[SOLVED] Building a PC soon

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BrandonFitzpatricc/saved/MTVDxr

I’m planning to build this PC soon. It’s primarily for gaming and I’m gonna try overclocking my CPU, GPU, and RAM to their maximum capabilities. The GPU is a placeholder until the custom RX 5700 XT’s come out, and I currently plan on using the trident z neo RAM once it releases. Does anyone have any recommendations for components that I should change? I’d be willing to invest a bit more money into a motherboard or any other component for that matter because I’m trying to go all out, but at the same time I’m trying not to spend money recklessly. I want to avoid upgrading any of my components (besides my storage and maybe my GPU) for the next five years

Solution
You won't be overclocking the Ryzen system more than a few hundred Mhz. If anything they perform better without OCing and just allowing the nee precision boost to handle everything.

Honestly the motherboard you have is overkill you could go for a $200 one like the Aorus pro Elite (suggested parts linked below), drop the cooler and use the box cooler because it is decent and will keep the CPU perfectly happy. Then you can use that 150 you saved to upgrade the GPU to say a 2070 Super which will give you a much bigger performance increase compared to a small overclock.

Also RAM is RAM. One stage you needed the Samsung B die to get good performance out of Ryzen but any kit that is rated for 3733 will be the best for Ryzen 3000. Even...

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/BrandonFitzpatricc/saved/MTVDxr

I’m planning to build this PC soon. It’s primarily for gaming and I’m gonna try overclocking my CPU, GPU, and RAM to their maximum capabilities. The GPU is a placeholder until the custom RX 5700 XT’s come out, and I currently plan on using the trident z neo RAM once it releases. Does anyone have any recommendations for components that I should change? I’d be willing to invest a bit more money into a motherboard or any other component for that matter because I’m trying to go all out, but at the same time I’m trying not to spend money recklessly. I want to avoid upgrading any of my components (besides my storage and maybe my GPU) for the next five years

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Power supply is a little oversized, unless you plan on shunt mods for the GPU (in which case you should just go ahead and go with a faster card from Nvidia or the Radeon VII)

Ryzen 3000 CPUs don't overclock all that much, so don't expect the world there. Most people seem to be able to add about 50Mhz on top of the stock boost frequency. (They often seem incapable of running at the rated max listed boost as well)

My understanding of the current state of X570 motherboards is that memory overclocking past 3600Mhz is a hindrance to Ryzen 3, after that point the Infinity fabric is de-coupled from the memory clock and defaults to 1800Mhz and stays there. That might have changed with recent BIOS updates though.

Reactions: BrandonFitzpatricc

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
Got it, thanks for the advice.
Power supply is a little oversized, unless you plan on shunt mods for the GPU (in which case you should just go ahead and go with a faster card from Nvidia or the Radeon VII)

Ryzen 3000 CPUs don't overclock all that much, so don't expect the world there. Most people seem to be able to add about 50Mhz on top of the stock boost frequency. (They often seem incapable of running at the rated max listed boost as well)

My understanding of the current state of X570 motherboards is that memory overclocking past 3600Mhz is a hindrance to Ryzen 3, after that point the Infinity fabric is de-coupled from the memory clock and defaults to 1800Mhz and stays there. That might have changed with recent BIOS updates though.
Got it, thanks for the advice. I’ll keep my memory at it’s base speed if I get trident z neo. As for the power supply, I mainly chose that one so I have space for upgrading in the future. It has a 12 year warrantee so I figured it would be better to invest in a high wattage power supply that I won’t need to upgrade

Got it, thanks for the advice.

Got it, thanks for the advice. I’ll keep my memory at it’s base speed if I get trident z neo. As for the power supply, I mainly chose that one so I have space for upgrading in the future. It has a 12 year warrantee so I figured it would be better to invest in a high wattage power supply that I won’t need to upgrade
That power supply isn't insanely over provisioned. I've seen far worse. You have plenty of overhead for upgrades. I'm not up to speed on the new radeon cards. Is that the best bang for your buck?

You won't be overclocking the Ryzen system more than a few hundred Mhz. If anything they perform better without OCing and just allowing the nee precision boost to handle everything.

Honestly the motherboard you have is overkill you could go for a $200 one like the Aorus pro Elite (suggested parts linked below), drop the cooler and use the box cooler because it is decent and will keep the CPU perfectly happy. Then you can use that 150 you saved to upgrade the GPU to say a 2070 Super which will give you a much bigger performance increase compared to a small overclock.

Also RAM is RAM. One stage you needed the Samsung B die to get good performance out of Ryzen but any kit that is rated for 3733 will be the best for Ryzen 3000. Even then it's not a great performance uplift from 3200.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nH...us-elite-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shop/g...gb&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 2070 SUPER&sorting=lp

Solution

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019
That power supply isn't insanely over provisioned. I've seen far worse. You have plenty of overhead for upgrades. I'm not up to speed on the new radeon cards. Is that the best bang for your buck?
I think so. The RX 5700 XT managed to beat the RTX 2080 in a few games, which is really impressive considering the price difference. It also has higher overclocking capabilities, and Radeon image sharpening barely affects your FPS, unlike ray-tracing. Until nvidia lowers their prices, the 5700XT is probably the best GPU on the market if you’re looking to get the best performance for your money, in my opinion anyway

BrandonFitzpatricc

Commendable
Jun 23, 2019

Also RAM is RAM. One stage you needed the Samsung B die to get good performance out of Ryzen but any kit that is rated for 3733 will be the best for Ryzen 3000. Even then it's not a great performance uplift from 3200.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/nH...us-elite-atx-am4-motherboard-x570-aorus-elite

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/shop/geforce/gpu/?page=1&limit=9&locale=en-gb&category=GPU&gpu=RTX 2070 SUPER&sorting=lp
Thanks for the advice, I’ll take that into consideration

No it's not. It rivalled the 2070 even though it was a bit slower for about 50 less. Best bang for you buck atm are the old Vega cards. You won't be playing 4K but a 56 for 100 less than the 2060 and 5700 isn't bad.