[SOLVED] Building a SFF for Work/Travel

Sep 29, 2021
The goal is to build a SFF for remote work in Revit, easy to bring on a plane, and doesn't break my bank. I decided that I will take the GTX1080 from my current PC and build a Sliger SM550. I can save about $140 by buying a Asus Z490 vs Asus Z590. From my research, I don't think the Z590 is going to provide a significant benefit for me, or is there something that i'm missing? My build is below:

Sliger SM550 with 2 Noctua case fans
Asus Z490-I ROG STRIX
Intel i7-11700k
Noctua NH-LIi Low profile CPU Cooler
Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB M.2
Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 2x16GB
Corsair SF600

Thanks!

Solution
I would do the NR200p, and use an AIO. The 11700k, simply put, is not a very good chip.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n0_UcBxnpk

I would personally do something more like this.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($393.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($88.01 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ B&H)
Total: $861.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by...

Lutfij

Titan
That case is nice but it is expensive for the size of the case. You could take a look at the Coolermaster N200P if you're looking for something more affordable. As for the build listed above, I'd pick a Z590 board when going with an 11th gen processor for the sake of reliability. With rams, pick DDR4-3600MHz at the very least or somewhere around 4000MHz. On second thoughts, if you're looking for mobility, you could just get a workstation pedigree laptop for the sake of greater mobility. Also, GPU...?

Sep 29, 2021
That case is nice but it is expensive for the size of the case. You could take a look at the Coolermaster N200P if you're looking for something more affordable. As for the build listed above, I'd pick a Z590 board when going with an 11th gen processor for the sake of reliability. With rams, pick DDR4-3600MHz at the very least or somewhere around 4000MHz. On second thoughts, if you're looking for mobility, you could just get a workstation pedigree laptop for the sake of greater mobility. Also, GPU...?

I bought Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3200 2x16gb but im going to return it for the Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-3600 C18. I found a better price on amazon anyway.

I'm using the GTX1080 from my old pc because its fine for my work and i'll sell my old pc without the gpu.

Also i'm set on the sliger case because its made in USA and I like the design.

Sep 29, 2021
An 11700k is too hot of a chip, for a SFF system, such as this will be. Honestly you would be better off with an 11400, or an R5 5600x, thermals wise. Even a 5800x is probably too hot, for such a build, though not as bad as the 11700k.

I saw that the documentation for the noctua fan says it can run the i7-11700k but limited turbo boost. Do you think it's a smarter idea to go for the coolermaster nr200p case and use that saved money for liquid cooling? The real penalty would be a larger case, but I think would still fit a carry on bag ok..

logainofhades

Titan
I would do the NR200p, and use an AIO. The 11700k, simply put, is not a very good chip.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 240 56.3 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($88.01 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory ($169.99 @ B&H)
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-04 15:13 EDT-0400

If you insist on Intel, save some cash and get the 10700k, or spend $20 more and get a 10850k. On Price/performance alone, the 11700k is a terrible buy.

Reactions: helper800
Solution

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
To be fair, as a travel rig, I would probably consider something 6th gen plus, prebuilt from the Dell (or similar) business class of SFF/micro PC. You could buy a used one pretty cheap as they don't support the gaming market in that form factor. Swap in solid state drives and boom, you have something you could buy two of cheaper than the above and beat up in a suitcase.

Sep 29, 2021

PCPartPicker Part List

Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-10-04 15:13 EDT-0400

If you insist on Intel, save some cash and get the 10700k, or spend $20 more and get a 10850k. On Price/performance alone, the 11700k is a terrible buy.

I will follow your suggestion on the NR200P with the liquid cooler and memory. I am just skeptical on the amd vs intel because www.userbenchmark.com shows the i7-11700k has better single core performance which is the most important for using Autodesk Revit. I will continue to do research.

And for a monitor what are you going to use?

I'm going to bring my 4k 28" monitor by Samsung and some cheap Dell monitor from my job. Maybe 1 day i'll try a curved monitor

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I am just skeptical on the amd vs intel because www.userbenchmark.com shows the i7-11700k has better single core performance
Do not use UBM for AMD Vs Intel comparisons, as they are actually biased towards Intel.

I figure they'll do the same thing once Intel's gpus launch too - try to make them look better than both Nvidia and AMD options.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
And for a monitor what are you going to use?

I see that the OP has already replied about bringing along monitors.

In my own travel situation I have found that most of the better chains have monitors that are easy to connect or stream to. I generally take a laptop with me, but also bring a couple of video cables along with and have used their monitor as a second and/or larger. Don't know if a laptop would offer the horsepower the OP is looking for.

Sep 29, 2021
I see that the OP has already replied about bringing along monitors.

In my own travel situation I have found that most of the better chains have monitors that are easy to connect or stream to. I generally take a laptop with me, but also bring a couple of video cables along with and have used their monitor as a second and/or larger. Don't know if a laptop would offer the horsepower the OP is looking for.

I should also mention that i'm going to live in Rio de Janeiro for 6 months.. so everything needs to be inexpensive. I dont want to go bankrupt if someone decides to help themselves to my workstation and my mouintain bike while im out..

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I should also mention that i'm going to live in Rio de Janeiro for 6 months.. so everything needs to be inexpensive. I dont want to go bankrupt if someone decides to help themselves to my workstation and my mouintain bike while im out..

I note that the program you asked about has been around a long time. Would probably weigh it's minimum requirements against your time (base that on whether you are hourly) and try to find a laptop that will fit the bill and is cheap enough to replace. On the beni side, if you DO get a SFF PC type build many of the Enterprise options have ways to cable lock them....

Sep 29, 2021
I note that the program you asked about has been around a long time. Would probably weigh it's minimum requirements against your time (base that on whether you are hourly) and try to find a laptop that will fit the bill and is cheap enough to replace. On the beni side, if you DO get a SFF PC type build many of the Enterprise options have ways to cable lock them....

im thinking about using my bicycle locks to lock my pc and bike to the concrete walls lol. Shouldnt be too hard to modify the case with something

Sep 29, 2021
Why is a Laptop not an option?

I wouldn't take a liquid cooled thing on multiple trips by air.

I don’t work mobile and don’t need a laptop. I been moving between Brazil and USA and bringing my jobs desktop, but it’s painfully slow. And my gaming desktop is too big. I figured it’s a good time to do some upgrades and a smaller desktop since I move a lot.
I went to the store and started building the pc.
As suggested earlier,
Gigabyte b550i
Amd ryzen 7 5800x
G.skill ripjaws ddr4-4000 c18 2x16gb
Samsung 970 evo plus 1TB
Corsair sf600
240mm aio cooler
Coolermaster nr200p case
Thanks for the suggestions!

logainofhades

Titan
Sep 29, 2021
The computer was working good until this morning. I had unplugged the PC for 1 hour, plugged it in, and turned on the PC.. No signal to the monitors so I checked the cable connections. My mistake, I had put the hdmi+dvi cables into the MB. Then I switched them to the GPU. Strange.. Still it didn't display. Reset the RAM sticks - nothing. I tried an old GPU laying around - nothing. Reset the BIOS by touching the 2 pins on the MB as per the manual - nothing.

I let the computer sit for 8 hours and went to update the BIOS, but thought to try the PC again before doing the update. Now it works! Idk what to do now.. Should I try updating the bios?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS