Building a pc (low budget)

Jake_Robs

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Hi, this is my first post on a forum like this, but I need some help.

My pc has recently died and I'm pretty sure it's because of the motherboard or PSU as the RAM and GPU are fairly new but the rest of the pc parts are like 10 years old or something.

- The pc powers up but does not display anything onscreen. There is sometimes one beep sometimes no beeps on power up. I've already checked myself if it's a problem with the RAM and I don't believe it is.

So I'd like to build a new pc or buy new parts at low cost but good enough to game with. Right now I'd have 16Gb of RAM (4 sticks at 4GB's) and a GTX660. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now anyway, but haven't gotten around to it for various reasons. Any help or feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

(budget is somewhere around £300)

Jake_Robs

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
I forgot to mention that I know 64 GB is overkill, but I bought the pc from a friend and it already had 64GB attached. ( I'm pretty sure the pc only recognised 32Gb anyway) and I used the pc to play games like league of legends and arma 2/3

Jake_Robs

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Okay so I may be wrong, but I believe my specs are:

Motherboard: h57h-am2 v3.0
PSU: liteon ps-6451-5
Processor: i5-650
GPU: Gtx 660
Ram: 16GB (4x4GB) corsair vengeance.
Okay so I think there was miscommunication with my friend over the amount of RAM lol.
HDD: Seagate 1TB

I think that's all and correct me if I'm wrong...

Jake_Robs

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
@LucoTF. Probably a silly question, but would that fit where my old PSU sits and, if my pc is damaged for some reason ( say the motherboard) could it damage the new PSU if I just add it and try to turn it on?

Because right now as is the pc powers up but doesn't connect to any display ( it also takes 2 'attempts' to start after pressing the power button)

Oh and the mouse and keyboard don't light up e.t.c all of which makes me think it's a PSU or motherboard problem...

Jake_Robs

Prominent
Apr 26, 2017
Thats right. I did some online searching and checked myself if it was due to a fault with the RAM, but the RAM doesn't seem to be the issue- my personal conclusion was just that the other parts of my pc are very old and probably killed over from use. Right now when the pc turns on sometimes it will beep once or not beep at all and there is no display. All the fans spin.

Whoops, well spotted :)