Building a Workstation PC

LordBaino

Commendable
Feb 21, 2016
I'm trying to build my dad a workstation PC. His main requirements are for it to be very fast (quick boot times, no lag, etc.). It doesn't need a GPU (but a very good CPU to compensate) because there's not going to be any gaming (although I'm trying to convince him to play Portal). What parts would you guys recommend?

Solution
If you go Intel then you can use the dual cores or i3's of the latest Skylake architecture http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G4400+%40+3.30GHz.
For an AMD build an FM2+ 6 core would be best because of the integrated graphics.
Any budget MB that supports the CPU is fine. I would prefer ASUS or ASrock.
Minimum of 8 GB RAM, Recommended 8 GB RAM, Maximum 8 GB RAM. You don't need more. You can't have good response times with less.
SSD for fast boot but a traditional HDD with 7200 rpm works well on Windows 8.1 or 10. A 7200 HDD will boot Windows 8.1 in ~on newer systems and ~30 seconds on older systems.
Warning: Windows 7 doesn't boot fast even on SSD.
Hope this helps.

Andrei N

Honorable
Feb 22, 2016
If you go Intel then you can use the dual cores or i3's of the latest Skylake architecture http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Pentium+G4400+%40+3.30GHz.
For an AMD build an FM2+ 6 core would be best because of the integrated graphics.
Any budget MB that supports the CPU is fine. I would prefer ASUS or ASrock.
Minimum of 8 GB RAM, Recommended 8 GB RAM, Maximum 8 GB RAM. You don't need more. You can't have good response times with less.
SSD for fast boot but a traditional HDD with 7200 rpm works well on Windows 8.1 or 10. A 7200 HDD will boot Windows 8.1 in ~on newer systems and ~30 seconds on older systems.
Warning: Windows 7 doesn't boot fast even on SSD.
Hope this helps.

Solution

Workstations are usually considerably more robust than that. I'd be starting with a hexacore CPU and wondering if ECC were necessary. That's where I think a workstation start, but we need to hear from the OP about what they think.