Building a workstation and gaming rig

Nov 17, 2018
Hello, I'm currently working on building a new rig for myself. I'm going to be using it pretty equally for content creation (Adobe programs, 3D rendering, and maybe even some coding) and for gaming (AAA games, VR, sandbox, and some other smaller games).

I kind of want this to be a power house in both aspects but will probably lean towards workstation task since that's how I pay the bills. I'm leaning towards a threadripper cpu because I really like Ryzens performance for workstation tasks, but am worried about its ability to perform with games since most games tend to perform better with fewer cores and higher clock speeds.

The other route I could go is either an i7 8700k or the i9 9900k. (I know I'm unfortunately fueling the AMD vs Intel debate but here we are). This would either be running with gtx 10 series cards 2 way sli or an rtx 2080 Ti.

I'm looking for opinions purely on performance and not really cost effectiveness. I'm willing to spend some extra cash on this considering this is going to my main pc that I work on and it's also a bit of an enthusiast build. Any and all opinions are very much appreciated. Thank you.

Edit: I forgot to include, I will be working with hi res workloads as well. And while I probably won't be playing in 4k all the time (probably mostly at 1440p) I would like to be able to occasionally play smoothly in 4k just for that warm fuzzy feeling.

Nov 17, 2018
Like I said, I'm willing to spend a good bit of money on this build, so if it gets up to over $3000 I'm fine with that. I'm looking for raw performance comparison overall and not really cost effectiveness.