Building a pc or buying a pre-build pc need some help

Its_Fin

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
So I'm in need of a new pc but I'm not never good with computers and i don't know much about them all I can say is that I would like a pc that can run arma at medium settings at a decent fps(don't look at the recommended requirements they are not true)

I don't know a exact about of money I have but a can tell you it's around £700-£1100.

If I can build a pc that can run arma at better setting let me know

You should know I have a headset, keyboard and mouse already so I don't need those. + I have a corsair CX 750 power supply if that's good.

Please list all parts( or if it's a pre-build pc give me a link im happy with that as well) and a price

Thanks -Fin
Ps. If you would like anymore info please ask

Gamefreak924

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016
Well it depends if you want modern hardware to keep you up to date or if you don't mind spending less money on old hardware (although you won't get the benefits of modern hardware and you might be out of date within the next eight years). You can most likely build a PC for only about a few hundred at most. Do you plan on ever playing any new games?
Also, refer to system requirements here: https://arma3.com/buy#requirements
Do note that these can be flexible.

Its_Fin

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I'm sorry but I don't know what you mean by old and modern software

And I do not plan to buy any of these high requirements new games that are coming out. I just would like to play arma with a playable fps with my friends and maybe some overwatch

Gamefreak924

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

Old hardware= 2010 and before; new hardware= within the past six years. I'll provide a whole bunch of links for parts. I'll make a link for another motherboard if the one I link sells out.

Mobo: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Intel-DX38BT-Extreme-Series-ATX-LGA775-DDR3-Motherboard-w-E6750-CPU-2GB-RAM-/112008785484?hash=item1a143e6e4c:g:IMAAAOSwUfNXR1uL ($67.99)

More RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145251&nm_mc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC&cm_mmc=KNC-GoogleAdwords-PC-_-pla-_-Memory+%28Desktop+Memory%29-_-N82E16820145251&gclid=CP-ftcqZys4CFcdffgod1t8GEw&gclsrc=aw.ds ($25.99)

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487157 ($159.99)

Hard Drive: https://www.amazon.com/Blue-250-Desktop-Hard-Drive/dp/B00115TE0K ($26.50)

Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827135304 ($20.99)

CPU fan: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200054 ($9.99)

Thermal Paste (for fan to CPU): https://www.amazon.com/Arctic-Silver-AS5-3-5G-Thermal-Paste/dp/B000OGX5AM ($7.43)

Case (pick one of your preference): http://www.newegg.com/Computer-Cases/SubCategory/ID-7 (Est $50)

USB WIFI Adapter: https://www.amazon.com/USB-N13-Wireless-N-Adapter-802-11b-Wireless/dp/B002UVNW5W ($18.25)

Total= $387.13 = About £294.65

Just double check to make sure any wires needed for some of the stuff comes with it all.

Edit: There are some in depth and quick tutorials, how to's, and troubleshooting tips on YouTube if you need to know how to build it. It's hard until you watch any of the videos for the second or third time. Trust me. I know. I just recently built one for the first time haha.
Second Edit: Added prices and final conversion. Not from UK and it was 1am here when I originally posted this haha.

FD2Raptor

Admirable
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor (£210.00 @ Amazon UK)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler (£29.99 @ Novatech)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (£124.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory (£74.99 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (£61.86 @ Amazon UK)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (£43.98 @ Ebuyer)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB SC GAMING Video Card (£248.47 @ BT Shop)
Case: NZXT S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case (£58.65 @ CCL Computers)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (£70.97 @ Amazon UK)
Monitor: BenQ RL2455HM 24.0" 60Hz Monitor (£105.99 @ Amazon UK)
Total: £1029.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-18 09:17 BST+0100

At the top end of your budget, you can do ARMA 3 at a lot better than just medium settings.

Its_Fin

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
FD2raptor

What do you think of adding a i7 and not a i5 because I dont need a power supply or a monitor

+What is a 240GB solid state drive?
Sorry I'm not good at this stuff

Gamefreak924

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

I don't think he should be spending that much on a PC if that's all he wants to play. But that's just my opinion. Every dollar counts.

Solution

Its_Fin

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
I don't mind spending alot because I might be able to play these new games. I only really said I would like to play arma because I never realy had a good pc to try out any new high requirement games

Gamefreak924

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

Every dollar counts to me so I watch to be bit conservative with what I buy. I suggest listening to Raptor if what you're really looking for is a beast computer setup to pretty much run everything at once. But if you think saving is something you'd like to do, I think the build I gave could do the trick. Old CPUs for the most part can play games the same. They don't have the extra "kick" but they sure do work. I use an old setup with a CPU from 2007 haha. And it works great. Also, I edited my original post to put up prices if you are interested.
If your final decision is for the old hardware and you really want top performance on my given budget, you can upgrade the video card to a GTX 960 or 970 and replace the CPU with an Intel Core 2 Quad (such as the Q6600 or even Q9650).

Also an SSD is basically flash memory. Instead of a spinning hard drive, it's a ...well... Solid drive with no moving parts. Good for speed to place your OS and important stuff on, for whichever one you decide to buy.

Gamefreak924

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

That's very strange then. The system requirements would say that you meet what is needed, unless your motherboard could've had a problem or your video card wasn't seated and connected properly. I can run League, World of Tanks (max settings), and a few other games just fine on my old hardware.

I would say to get that checked out then. I can help you along the way over skype if you need, but that is indeed very odd. Do you know your motherboard, fan system, and also when and who you got the pc from?

Perhaps your cpu could be overheating. Try checking on that perhaps? https://www.techpowerup.com/realtemp/

FD2Raptor

Admirable

If your main objective is gaming, you're not going to see much benefits by switching to an i7.

You can remove the monitor if you already had one but the PSU... That Corsair CX isn't really something that can be relied on to safely power a mid-high-end system with OC-able CPU, RAM and GPU. The CX series is really just meant for lower power system like i3 and GTX950, i.e ~200W system with the ~400W CX. A system that actually require a ~700W PSU should never be powered by the budget line PSU, which the CX series is.

There are articles on the internet about what SSD (or Solid State Drive) is, but for the benefit of a quick explanation, they are flash memory based, without moving parts like HDD, have much greater read speed (max out the SATA3 standard) and generally also much greater write speed (you can find out the details as to why this is the case if you really want to read about the stuff by searching for articles about TLC and SLC buffer).
TL;DR : They're a lot faster than the old HDD but are more expensive in term of $/GB.

This build should allow you to play every titles out there right now at ~60FPS 1080p Ultra settings unless it's a holy @#$% mess of optimization i.e the developer failed at their job. Every part are in the upper end of gaming build out there; the SuperNOVA G2 550W should leisurely power any future GPU of same tier+1 (which would be the GTX 1170) and the i5 6600k with its OC ability will provide enough CPU power for the years to come. The MB still have more empty slot for more RAM, more HDDs/SSDs (including NVMe drive, which is even faster than SSD although currently also way more expensive). All in all, this system will surely survive many years of gaming to come.

ARMA 3, as I've seen is one such title that is extremely poorly optimized and I've heard some people with extreme high end X99 based i7 and still struggle with that title so I've decided against overpaying for i7 in hope of a random chance that it would pay out; while I've stacked as much performance parts that should to give ARMA3 fps benefits as possible for his build (the 6600k OC-able CPU with a good cooler, 3000Mhz DDR4, with a good SSD feeding data to it).

Its_Fin

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
GameFreak

I think the recommended requirements lie.
When I play on a LAN with my friends I can have a good looking game but when I play on a server with other people e.g. wasteland I need to turn down my setting quite alot

And you will not be able to help me fix my old pc because it it's ether broke or shit because it was my first pc that a got from pc world( it's not a gaming PC) + I put my own graphics card and power supply in the pc

Gamefreak924

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

If you're only really having to turn down the settings on a server, it may just be the server or your connection. But that's just a thought.

Its_Fin

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Thanks FD2raptor/GameFreak

Just a question is everything I need in that list
Can I just buy all that stuff, put it together and have a pc?

Like what about windows or other thing like drivers if you need to pay for those

FD2Raptor

Admirable
As the story goes in regard to ARMA 3, some multiplayer servers settings went over the game engine ability to run itself, and in that regard, unless Bohemia Interactive get off their behind and update/upgrade the engine behind the game, no amount power from one individual PC's gonna be able to change that.

The build listed include every hardware (except keyboard, mouse and an optical drive) require to form an operating PC and is based on the test machine on Hardware Unboxed which in their test of the GTX1060:

R94DDHh.png

I've realized that there are a few questions I about things I thought to be obvious but that I now feel must be asked before you go and spend your hard earned money on that build:

1> What connector does your monitor use? The 1060 I listed only have 1x DVI-I; 1x HDMI and 3x Display Port. Make sure that your current monitor support such connector or you may need a converter.
2>Do you need an optical drive? To read/write CD? DVD? The NZXT S340 case is an excellent case to build in, but it doesn't have a 5.25" bay for such drive. If you already have an internal DVDRW drive and were looking to reuse that as well, I'll try to look for a different case that can still accommodate all other parts; otherwise a Samsung SE-208DB/TSBS Slim Portable External USB 2.0 DVDRW - Black can be available for £25.99.

3> The build doesn't include a Windows license, but you can purchase one at Amazon:
Windows 10 Home £83.98 & Eligible for FREE UK Delivery.
Windows 10 Pro £149.61 & Eligible for FREE UK Delivery.

Those have an USB option, i.e you don't need a DVD drive to install Windows. As for drivers for the hardware, you are always recommended to go to the manufacturer website to download the latest version instead of rely on the old version on disc.