Question Building a Small Backup Server

ijoin

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
Hi,
I want to build backup server for my small office

So, every employee's PC will be backed up to the server real time (just like drop box or GDrive, every time you make a change, it will be synced to the server and you can restore the older untouched version), also only the user can access the file

Is this a good approach? Since we frequently lose data because of virus and malware, hardware malfunction etc (We lose 6 years of customer's data just because 3 separated pc, storing the data, broken down in the same time)

So far, there are 18 PCs need to be backed up with approximately 50-100 GB of data each PC, total is 1.5 TB

I already owned :
  1. Dell PowerEdge T30 intel Xeon E3 1225/8Gb RAM
  2. 4 x WDC 2TB HDD Red and can be expanded more

I also want to RAID the HDDs, so 2 main HDD dan 2 RAID HDD
And maybe some offsite backup, maybe we can just use external hdd for additional backup

So anyone have the idea how to make this work?
Will FreeNas be sufficient and fulfill my requirements?
Or maybe using something like Owncloud?
Thanks
Hi,
I want to build backup server for my small office

So, every employee's PC will be backed up to the server real time (just like drop box or GDrive, every time you make a change, it will be synced to the server and you can restore the older untouched version), also only the user can access the file

Is this a good approach? Since we frequently lose data because of virus and malware, hardware malfunction etc (We lose 6 years of customer's data just because 3 separated pc, storing the data, broken down in the same time)

So far, there are 18 PCs need to be backed up with approximately 50-100 GB of data each PC, total is 1.5 TB

I already owned :
  1. Dell PowerEdge T30 intel Xeon E3 1225/8Gb RAM
  2. 4 x WDC 2TB HDD Red and can be expanded more

I also want to RAID the HDDs, so 2 main HDD dan 2 RAID HDD
And maybe some offsite backup, maybe we can just use external hdd for additional backup

So anyone have the idea how to make this work?
Will FreeNas be sufficient and fulfill my requirements?
Or maybe using something like Owncloud?
Thanks

kanewolf

Titan
Real time backup is not optimal, IMO. If the files are important, then put them on shared storage instead of local. If they are really important then you should have a version control system to keep multiple versions of the files.
A NAS, as recommended by @SgtScream can provide managed RAID protected (with managed backups) centralized storage. That is a better implementation than local storage with real-time backups, IMO.

ijoin

Distinguished
May 3, 2014
I would just get a nas device like synology, then periodically back that up to a large external drive. But that's only if you really have a small office.
Yeah, some people say that Synology is good NAS
Can Synology support auto backup from client to NAS?
I googled it and found it was supported

Real time backup is not optimal, IMO. If the files are important, then put them on shared storage instead of local. If they are really important then you should have a version control system to keep multiple versions of the files.
A NAS, as recommended by @SgtScream can provide managed RAID protected (with managed backups) centralized storage. That is a better implementation than local storage with real-time backups, IMO.
Yeah, I need versioning for restoring lost or altered files
I am trying to learn more about Synology now

That is another thing you need to fix.

And a realtime RAID or similar will NOT proof against this. That just means it happens on two physical drives at the same time.
You need a much more comprehensive solution.
Yes, the work ethic in this office is really poor, mainly about the IT things

Can you explain the much more comprehensive solution?
Maybe just some spoiler ;)

Yeah, some people say that Synology is good NAS
Can Synology support auto backup from client to NAS?
I googled it and found it was supported

Yeah, I need versioning for restoring lost or altered files
I am trying to learn more about Synology now

Yes, the work ethic in this office is really poor, mainly about the IT things

Can you explain the much more comprehensive solution?
Maybe just some spoiler ;)
All it is, is making user shares on the Nas. locking it down with permissions and configuring windows to map their documents to that location. Create a secondary backup off the nas in case your data gets compromised via data encryption so you can restore from a secondary back up and work on security practices to mitigate that from happening.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts