Building a system around the new AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Video playback - that's easy - any $50+ graphic card can handle it well these days. Even older cards like the 8400GS or the HD 3450 have support for HD too. You really don't need to worry about that part at all, with any gaming card.

Minimum fps: it depends on the game type. I played Diablo 2 at 25 fps for years and didn't have a problem. The fps mostly matters when you're playing shooter games (Crysis, Call of Duty, etc.). And of course it depends on who you ask. I could live with 30 fps, but others will say 40 or even 50.

Wikipedia has a neat article about it, but it doesn't go into much detail:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frame_rate

elitewolverine

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
here is a 955 system for under $600....it doesnt have a OS, but i think you could find a way to get it (legally), without much burden...

sure there is no video card, but in a few you can save up, the onboard video will handle all but the high-end games and settings...

you can have a 940 system for about 40 cheaper, so not much gain to go that route, if you want more help i can try, i love building budget systems (even though your in another country research is no big deal for me)

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/MySavedWishDetail.aspx?ID=9946705

morbius1

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks for your input, but I can't see the 955 system you referred to.

Just wondering how you could possibly help me to find the best deals for me to purchase my selected components in Hong Kong (unless you happen to be there too...), but don't worry too much about that... :D

coolgod

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
go to hk 电脑城( you better be able to read that)
you will find lots of great deals
their prices are generally the same.
Compare a few stores. ( or do it for the whole day) then buy the materials.
Generally it is better to buy it from the same shop since they will most likely build it and test it out for you.
Just in case the item is 水貨

morbius1

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

aevm, I still have a question for you, if you get to read this: how do I measure the fps value of a game on my system? Do I need any software tool? You may find my question naive, but I just do not know... (am a little green on all that, but I learned a lot reading all your comments...)

heydan

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
Hi, this is my recommendation:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE
MoBo: Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
GPU: ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB
Case: Cooler Master Centurion 534 + Plus
RAM: 2 x 2GB Kingston 1300 MHZ
Power Supply: Cooler Master Real Power Pro 850w

The other pieces could be what you want, and de case and the power supply will help you to upgrade your system on the future.