[SOLVED] Building a PC with a $3000 budget. Need some feedback on this build before I pull the trigger

Apr 28, 2020
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYFOhgRJRA

If you could take the time to view the build and help me out I'd really appreciate it
I have been having trouble getting advice on Reddit and thought the community here could give me a hand

I really enjoy that PC build and it's around the budget that I want to spend. Here are the specs included:

CPU: i9 9900K

GPU: MSi RTX 2080 Ti

RAM: Gskill 32gb 3000

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS XTREME LGA 1151

CPU cooler: Cooler Master ML360R Addressable RGB AIO

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M

Power supply: CORSAIR HX850i 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM

HDD: WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM

M.2: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 2280 500GB

I know there are other items that arent included in the list that he uses in the video I will have to grab
Note, I want the PC to last another 5 years. I play competitive shooters such as CSGO, Valorant, Cod, other games like DayZ and VR (Oculus Rift)

Solution
32gb of ram? why? get 16gb with a good Cas latency like the Trident Z at 14Cas

Based on what the OP posted.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($430.95 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML360R RGB 66.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.94 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($262.24 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4400 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Patriot Viper Steel 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-4400 Memory ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue SN550 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($69.99...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I'll assume this is for games then...
will last anther 5 years
Not happening with a 2080Ti soon to be 2 years old. Even flagship gpus may be good for up to 4 years. 5 is pushing it.

monitor is a 24inh Asus 1920x1080 144hz, 1ms
Knock it down to a 2070 Super, mate. A 2080Ti offers no real advantage at that resolution, where the weakest link more often than not will be the cpu.

Apr 28, 2020
This feels a bit like overkill to me at this resolution. You could build a $1500 PC, not lose any meaningful performance now, and then build a $1500 PC that's much more powerful than this $3000 one in three years.

i planned on buying a zowie 240hz monitor. that will put at at a 3 monitor display.. really looking to just build and coast the next couple years no problem

Apr 28, 2020
That's why we asked! The more complete the information we get, the better the advice will be. 5760x1080 is a very different resolution than 1920x1080!

im sorry about that. youre right. aside from that, does everything look ok? in the video it looks like he is using some extenders and a device to control the fans. What are those called if you know?

DSzymborski

Titan
im sorry about that. youre right. aside from that, does everything look ok? in the video it looks like he is using some extenders and a device to control the fans. What are those called if you know?

Assuming we're looking at the same thing, it's the hub for the fans and the RGB. You'll need them into a hub before putting them into the motherboard; the motherboard doesn't have individual ports for each RGB component.

Apr 28, 2020
Assuming we're looking at the same thing, it's the hub for the fans and the RGB. You'll need them into a hub before putting them into the motherboard; the motherboard doesn't have individual ports for each RGB component.

Oh ok i understand. looking at the cable management on the back side seems like it will be a mess.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
If you actually intend to display your games across all 3 screens, then the 2080Ti is warranted - still won't get 5 years out of it.
If just one screen will be your main, then you'd be overspending on that card.
Also, due to how lopsided the 2080Ti is on 1080p builds, users will be forced to either:
-enable DSR at x2 or higher
-cap the frame rate(can introduce input lag)
-enable V-sync(introduces input lag)
-enable Fast sync(introduces input lag, but less than that of V-sync)

The 240hz monitors are best for eSports titles. Other games are either impossible with the available hardware, or unsustainable(240fps minumum).
I haven't seen any Valorant vids yet, so I don't know how smoothly that game runs yet.

Apr 28, 2020
If you actually intend to display your games across all 3 screens, then the 2080Ti is warranted - still won't get 5 years out of it.
If just one screen will be your main, then you'd be overspending on that card.
Also, due to how lopsided the 2080Ti is on 1080p builds, users will be forced to either:
-enable DSR at x2 or higher
-cap the frame rate(can introduce input lag)
-enable V-sync(introduces input lag)
-enable Fast sync(introduces input lag, but less than that of V-sync)

The 240hz monitors are best for eSports titles. Other games are either impossible with the available hardware, or unsustainable(240fps minumum).
I haven't seen any Valorant vids yet, so I don't know how smoothly that game runs yet.

Ok.. So what do you recommend then for a GPU? Also, Im looking at PC parts picker, I cant find a motherboard that has the Fan commander that will work with what I want. If you could have better luck finding one. Also, I intend on just using my main monitor for FPS games

this is my build so far, feel free to change
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cmitchell337/saved/#view=dHqXbv

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020
1)2070 Super.

2)Partpicker won't show it. You have to go to Gigabyte's site to see it. It's only included with specific motherboards:
Z390 AORUS XTREME
Z390 AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE
Z390 AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE 5G
It's not like you HAVE to get one of these. You could just grab a Z390 Aorus Elite and get the Corsair Commander Pro.

So just again if you could explain it to me like i'm 5, the 2070 Super would be a better decision than the 2080ti why again? And thank you I will grab the Aorus Elite with the commander pro

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)At 1080p, the 'weakest link' will not be the gpu, but the cpu. As you go up in resolution, the greater the load on the gpu, less for the cpu. Vice versa, it's the opposite.
2)The 2080Ti overwhelms every available cpu at 1080p, if left to run willy-nilly, i.e., left to render frames unhindered.
Without some kind of limit set, this forces the cpu to try to keep this monster of a gpu from idling.
This leads to a cpu limitation, because the primary thread(s) will end up being bogged down in their tasks trying to feed pre-rendered frames for the gpu to process.

3)Because of the above, other gpus down the product stack won't be far behind in performance, and the user won't have to set some kind of limit either - at least, with a 9900K anyways.
4)A balanced system is best; a 2080Ti just demolishes that at 1080p.
5)The cost to performance on this gpu sucks, but it's worse at 1080p because a limit needs to be set.

I'll even make a slight change to my earlier suggestion even: 2070 Super or 2080 Super.
2080 Super isn't a great value, but it's nowhere near as bad as the 2080Ti.

Apr 28, 2020
1)At 1080p, the 'weakest link' will not be the gpu, but the cpu. As you go up in resolution, the greater the load on the gpu, less for the cpu. Vice versa, it's the opposite.
2)The 2080Ti overwhelms every available cpu at 1080p, if left to run willy-nilly, i.e., left to render frames unhindered.
Without some kind of limit set, this forces the cpu to try to keep this monster of a gpu from idling.
This leads to a cpu limitation, because the primary thread(s) will end up being bogged down in their tasks trying to feed pre-rendered frames for the gpu to process.

3)Because of the above, other gpus down the product stack won't be far behind in performance, and the user won't have to set some kind of limit either - at least, with a 9900K anyways.
4)A balanced system is best; a 2080Ti just demolishes that at 1080p.
5)The cost to performance on this gpu sucks, but it's worse at 1080p because a limit needs to be set.

I'll even make a slight change to my earlier suggestion even: 2070 Super or 2080 Super.
2080 Super isn't a great value, but it's nowhere near as bad as the 2080Ti.

Ok you convinced me.

here is the updated build
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/cmitchell337/saved/#view=q9wF8d

if you could check that out and just see if it looks good. Last question I have, Do i need a corsair case for the commander pro to be compatible with RGB and fans? Is there anything else you recommend in my build? I know I have to add those extenders that he has in the video, they sit in the top left section of the displayed parts video he has

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
You still have 64GBs on the list - everything else is fine.

Do i need a corsair case for the commander pro to be compatible with RGB and fans?
No.

I know I have to add those extenders that he has in the video, they sit in the top left section of the displayed parts video he has
~Ohh, those Lian Li strimers! Those aren't extenders.
They aren't necessary at all. It's an option to RGB your psu cables.

JWMiddleeton

Reputable
Apr 27, 2020
This feels a bit like overkill to me at this resolution. You could build a $1500 PC, not lose any meaningful performance now, and then build a $1500 PC that's much more powerful than this $3000 one in three years.

That was exactly what I was thinking. There is no way to know what will be happening with GPUs in 3 years, much less 5 years. Diminishing Returns applies with this system as a $1,500 system might give you 75% of the performance, but would be more than adequate. Even the less expensive system might still be fine in a few years and you could get by with just a GPU upgrade. But, if you just want bragging rights and money is no object, then go for it!

NOTE: I didn't read the entire thread before replying, so this could have all be covered and changed.

Thank you. I really appreciate your time. This is exactly what I needed. This will be a major upgrade from my build now (i7 4770k, Gtx 970)

In Nov 2015, I built my current system with an i7-4790K, that was already a few years old. Last week I upgraded to a GTX 1660 Super and am very pleased with the results.

Last edited:

mmd_jvd

Reputable
Feb 17, 2020
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgYFOhgRJRA

If you could take the time to view the build and help me out I'd really appreciate it
I have been having trouble getting advice on Reddit and thought the community here could give me a hand

I really enjoy that PC build and it's around the budget that I want to spend. Here are the specs included:

CPU: i9 9900K

GPU: MSi RTX 2080 Ti

RAM: Gskill 32gb 3000

Motherboard: GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS XTREME LGA 1151

CPU cooler: Cooler Master ML360R Addressable RGB AIO

Case: Cooler Master MasterCase H500M

Power supply: CORSAIR HX850i 850W 80 PLUS PLATINUM

HDD: WD Black 2TB Performance Desktop Hard Disk Drive - 7200 RPM

M.2: SAMSUNG 970 EVO 2280 500GB

I know there are other items that arent included in the list that he uses in the video I will have to grab
Note, I want the PC to last another 5 years. I play competitive shooters such as CSGO, Valorant, Cod, other games like DayZ and VR (Oculus Rift)
got good stuff tho!
partner if u really want this for last another 5 years, i strongly suggest take 1TB SSD cuz u know, we are in 2020 and rdr2 takes 120GB of your volume so God help us in 2025 :D