building a rig for entertainment

ppv

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2008
I'll need some suggestion since i'm going to help my friend to build a system which he plans to use for entertainment (not so much gaming)...budget ain't a problem..
is there a difference with a mid-range display card to the top notch one for videos? ( e.g the gts 250 ~ gtx 295, or the ati's) cuz for gaming we can see the diference in the FPS and reso.. etc... so i hv no clue if it will hv a difference in videos as well..
cpu... his planning to buy a i7 920... is it worth? (i've read reviews which they say the i7 is a future proof cpu.. so this might be good for him)
mobo, asus one.. (pls tell me a good one in case if he wants to buy an i7..
psu his planning to buy a 900W..... i dun think he needs that much horsepower since is not a gaming rig..
3x2GB DDR3
planning to use windows7..
btw he already owns the fatality titanium already...
i personally think that his spending too much on his rig..
anyways any suggestions would be appreciated
:)

astrodudepsu

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
he is spending too much money.

if he is just watching videos even a GTS250 is overkill. Get something like a ATI 4670, no reason to involved 6/8pin power connectors.

If he wants an i7 that's his choice. But for less money he could build a solid AM3 AMD build based off something like the P2 720 Triple Core.

And yes 900W psu is SUPER FREAKING OVERKILL. On a system like this 400W would suffice.