Question Building a Power PC - please review

Apr 4, 2019
Dear Community,

I am planning to build a Power PC, which i will use for usual Home, Web and Multimedia use mostly, but also for Audio-Work and for Coding. I think investing in some more powerfull Parts will make the System last longer before beeing outdated.
So my build is as listed below. Please give me Feedback if some parts are not fitting together or are not worth the price or others might fit better.

Approximate Purchase Date: within the next month

Budget Range: open, but should be stay below 2200$ for the tower, the lower the better

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Surfing, watching Movies, Listening music, audio editing and DAW, recording audio, programming with different enviroments - statistics, data visualisation, maintaining data base, running VM

Are you buying a monitor: Yes

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: will look for cheapest in the net, but show here the links on newweg

Parts Preferences:not necesarilly, open for recomendations :) , thus i did research to choose what i chose and i like fans and PSU from be quiet!

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2.560 x 1.440, Acer ED323QURAbidp 31,5" curved
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en/p/N82E16824011288?Description=Acer ED323QURAbidp&cm_re=Acer_ED323QURAbidp--24-011-288--Product
Additional Comments: I would like a quiet PC.

Case Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C - probably change the case Fans for be quiet ones ( Be Quiet BL067 )to have better software regulation for the cooling system
https://www.fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series/define-r6-usb-c

PSU be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en..._dark_power_pro_11-_-9SIA68V39G8952-_-Product

Mainboard Gigabyte Designare Z390 - i think thundebolt is good for the future?
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en...igabyte_designare_z390-_-13-145-110-_-Product

CPU Intel Core i7 8700K - as i read its not worth paying more for the 9th generation, winning 2 more cores but loosing threads
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en...re=intel_core_i7_8700k-_-19-117-827-_-Product

CPU Fan be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en...et_dark_rock_pro_4-_-9SIA68V6YA3005-_-Product

RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4, 2x16GB, 3200MHz
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en...ngeance_32gb_ddr4_3200-_-20-236-541-_-Product

Graphics MSI Radeon RX 570 4GB
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en...re=msi_rx570_armor_4gb-_-14-137-414-_-Product

SSD Samsung EVO 970 1TB
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en...re=samsung_evo_970_1tb-_-20-147-743-_-Product

HDD WD Blue 6TB, 7200Rpm
https://www.newegg.com/global/at-en...estern_digital_blue_6t-_-22-235-009-_-Product

Drive Blu Ray, not really specified which, probably LG

also there will be some peripherals

Monitor as above
Keyboard probably Logitech CRAFT (should work with Linux)
Mouse Logitech MX 2S either Anywhere or Master
Sound Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 - i thpught for my usage now its fitting, if im getting serious i can go for higher priced and probably thunderbolt coupled ones
https://www.amazon.com/Focusrite-Sc...gateway&sprefix=focusrite+scar,aps,418&sr=8-4

Thanks in advance for your help

Apr 4, 2019
@QwerkyPengwen I meant $, in € it should stay below 2000, which with this setting is €1750 if i look for the cheapest suppliers of all parts available for me in Austria

@computerjoe314 what PSU would you recommend?
no didnt consider Ryzen. i thought it might be handy to have Thunderbolt 3 available, so far AMD has no license as i know.
it is overpowered i thought it might be good to have it last for a long time, but probably i am shooting too far and could go for a way cheaper solution

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
OK. So here are two builds.

one of them is much cheaper, but still offers the best bang for buck CPU and GPU.
You can overclock the CPU quite nicely with the cooler and motherboard provided, and you can of course overclock the GPU as well.

And although you won't initially use it for such, you can game at 1080p quite nicely with this setup.

I chose the monitor for the two reasons.
It has an IPS panel which is great for media consumption, and it also has freesync and high refresh rate so you can use it for gaming if you wanted to.
And also it's the second cheapest option I could find on PCPP, with the first cheapest being 1080p and only 30 euros cheaper, so I opted for the higher resolution.

The second build however, opts for a lesser GPU and a higher resolution monitor with no adaptive sync and no high refresh rate, making it more suited for content consumption, and less suited for gaming.

However, in regards to CPU, I realize you are wanting to build something within the next month, and as far as I'm aware, the new Ryzen 3000 series CPU's will be releasing next month, so I would advise to wait for those, and get one of them instead of the current 2000 series, along with a 500 series board and maybe even faster RAM.

Also you'll notice that I added a bunch of fans.
These fans are to populate the entire case.

The more of them you have, the lower speed you can run them and still get optimal airflow in the case.

The CPU cooler also was chosen because it operates well to keep things cool when overclocking, and is fairly quiet as well.

The 2x140mm fans go at the top of the case.
3x120mm go at the front.
1x120mm goes in the rear.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (€277.90 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€67.80 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (€135.95 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€93.84 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€59.80 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€66.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card (€135.80 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.17 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€103.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan (€8.89 @ Aquatuning)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 120 PWM 87 CFM 120 mm Fan (€8.89 @ Aquatuning)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 PWM 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan (€9.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Case Fan: be quiet! - Pure Wings 2 140 PWM 61.2 CFM 140 mm Fan (€9.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor: Acer - XF270HU 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (€429.00 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Custom: Thermaltake AC-023-AN1NAN-A1 Commander FP Hub for PWM Fans, Black (€14.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1520.03
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-20 18:25 CEST+0200

Here's build #2

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7 GHz 8-Core Processor (€277.90 @ Mindfactory)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (€67.80 @ Mindfactory)
Motherboard: Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (€135.95 @ Mindfactory)
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (€93.84 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive (€59.80 @ Mindfactory)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (€66.40 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Video Card: Gigabyte - Radeon RX 570 4 GB Gaming 4G Video Card (€135.80 @ Alza)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case (€79.17 @ Mindfactory)
Power Supply: SeaSonic - FOCUS Plus Gold 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€103.84 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Monitor: LG - 43UD79-B 42.5" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor (€552.97 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Custom: Thermaltake AC-023-AN1NAN-A1 Commander FP Hub for PWM Fans, Black (€14.99 @ Amazon Deutschland)
Total: €1644.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-20 18:22 CEST+0200

Last edited:

computerjoe314

Respectable
Jan 2, 2019
@QwerkyPengwen I meant $, in € it should stay below 2000, which with this setting is €1750 if i look for the cheapest suppliers of all parts available for me in Austria

@computerjoe314 what PSU would you recommend?
no didnt consider Ryzen. i thought it might be handy to have Thunderbolt 3 available, so far AMD has no license as i know.
it is overpowered i thought it might be good to have it last for a long time, but probably i am shooting too far and could go for a way cheaper solution
It's still very overpowered. Also, what's so appealing about thunderbolt?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
It's still very overpowered. Also, what's so appealing about thunderbolt?
overpowered now, but if you think about the long term..... and I mean LOOOONG term, cheaper overall to have this system now so that it's still plenty usable 10 years from now for the light tasks the user wants to do with it.

but yeah, I feel you.

Technically, all the user would need for the next 3-5 years until needing to upgrade a component would be half the cost of these builds.
Like $800 can get you quite a lot these days.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Oh. And dear OP, I forgot to add a BluRay drive to the build, sorry about that.

however, to add one to the builds I provided would require it to be an external player, not one that goes into a drive bay since the PC case I provided is too new for such things.

To get a drive bay would require to go to a cheaper and older style case that isn't really worth the money.
Especially since you want silence, and with older style cases like that, airflow isn't the most optimal, and thusly internal temps rise, and when internal temps rise, it's also because the components that have cooling on them are getting hotter, and when that happens, the fans ramp up and the system makes more noise.

So if you want quieter operation, you need better airflow to the system to keep things cool and the fans running at low RPMs.
And this means your choice of good cases results in none that offer drive bays for disc drives.

I'm not quite sure why you need to have a BluRay disc drive in your PC though.
Are you telling me that you don't have an HDTV of some kind?

If deciding to go with a 4K IPS monitor like the one I linked, you can always just hook up an external BluRay player to it if you wanted.
The monitor I chose has 4 HDMI inputs.
2 of them are 4K 60Hz, and the other two are 4K 30hz.
You would of course use the 60Hz input for PC, and the 30Hz input for something like a BluRay player.

And you just simply switch inputs on it like you would with a TV.

Can use it for you game consoles too, especially if you have something like a PS4 Pro or Xbox One X.

Apr 4, 2019
The Thunderbolt is just that i think in a few years alot of peripheral will be thunderbolt and i will probably regregt not having a system that works with it - especially if i buy an expensive pc

blu ray is not important as i never ever had to deal with a blu ray, but i have no tv - will only watch on the computer if i wanna watch anything, but i have old audio cds i wanna be able to listen to or rip and i have some dvds i wanna be able to watch.

but external drive is not a bad idea.

gaming is not an issue for me, i never played and am not interested in it, maybe oldskool dos games or some emulator - but that really doesnt require any high performance

my last pc built was in 2010 and actually it still runs - though im not using it cause im running all on my notebook. But my old PC didnt have USB 3 which came just shortly after my built, wouldnt want something similar happen with TB3
I like to build a device that lasts for long and is capable of everything i wanna do with it.

Also it should be able to handle simulations and calculations with environments like Matlab/octave. I will do some Data Analysis with R and Python. Probably working with CAD Software as well. I will do also some other programming but i dont think the other stuff will work hard on the resources.

And i want it to run stable and fast besides beeing silent. I definitely need a lot of Disk Space

Whats wrong about the Define R6 Case of Fractal Design?

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
The Thunderbolt is just that i think in a few years alot of peripheral will be thunderbolt and i will probably regregt not having a system that works with it - especially if i buy an expensive pc

blu ray is not important as i never ever had to deal with a blu ray, but i have no tv - will only watch on the computer if i wanna watch anything, but i have old audio cds i wanna be able to listen to or rip and i have some dvds i wanna be able to watch.

but external drive is not a bad idea.

gaming is not an issue for me, i never played and am not interested in it, maybe oldskool dos games or some emulator - but that really doesnt require any high performance

my last pc built was in 2010 and actually it still runs - though im not using it cause im running all on my notebook. But my old PC didnt have USB 3 which came just shortly after my built, wouldnt want something similar happen with TB3
I like to build a device that lasts for long and is capable of everything i wanna do with it.

Also it should be able to handle simulations and calculations with environments like Matlab/octave. I will do some Data Analysis with R and Python. Probably working with CAD Software as well. I will do also some other programming but i dont think the other stuff will work hard on the resources.

And i want it to run stable and fast besides beeing silent. I definitely need a lot of Disk Space

Whats wrong about the Define R6 Case of Fractal Design?

If and when TB3 becomes more mainstream and lots of devices use it as a connection type, you can simply get a PCIe adapter for it when that time comes.
But honestly, I don't see that really happening anytime soon.
Apple is more headstrong about thunderbolt, but with the newest Type C Gen 2 connections you get 10 Gbps and the motherboard already supports that.
As for TB3 support from AMD, they are saying they may add it with a BIOS update later on for the 3000 series CPU's.
But alternatively, with PCIe 4.0 as well as a new type of USB coming soon, TB3 may just become irrelevent.

But if they do add support through a BIOS and/or chipset update, then you can just get a PCIe adapter for it if it ends up taking off and becoming a more mainstream connectivity method for more standard use devices.
But I would say cross that bridge if and when you get to it.

As for the Define R6, you can honestly get whatever case you want, but it's hard to beat the Meshify C for both physical size and airflow for the price.
I chose that case because it has a smaller footprint and fits easier in places, and has an entire mesh front for maximum airflow to keep things cool, which as I already explained can help keep things quieter due to temps not causing something like the GPU or CPU cooler fans to ramp up.

Also, I personally own the case and can attest to its performance for airflow as well as it's size.
It fits on top of my desk quite nicely, and has the tempered side glass panel to show off the stuff inside.
Especially if you wanted to outfit it with some RGB lighting strips and maybe swap out the RAM for RGB RAM instead.

The fans I chose can offer good airflow and they run fairly silent, and with the case I chose, they wouldn't have to run as fast to push more air resulting in more definite silence, along with the CPU cooler running fairly quiet as well while keeping the CPU cool.
Specifically when overclocking the CPU, which will result in more performance from it.

External drive would be the best option.
And since it would be something that connects via USB, you can of course put it away somewhere and only pull it out in those moments where you wanted to put a disc in and read/rip it's contents.

Here's a quality DVD/CD drive.

Reactions: pansenbert
Apr 4, 2019
thanks so far for all the information

Hmm that makes totally sense with the TB3, i am probably too focused on that.

I will consider the meshify case, i like it anyway and the better airflow is a very reasonable argument also its cheaper. I also really like the idea of the external DVD Drive

The Window is nice but not important, i dont like the RGB stuff, i dont want to have such lights in my living room and if so i will built myself one independent of the computer. The computer should look simple and clean and dont emmit lights (on my last i deactivated the power led as it annoyed me)

Only thing is, so far it looks that the new X570 Motherboards will be pretty expensive and the chipset will most probably have active cooling which could be pretty loud - thus if it has good airflow it might not work often.
i never really seriously considered amd so i dindt look through the motherboards for these, but its an appealing idea especially with the new features coming out next months - probably will be something that lasts pretty long

and probably it really makes sense to spend half the money and buy something new if it really lacks for the new technologies, i just wanna avoid consuming new devices if not really necessary

im really not in a hurry with busying it but within the summer id be happy to have it - as i have some work abroad during july it makes no sense to buy before august anyhow... just my surface pro annoys me because its definitely not capable of my needs