Question Building a pc

Are you buying from the US? if so, you can get the 4070 for much cheaper.

But the important question is which VR do plan to use with the PC?

VR resolution is higher than a 2k monitor and you need a beefy GPU to run AAA VR titles.

The 4070 is the minimum i would say if you are using Quest 2 or Index or Reverb G2.

4070ti would be preferrable.

You could try to save some cash by going for the 5800X3D and DDR4 rams.

Last edited:

IDProG

Distinguished
I’m trying to build a mini itx pc for high end vr gaming with a budget of ~1500$. I decided to use these components-https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2VsNKp
Please give me advice since I’m very new and am not sure whether this is an ok build or not.
Don't take this as an offense, but:
1. Do not expect high-end gaming with $1500, let alone high-end gaming Mini ITX. Mini ITX systems are generally more expensive than ATX systems.

2. Find a card that has more than 8GB VRAM. I recommend at least 16GB VRAM if you want to comfortably game without worrying about VRAM for at least 5 years. The cheapest card that fits this is the RX 6800.

3. For builders on a budget, buy AMD CPUs, because they consume significantly less power, meaning that they can be cooled by cheaper coolers and do not require high wattage PSUs.

As a counter point to thermal throttling:
Modern motherboard and processors will run as strongly as they can given the workload and cooling capabilities.
If a processor senses a dangerous heat level it will slow down to protect itself. That point for Intel is 100c.
That is a good thing. It keeps you running which is better than a failure.
When the heat issue resolves, full speed can be resumed.
The throttling may be very momentary, perhaps a fraction of a second.
K suffix processors are better binned and will have a slightly higher turbo potential compared to non K processors.
You get what you pay for.
For an ITX build cooling is something to address. Not so much from the small size as for the inability to get lots of fresh air into the system to cool the cpu as well as the gpu and the motherboard.