building a university lot?

hi Everyone
I would like to build a Dorm on my university lot from Scratch, I have not
done it before, When you choose the empty lot to place do I make it
residential or Community?
Thanks

I don't think it matters but after you're done building it you'll have to
change it using a cheat so it will be recognized as a dorm.

Ctrl+shift+c changelotzoning dorm

I'd recommend starting as residential, otherwise you don't get any beds in
buy mode.

Best wishes
Maxon

"kh" <kindheart01@excite.com> wrote in message
> I don't think it matters but after you're done building it you'll have to
> change it using a cheat so it will be recognized as a dorm.
>
> Ctrl+shift+c changelotzoning dorm

Good point. I hadn't thought of that. It would be nice to let those poor
sims sleep. *smile*

"kh" <kindheart01@excite.com> wrote:

>I don't think it matters but after you're done building it you'll have to
>change it using a cheat so it will be recognized as a dorm.

>Ctrl+shift+c changelotzoning dorm

(1) Remember that cheats in The Sims 2 are case sensitive; that should
be 'changeLotZoning'.

(2) It does matter; recall that University students get bills (in the
mail) every so often - you need to have a mailbox, which means that you
need to start out residential. Since you don't need a pay phone (you
can use the standard residential phones and/or cell phones), starting
with a Community lot offers no advantage. If there's anything from
Community lot buy mode that you need (you may want the community lot
grill, for example), do changeLotZoning community, save, exit the lot,
re-enter the lot, and you'll have access to those items. Once you have
the would-be dorm set up the way you like it, do changeLotZoning dorm
and then save and exit.

* * *

As a side note, if you're going to build a community lot that is going
to have what would normally be residential-only objects - for example,
beds at a YSRA (Young Sims Religious Association) - start with a
commercial lot so that you get the pay phone. You *can* start with a
residential lot, re-zone, and then add a pay phone, but if you forget to
add the phone, and start playing, your Sims are not going to have any
way to get OFF the lot, even if they own a cell phone. (Trust me on
this. I did it.)

Even if you abort (quit without saving) and correct the oversight,
there's still funniness; with an added pay phone but no original pay
phone, you can call the cab on the pay phone, but not on a cell phone -
whereas if there's an original pay phone (i.e., started with a
commercial lot), your Sim's cell phone will allow you to call a taxi.

* * *

(I really need to rethink the one dorm I've done - it's very nice,
BUT... sixty-odd students capacity, and so much stuff to do right on the
lot that there's no reason other than shopping (or class) to go off the
lot.)

--
Jeff Zeitlin
jzeitlin@cyburban.com

Jeff Zeitlin wrote:

> (2) It does matter; recall that University students get bills
> (in the
> mail) every so often - you need to have a mailbox, which means
> that
> you need to start out residential.

My first student got bills - but none of the latter. It didn't
seem to matter.

T.

TRENDING THREADS