Building a WinXP machine

Dec 13, 2018
Hi, I'm building a semi cheap Windows XP machine for some old games, nostalgia and just to have it I guess :D

Here's a part list of what parts I'm thinking of using: https://de.pcpartpicker.com/user/Turttrise/saved/nbfzYJ
I know GTX 680 is overkill for this but I can take it from my old pc I'm not using instead of having to buy an era fitting card.

The amount I'd need to pay for the whole build is 266.56€ since I have buch of parts ready.
I've tried looking around ebay and local online marketplaces for the old parts as cheap as possible.
My budget is 300€ and tbh I'd rather keep it even lower.

Anyway opinions about the build? Are the components good, should I change something? Any places where to find them even cheaper?

The major problem you will have with this build is finding drivers for the devices. The driver architecture changed significantly between XP and Vista so newer drivers will not work with the XP devices and vice versa. You may have to purchase some old hardware just to get the drivers. BTW, do NOT buy any hardware that does not have XP compatible drivers included.

Dec 13, 2018

For the pcie cards I've checked to make sure they are XP compatible and I think I checked that there's XP driver for GTX 680

If your doing this just for fun ok,but any game for XP runs on newer windows and the few that don't have patches so they do run,and even if they don't have a patch you will be able to run them on XP mode under windows 7,you don't have to make a build for XP unless you really just want to do it for fun.
(And then have it stare at you from it's corner trying to make you feel guilty for not playing with it. )

Dec 13, 2018

I know it's possible to play the games on current hardware but personally I like building PCs and having stuff like that physically be there. Idk it just has different feeling to it :D