[SOLVED] Building a Retro PC: Online Security?

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
I have tons of old games and other apps laying around, and have been wanting to build a (somewhat) retro PC. Possibly Vista/XP era. But online security would be an issue due to the fact that those OSs are no longer supported by MS. Is there a work-around? Possibly a 3rd party Anti-Virus/Malware program that would work on the OS and still be adequately secure? Or should I just stay with the pre-internet era and compute in a bubble, as we used to say?

I doubt I'd have anything on this machine that would be sensitive, but I wouldn't want someone to have access to my other machines and NAS on the same network via this old PC.

Solution
Compute in a bubble would be my suggestion. Even if you did manage to shoehorn an antivirus from today, you'd be bogged down with the antivirus hogging much of your resources.

Mind sharing the specs to your proposed retro build?

Lutfij

Titan
Compute in a bubble would be my suggestion. Even if you did manage to shoehorn an antivirus from today, you'd be bogged down with the antivirus hogging much of your resources.

Solution

box o rocks

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012

Thank you. Point taken.
I haven't decided on the exact specs yet, but I have an old Asus P5GC-MX motherboard in storage along with a Pentium 4 640 that I could use. I have the DDR2 RAM, and I have a working PATA optical drive, and a couple old GPUs from that era.
But I'd like to go back further, so I might keep looking for an older platform. Still a thought project.