD / P4 Ready with 400w Power Supply, Case
Fan Price: $ 38.00 Nice case, has front USB2, side fan. Everything on
Mboard leaves 7 expansion slots. easy build.

105.89
229.89 or 185.89
118.89
38.00
-------------
$492.67
Add floppy, CD, OS and vid card (onboard video is OK for what you want )
Check current memory prices. I would add another 512 kit to take full
advantage of dual channel memory, but single channel will work fine for what
you want to do. (currently running single channel W98) Onboard LAN, add
modem card if on dialup.

http://www.essencompu.com/

"Harry Edwards" <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message
> We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
> Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
> So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
> What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
> this application.
> I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
> Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
> of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
> built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
> can give me. Thanks!

How about this;

Soyo - P4I845PE - Socket 478 ATX Barebone Kit with Intel Celeron 2.7GHz, CPU
Fan, 256MB RAM, 90GB Hard Drive, CD-RW Drive, FireWire Card, AGP Card, Tower
Case, 400Watt Power Supply, Keyboard and Mouse

Click for larger image Price: $479.97
Less Rebate: - $120.00

Final Price: $359.97*

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=764764&Sku=S450-4214%20BK&CatId=333

Richard

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 11:18:02 GMT, "Richard Kawamura"
<rkawa@concentric.net> wrote:

>"Harry Edwards" <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message
>> We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
>> Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
>> So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
>> What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
>> this application.
>> I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
>> Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
>> of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
>> built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
>> can give me. Thanks!
>>

>How about this;
>
>Soyo - P4I845PE - Socket 478 ATX Barebone Kit with Intel Celeron 2.7GHz, CPU
>Fan, 256MB RAM, 90GB Hard Drive, CD-RW Drive, FireWire Card, AGP Card, Tower
>Case, 400Watt Power Supply, Keyboard and Mouse
>
>Click for larger image Price: $479.97
>Less Rebate: - $120.00
>
>Final Price: $359.97*
>

>http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=764764&Sku=S450-4214%20BK&CatId=333
>
>Richard

Hmm, well I don't like Celerons. I'd rather go with an Intel
motherboard for stability and reliability, but not one with built in
video. Thanks though!

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 00:10:49 -0400, "Pepperoni"
<undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Harry Edwards" <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message
>> We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
>> Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
>> So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
>> What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
>> this application.
>> I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
>> Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
>> of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
>> built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
>> can give me. Thanks!
>>

>You could build a fairly hot Intel machine for under $600 (plus OS),
>especially if you don't need the higher priced CPUs. 2.6 or so will save
>bucks and runs quite well. Memory prices fluctuate, so check current prices.
>I priced these parts for another poster some time ago. Easy build, leaves 7
>open expansion slots. Add cost of floppy and CD of your choice. All cables
>come with the board, setup CD is fast and easy/ fan & HS comes with the BOX
>chips. Case fan is quiet. I built with a 2.6 in December..... well pleased
>with the results.
>
>Pepperoni
>******************
>Intel BOXD865GBFL i865G SK478 800FSB Dual Ch DDR400, AGP 8X, SATA
>150,w/Video/Audio/Lan ATX MB - Retail Price: $ 105.89
>Board comes with cables and setup CD, auto-sensing/ no jumpers to set.
>***********
>Intel Pentium 4 3.0GHZ 800FSB Socket 478 512K ( BX80532PG3000D ) CPU Retail
>with Heatsink and Fan**Free Shipping** Price: $ 229.89
>or
>Intel Pentium 4 2.8CGHZ 800FSB Socket 478 512K ( BX80532PG2800D ) CPU Retail
>with Heatsink and Fan**Free Shipping** price $185.89
>************
>
>Kingston 512MB Kit ( 2x256MB ) PC3200 DDR 400MHz( KVR400X64C3AK2/512) CL3 -
>Retail * Free Shipping *Our price $118.89
>Runs well with 512, but I recommend a second kit to take advantage of Dual
>channel memory. I run single channel currently. (Win 98)
>
> Future Case 228 Blue 2.0 USB AMD / P4 Ready with 400w Power Supply, Case
>Fan Price: $ 38.00 Nice case, has front USB2, side fan. Everything on
>Mboard leaves 7 expansion slots. easy build.
>
>105.89
>229.89 or 185.89
>118.89
> 38.00
>-------------
>$492.67
>Add floppy, CD, OS and vid card (onboard video is OK for what you want )
>Check current memory prices. I would add another 512 kit to take full
>advantage of dual channel memory, but single channel will work fine for what
>you want to do. (currently running single channel W98) Onboard LAN, add
>modem card if on dialup.
>
>http://www.essencompu.com/

Thats actually pretty good, except for the built in video.
Where are these Future PC cases? I'd like to check them out more.
I'm familiar with theLian Li Line (I have two of their cases).

> Thats actually pretty good, except for the built in video.
> Where are these Future PC cases? I'd like to check them out more.
> I'm familiar with theLian Li Line (I have two of their cases).

The on board video is merely disabled when you add the AGP video card. I
added a cheap vid card merely to hook up my TV for watching DVDs. Intel
does make MBs without video, and even with the newer 875 chipset. examples:
http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=4278
http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=4751

The case is at:
http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=3276
It says "blue", but looks more grey to me. good case, quiet. Side fan is
quiet. I have not found it necessary to add another fan yet. Other colors
available. (silver)
http://tinyurl.com/249vb
hit the "details" link, then the "further info" links on right top of page
for detail photos.

Whew.... they want 100 buckies for LianLi, without power supply.
http://tinyurl.com/2epwg
Suit yourself, but I am quite satisfied with the case I described. Only
slight glitch was one of the case to board plugs came (3 pin, center vacant)
instead of (two pin), I used an adapter plug, but can be done by moving the
wires in the plug, I'm told.

Pepperoni

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:20:30 -0400, "Pepperoni"
<undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Harry Edwards" <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message
>>

>> Thats actually pretty good, except for the built in video.
>> Where are these Future PC cases? I'd like to check them out more.
>> I'm familiar with theLian Li Line (I have two of their cases).
>
>The on board video is merely disabled when you add the AGP video card. I
>added a cheap vid card merely to hook up my TV for watching DVDs. Intel
>does make MBs without video, and even with the newer 875 chipset. examples:
>http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=4278
>http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=4751
>
>The case is at:
>http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=3276
>It says "blue", but looks more grey to me. good case, quiet. Side fan is
>quiet. I have not found it necessary to add another fan yet. Other colors
>available. (silver)
>http://tinyurl.com/249vb
>hit the "details" link, then the "further info" links on right top of page
>for detail photos.
>
>Whew.... they want 100 buckies for LianLi, without power supply.
>http://tinyurl.com/2epwg
>Suit yourself, but I am quite satisfied with the case I described. Only
>slight glitch was one of the case to board plugs came (3 pin, center vacant)
>instead of (two pin), I used an adapter plug, but can be done by moving the
>wires in the plug, I'm told.
>
>Pepperoni

I won't go with the Lian Li for this one, but if it was for me being a
power user I'd go with another Lian Li. Are the power supplies that
go with the Future Cases any good? Thay all seem to come with one.
I can't go with on board video. If they decide to upgrade their video
someday and I'm not around, the on board might confuse them. I don't
want to confuse them. The board I'm looking at is Intel BOXD875PBZLK.
Its a bit more than the other Intel, but I do have some leeway as your
plan was under budget. I like the fact that it doesn't have on board
audio or video. I'm sort of a traditionalist when it comes to PC
building. I want as few things on board as possible.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 21:20:30 -0400, "Pepperoni"
<undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>"Harry Edwards" <ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote in message
>>

>> Thats actually pretty good, except for the built in video.
>> Where are these Future PC cases? I'd like to check them out more.
>> I'm familiar with theLian Li Line (I have two of their cases).
>
>The on board video is merely disabled when you add the AGP video card. I
>added a cheap vid card merely to hook up my TV for watching DVDs. Intel
>does make MBs without video, and even with the newer 875 chipset. examples:
>http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=4278
>http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=4751
>
>The case is at:
>http://www.essencompu.com/nupplysingar.asp?ID=3276
>It says "blue", but looks more grey to me. good case, quiet. Side fan is
>quiet. I have not found it necessary to add another fan yet. Other colors
>available. (silver)
>http://tinyurl.com/249vb
>hit the "details" link, then the "further info" links on right top of page
>for detail photos.
>
>Whew.... they want 100 buckies for LianLi, without power supply.
>http://tinyurl.com/2epwg
>Suit yourself, but I am quite satisfied with the case I described. Only
>slight glitch was one of the case to board plugs came (3 pin, center vacant)
>instead of (two pin), I used an adapter plug, but can be done by moving the
>wires in the plug, I'm told.
>
>Pepperoni

Oh yeah... what do you mean case to board plug? The people who are
going to own this are completely computer illeterate.... I don't want
them having issues down the road. I want it to be perfect.

> I won't go with the Lian Li for this one, but if it was for me being a
> power user I'd go with another Lian Li. Are the power supplies that
> go with the Future Cases any good? Thay all seem to come with one.
> I can't go with on board video. If they decide to upgrade their video
> someday and I'm not around, the on board might confuse them. I don't
> want to confuse them. The board I'm looking at is Intel BOXD875PBZLK.
> Its a bit more than the other Intel, but I do have some leeway as your
> plan was under budget. I like the fact that it doesn't have on board
> audio or video. I'm sort of a traditionalist when it comes to PC
> building. I want as few things on board as possible.

Intel on board sound is actually quite good. SoundMAX 4.0 which auto-senses
your speaker configuration. Plenty of features. Not to mention the drivers
are all included in the MB install CD. (remember to leave the install CD in
the case for your friends)
http://www.soundmax.com/accolades/reviews/
Some folks prefer add-on audio and video. Builders choice, eh? I use the
on board LAN.... flawless function for me. On board sound is fine for my
$10 speakers, video was fine until I wanted an RCA plug to use my TV for
DVDs. (don't ask--- cheapest video card I could find--- mediocre)

The 875 chipset is an improvement on my 865, and probably the last chipset
for the 478 pin layout.

Build will be easy. Only about 16 screws holding everything together--- half
of those on the motherboard. The Intel boards auto sense everything, so no
jumpers to configure. (overclockers hate 'em, but who needs to overclock
at speeds around 3Ghz?)

The Futurecase PS has worked flawlessly for me. no complaint.

As I said, Intel boards now use a 2 pin power LED cable instead of the
traditional 3 pin (center vacant). You may want to order an adapter when
you begin, to save time. They are here:
http://www.directron.com/3pinled.html
That was my only minor glitch, and it's Intels fault....hehe. (it won't
affect start-up, the LED just won't function)
Some folks just remove the wires and reinsert to eliminate the vacant center
pin hole. (careful, the pins are on the end of the array, the extra plug
hole must extend out of the array because of close spacing of the other
plugs on the same array.)

"Some new Intel motherboards come with 2-pin power LED connectors instead of
the traditional 3-pin ones. This causes a serious problem since most cases
come with 3-pin connectors! We now have an easy solution for you without
re-wiring your cables."

Have fun. It should be a screamer build. It will take about 2 hours, 3 if
you are clumsy. I use win98, which can't handle dual channel memory. I
would advise spending a few bucks and installing 512 on each channel XP
should handle it OK.

Pepperoni

Harry Edwards wrote:

> We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
> Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
> So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
> What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
> this application.
> I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
> Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
> of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
> built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
> can give me. Thanks!

For a Photoshop no-gaming machine I would tend towards a P4 800MHz HT
on an Asus P4C800 Deluxe with 2 x 512 MB RAM and a Matrox G550 or
Parhelia video card. The Lian-Li PC-60 is a beautiful case, and no
longer expensive in the old Europe;-)
A silent PSU is recommended (Antec, BeQuiet!, Tagan).

Roy

On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:24:42 -0400, Harry Edwards
<ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote:

>We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
>Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
>So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
>What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
>this application.
>I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
>Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
>of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
>built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
>can give me. Thanks!

I would recommend a case like an Antec SLK3700BQE. It is black in
color and comes with a 350watt Power Supplly, and a 120mm Exhaust fan.
I have a similar model the SLK3700AMB which I also like. Mine has a
grey metalic high gloss finish. Some people also like the Antec
Sonata which is a little higher Quality and is in a black finish.

I would recommend not going with Intel as a processor. I am using a
Retail AMD XP2800 which is an excellent processor for $124. I used an
Asus A7N8X retail motherboard. Then I used an old ATI video card. I
used a Sapphire Radeon 9000. However, that is a bit old.

A Radeon 9200 is a good Low-end video card.
Price $60.

A Radeon 9600 is a good Mid-range video card.
Price $100.

A Radeon 9600 Pro is a slightly improved version

A Radeon 9600 XT Is the top end in this range at about $150.

Never buy any ATI chipped video card with "SE" on the end of the video
card. This is a severly handicapped version of video cars.

The drivers on the ATI video cards are getting extremely good. I have
an old Radeon 7000 video card and I was surprised how good the video
card was with the newest drivers.

If you have to have a Intel system suggest an Asus P4P800 motherboard.
Then pick some processor that is around what you want to pay. I do
not recommend a Celeron Processor. You can probably afford a 800Mhz
processor but you do not need anything that fast. However, I
recommend that you get at least a 533Mhz FSB Intel Processor. I would
make a target on an Intel processor slightly less than $200.

An Intel 2.8C only costs about $175.00 That is about $50 more than
the AMD version.

On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 23:43:00 -0400, "Pepperoni"
<undeliverableaddy@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Intel on board sound is actually quite good. SoundMAX 4.0 which auto-senses
>your speaker configuration. Plenty of features. Not to mention the drivers
>are all included in the MB install CD. (remember to leave the install CD in
>the case for your friends)
>http://www.soundmax.com/accolades/reviews/
>Some folks prefer add-on audio and video. Builders choice, eh? I use the
>on board LAN.... flawless function for me. On board sound is fine for my
>$10 speakers, video was fine until I wanted an RCA plug to use my TV for
>DVDs. (don't ask--- cheapest video card I could find--- mediocre)
>
>The 875 chipset is an improvement on my 865, and probably the last chipset
>for the 478 pin layout.

Yes, Intel is considered the Mercedes Benz of motherboards, right?

>Build will be easy. Only about 16 screws holding everything together--- half
>of those on the motherboard. The Intel boards auto sense everything, so no
>jumpers to configure. (overclockers hate 'em, but who needs to overclock
>at speeds around 3Ghz?)

If there's one thing I can do well, its screw.

>The Futurecase PS has worked flawlessly for me. no complaint.

She likes the blue one so thats what I'll get.

>As I said, Intel boards now use a 2 pin power LED cable instead of the
>traditional 3 pin (center vacant). You may want to order an adapter when
>you begin, to save time. They are here:
>http://www.directron.com/3pinled.html
>That was my only minor glitch, and it's Intels fault....hehe. (it won't
>affect start-up, the LED just won't function)
>Some folks just remove the wires and reinsert to eliminate the vacant center
>pin hole. (careful, the pins are on the end of the array, the extra plug
>hole must extend out of the array because of close spacing of the other
>plugs on the same array.)
>
>"Some new Intel motherboards come with 2-pin power LED connectors instead of
>the traditional 3-pin ones. This causes a serious problem since most cases
>come with 3-pin connectors! We now have an easy solution for you without
>re-wiring your cables."

I think I have an adapter somewhere. I ddin't see you said the LED
pins. I thought you meant something else.

>Have fun. It should be a screamer build. It will take about 2 hours, 3 if
>you are clumsy. I use win98, which can't handle dual channel memory. I
>would advise spending a few bucks and installing 512 on each channel XP
>should handle it OK.
>
>Pepperoni

I'm going to give her Windows 2000 or XP I haven't decided.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 02:07:53 -0500, Last Boy Scout
<LastBoyScout@whitehouse.gov> wrote:

>On Sun, 18 Apr 2004 23:24:42 -0400, Harry Edwards
><ih8spam@don'temailmeiwillreplyhere> wrote:
>
>>We're not looking to spend a hell of alot... But she wants to run
>>Photoshop, MS Office and assorted school programs. Not a gaming PC.
>>So I'm thinking of a mid grade video card.
>>What kind of case? I like Lian Li, but they're way too expensive for
>>this application.
>>I feel a GeForce FX 5600 graphics card will be OK. What is the newest
>>Intel Chipset? I've built PCs before, but usually I go for the best
>>of everything and end up spending pretty much. I've honestly never
>>built a "moderate" system before - I'd appreciate any insights anyone
>>can give me. Thanks!
>

>I would recommend a case like an Antec SLK3700BQE. It is black in
>color and comes with a 350watt Power Supplly, and a 120mm Exhaust fan.
>I have a similar model the SLK3700AMB which I also like. Mine has a
>grey metalic high gloss finish. Some people also like the Antec
>Sonata which is a little higher Quality and is in a black finish.
>
>I would recommend not going with Intel as a processor. I am using a
>Retail AMD XP2800 which is an excellent processor for $124. I used an
>Asus A7N8X retail motherboard. Then I used an old ATI video card. I
>used a Sapphire Radeon 9000. However, that is a bit old.
>
>A Radeon 9200 is a good Low-end video card.
>Price $60.
>
>A Radeon 9600 is a good Mid-range video card.
>Price $100.
>
>A Radeon 9600 Pro is a slightly improved version
>
>A Radeon 9600 XT Is the top end in this range at about $150.
>
>Never buy any ATI chipped video card with "SE" on the end of the video
>card. This is a severly handicapped version of video cars.
>
>The drivers on the ATI video cards are getting extremely good. I have
>an old Radeon 7000 video card and I was surprised how good the video
>card was with the newest drivers.
>
>If you have to have a Intel system suggest an Asus P4P800 motherboard.
>Then pick some processor that is around what you want to pay. I do
>not recommend a Celeron Processor. You can probably afford a 800Mhz
>processor but you do not need anything that fast. However, I
>recommend that you get at least a 533Mhz FSB Intel Processor. I would
>make a target on an Intel processor slightly less than $200.
>
>An Intel 2.8C only costs about $175.00 That is about $50 more than
>the AMD version.

You're right. But I'm going for stability and reliability. I'm going
to stick with nVidia and Intel for now. They're school teachers and i
can't have their PC crashing. I know AMD is 99% stable but I want to
play it safe. As for ATI. Meh... I'm wary about ATI. I had a
laptop with ATI on it (A Fujitsu P2110) and it had constant video
issues. I also had an All in Wonder - also had issues. I haver had
any problems with my nVidias.
Celeron - no way. I won't get a Celery. I've dealt with them too.
I'm looking at an 800mhz FSB intel board. I'm probably going to go
with a P4 2.6 with the 800 FSB.

>I'm looking at an 800mhz FSB intel board. I'm probably going to go
>with a P4 2.6 with the 800 FSB.

I have Pent D865gbf mb that is 8oo mhz fsb 2.6 processor with gig of
ram and nothing stops it or slows it down... i use if for digital audio
editing with w98se adn its stable as a rock

don ward

--
---
don ward <dward7@earthlink.net>

On Wed, 21 Apr 2004 06:14:10 GMT, dward7@earthlink.net (don ward)
wrote:

>>I'm looking at an 800mhz FSB intel board. I'm probably going to go
>>with a P4 2.6 with the 800 FSB.
>
>I have Pent D865gbf mb that is 8oo mhz fsb 2.6 processor with gig of
>ram and nothing stops it or slows it down... i use if for digital audio
>editing with w98se adn its stable as a rock
>
>don ward

Am I the only one who isn't using 98se? I have a Gigabyte board with
the 875p chipset and its stable too. I use it fro video capping, on
my nvidia card. I do some converting mostally. You know - converting
all my porn to MPG ;)
What do you use to edit your videos?