[SOLVED] Building a PC from used parts, can boot to BIOS but once I exit it says checking nvram then goes to a black screen with blinking underscore

Jun 3, 2020
I'm building a PC for someone who gave me a bunch of used parts and asked me to order whatever else.

Specs are;
Asus p7f-x motherboard
500w power supply
16gb ddr3 ram
intel i7-860
geforce gt-320
2 sata hdd's that work in other sytems
optical dvd drive
and a wireless card

I can boot into the bios after getting it all setup and the bios recognizes everything and even has a bios flashing tool built in but for whatever reason if I skip the bios or enter then exit the bios it just goes to a black screen with blinking underscore.

I've tried disconnecting every device, tried cycling the ram through the slots with each of the 4 sticks all that but always the same result.

I tried letting it sit to see if it just needed to warm up or whatever but after like 15 minutes I gave up on that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Solution
I can boot into the bios after getting it all setup and the bios recognizes everything and even has a bios flashing tool built in but for whatever reason if I skip the bios or enter then exit the bios it just goes to a black screen with blinking underscore.
The BIOS battery is probably empty, it's a CR2032 button battery on your motherboard.
If it's empty it can't keep the information about your drives so you have to enter them each time you start the system.
Jun 3, 2020
Sounds like your storage isn't connected reseat ram and check the sata connectors are in, you have ligit Windows installed right?

I've done that, also disconnected all of the hdd's, I have windows on both hdd's one has 7 one has 10 and they both boot normally in another system

The BIOS battery is probably empty, it's a CR2032 button battery on your motherboard.
If it's empty it can't keep the information about your drives so you have to enter them each time you start the system.

Solution
Jun 3, 2020

Seems to have been a mix of that and a few other issues. It didn't like one of the sticks of ram as well with the battery being dead it wouldn't boot proper until I fixed both issues, it also managed to corrupt windows on the HDD that had windows 10 on it so I've been repairing that all night now

Reactions: eibelbilly