[SOLVED] Building affordable AMD4 based small factor PC for 3D modellimg

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Looking to build affordable AMD4 system for 3D modelling and visualisation work.
I have tight budget for I don't want to blow my bank.

I think I already settled for Ryzen 5 2600x and RTX2060. My main goal is to build small factor PC that can be mobile at the same time too. I am not sure if I will OC or need to do so but need rather stable MoBo for around £80-£120.
Any advice from your own experience?
I've red my chosen CPU and GCa won't produce a bottleneck too.

Other thing is relevantly silent graphic card which I've heard some are more than others. Would you recommend one too for this purpose?

Storage will most likely be Nvme m.2 for the reason to have it on board and save some space. They are cheap these days. 500gb will do.

Thanks

Solution
Considering your intent to build a mobile sff-workstation with a small footprint I personally would decide on the case first, because it will dictate you dimensions for psu, cpu cooler, gpu etc. In addition you will see that small itx cases for full pc-systems is a niche market where a lot of absolutely gorgeous and effective cases are manufactured by small start-up companies in low quantities and with a higher price tag.

I love itx systems and just a couple of months ago build my custom watercooled gaming-rig in the famous NCase M1 v6. Although this case can house up to 130mm air coolers, normal sized 2,5 slot gpus and internal sfx psus in just under 13 litres the build took me a lot of research. But the result is super clean, silent...

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Considering your intent to build a mobile sff-workstation with a small footprint I personally would decide on the case first, because it will dictate you dimensions for psu, cpu cooler, gpu etc. In addition you will see that small itx cases for full pc-systems is a niche market where a lot of absolutely gorgeous and effective cases are manufactured by small start-up companies in low quantities and with a higher price tag.

I love itx systems and just a couple of months ago build my custom watercooled gaming-rig in the famous NCase M1 v6. Although this case can house up to 130mm air coolers, normal sized 2,5 slot gpus and internal sfx psus in just under 13 litres the build took me a lot of research. But the result is super clean, silent and looks stunning on my desk.

Cases to check out:
Fractal Node 202
NCase M1
Velkra 3
Dan A4
Silverstone Sugo series
Sliger SM550

Also take a look at these websites/communities:
www.sfflabs.com
www.smallformfactor.net

Last edited:
Solution

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014

I love itx systems and just a couple of months ago build my custom watercooled gaming-rig in the famous NCase M1 v6. Although this case can house up to 130mm air coolers, normal sized 2,5 slot gpus and internal sfx psus in just under 13 litres the build took me a lot of research. But the result is super clean, silent and looks stunning on my desk.

Cases to check out:
Fractal Node 202
NCase M1
Velkra 3
Dan A4
Silverstone Sugo series
Sliger SM550

Also take a look at these websites/communities:
www.sfflabs.com
www.smallformfactor.net

Thanks for sharing your ideas.

Casewise most likely this one
SilverStone SST-SG13WB . https://www.amazon.co.uk/SilverSton...e+SG13&qid=1577644450&s=computers&sr=1-2&th=1

I ma looking to spend no mroe than £50 for the case. Seems like most of your suggestions are out of my budget. SG13 is quite nice. I will also do my paint job and other tweaks to suit my taste. Already like it :)

What PSU would you recommend for this case?

Many thanks!

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/afzhpa/sg13_build_rtx_20702600x/

There are several build logs on reddit. So maybe a lot of questions to specific hardware are answered there. The psu question is hotly debated there. It fits an atx psu, but an sfx unit will increase the cpu cooler clearance. You will need an atx to sfx bracket in that case. Another positive for the sfx units like the corsair sf600 are shorter cables with less clutter.

Gpu clearance is another topic. The manual states 270x129 so you want a shorter and slimmer model. For the cpu cooler the height is restricted to 55 mm that leaves the cryorig copper c7 with a noctua fan modded as your best air option.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
View: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/afzhpa/sg13_build_rtx_20702600x/

There are several build logs on reddit. So maybe a lot of questions to specific hardware are answered there. The psu question is hotly debated there. It fits an atx psu, but an sfx unit will increase the cpu cooler clearance. You will need an atx to sfx bracket in that case. Another positive for the sfx units like the corsair sf600 are shorter cables with less clutter.

Gpu clearance is another topic. The manual states 270x129 so you want a shorter and slimmer model. For the cpu cooler the height is restricted to 55 mm that leaves the cryorig copper c7 with a noctua fan modded as your best air option.

Nice share! Thanks. I have calculated Wattage usage . It's around 530w if Ryzen 2600x and 480W if Ryzen 3600 used. I guess I should be safe with 650W.

RTX 2060c card fits perfectly fine. In the reference link he used RTX 2070 which is about the same dimension.

Will look into PSU later and any fans that required.

Overall sweet case .

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Indeed, but you get 20% better performance on average in 3D rendering and a bit less power consumption and thus, less heat - priceless in a small form factor build, especially with a dedicated GPU next to it.

That is true , power consumption is down and power up. Future proof too. I will see how I do with money and if budget allows I will most likely opt for 3600 :) Thanks!

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=0XWWPXgyOFE

This might be interesting too. The guy is the go-to-youtuber for sff builds.
I would love to fit that Noctua 12s 120mm fan for sure. I fear my budget is slowly but steady getting bigger and bigger. I think for now if my case allows I would use stock cooler and no OC.

The thing is PSU is quiet expensive for this size case. Having said that it's fun to look for solutions.

I think i have to make case layout measure all parts and do virtual assembly.

I've red modular PSU gives flexibility for a fine cable management. I wonder if semi modular do the same?

Cheers

I would love to fit that Noctua 12s 120mm fan for sure. I fear my budget is slowly but steady getting bigger and bigger. I think for now if my case allows I would use stock cooler and no OC.

The thing is PSU is quiet expensive for this size case. Having said that it's fun to look for solutions.

I think i have to make case layout measure all parts and do virtual assembly.

I've red modular PSU gives flexibility for a fine cable management. I wonder if semi modular do the same?

Cheers
Semi modular often means that the cables you are most likely to use (like the 24-pin ATX connector) can't be removed.
If you really are looking for something compact, look into flex ATX. But then your biggest problem will be the GPU.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Semi modular often means that the cables you are most likely to use (like the 24-pin ATX connector) can't be removed.
If you really are looking for something compact, look into flex ATX. But then your biggest problem will be the GPU.
I would like to fit 550W ATX PSU. I hope I would have enough clearance in between stock Ryzen 3600 cooler and the PSU ( around 85mm height). As far as I know 3600 temperatures are quiet fine and I don't intend to OC. I found already right size GPU that fits perfectly fine.

Looking forward to use PSU as exhaust. Maybe add one 120mm fan mounted on the front ( mesh SG13 variant) for intake and another 92mm on the right side of the case as exhaust. Still have to do research and find info to suits my plan though. Any insight is welcome .

"But then your biggest problem will be the GPU." What did you mean?

Edit: I found super Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU. 10 year warranty and decent performance is very tempting.

Thanks

Last edited:
I would like to fit 550W ATX PSU. I hope I would have enough clearance in between stock Ryzen 3600 cooler and the PSU ( around 85mm height). As far as I know 3600 temperatures are quiet fine and I don't intend to OC. I found already right size GPU that fits perfectly fine.

Looking forward to use PSU as exhaust. Maybe add one 120mm fan mounted on the front ( mesh SG13 variant) for intake and another 92mm on the right side of the case as exhaust. Still have to do research and find info to suits my plan though. Any insight is welcome .

"But then your biggest problem will be the GPU." What did you mean?

Edit: I found super Corsair SF600 Platinum PSU. 10 warranty and decent performance is very tempting.

Thanks
I mean that your GPU will be the part using up the most power, making using a Flex ATX PSU not possible if you go above 100W on it.
Also note that almost all ATX PSUs are "pull" ones. I personally HATE Corsair PSUs, having had a dozen of them frying on me after 6 months, usually taking the mobo down with them. I prefer FSP ones.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I mean that your GPU will be the part using up the most power, making using a Flex ATX PSU not possible if you go above 100W on it.
Also note that almost all ATX PSUs are "pull" ones. I personally HATE Corsair PSUs, having had a dozen of them frying on me after 6 months, usually taking the mobo down with them. I prefer FSP ones.
I think overall the corsair SF units have a good reputation. I can just say that a lot of people use them in itx gaming rigs and I had read very few complaints. Got a SF600 myself for what its worth.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
Maybe the cheaper one's cause the trouble . This one is Platinum product. I don't think there should be a problem with this particular model. Tomshardware also gave a very good score for this model. I also have plenty of headroom considering my system power draw is around 500W

Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler
Corsair SF 600 Platinum
RTX 2060 Super
Noctua NF-F12 PWM Front Intake
90mm Noctua Fan Exhaust on the side
500 SSD m.2
2x 8GB RAM
Not decided on MoBO yet

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Maybe the cheaper one's cause the trouble . This one is Platinum product. I don't think there should be a problem with this particular model. Tomshardware also gave a very good score for this model. I also have plenty of headroom considering my system power draw is around 500W

Ryzen 5 3600 stock cooler
Corsair SF 600 Platinum
RTX 2060 Super
Noctua NF-F12 PWM Front Intake
90mm Noctua Fan Exhaust on the side
500 SSD m.2
2x 8GB RAM
Not decided on MoBO yet
You will never ever reach 500W powerdraw with that system. 300W more likely. For the mobo I would go with a B450. Either MSI B450-i gaming or Asus B450-i Strix. I personally got the latter.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
You will never ever reach 500W powerdraw with that system. 300W more likely. For the mobo I would go with a B450. Either MSI B450-i gaming or Asus B450-i Strix. I personally got the latter.
I got it wrong. Rechecked it on few website it is up to 350w. I think I can g of or a 450W PSU or 500W save a bit of money and pick up a better MoBO. Asus B450-i Strix seems like one of them although not a cheap!

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
The MSI mobo is really good and a tad cheaper I think. I just needed more fan headers for my loop. I personally would stick to that 600w unit. It runs more efficient under like 40-60% load and you got some headroom in the future.

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
The MSI mobo is really good and a tad cheaper I think. I just needed more fan headers for my loop. I personally would stick to that 600w unit. It runs more efficient under like 40-60% load and you got some headroom in the future.

I'd rather have this MoBo and slightly reduce budget on PSU. By the way what RAM and at what frequency are you using? I am thinking of 32RAM. I need decent RAM without blowing the budget.

I've read bad stuff on AM4 motherboards from both makers, so personally I'd go with the ASRock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming-ITX_ac : cheaper, good stuff, and I've had no problem with any ASRock stuff I've bought these past few years.

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
For RAM I am personally a fan of the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT. I run 2x16gb and it is high quality RAM for only a few bucks more than a dirt cheap kit. The hitch is that you only get a 3000mhz docp profile, so to get the most out of it you want to overclock it manually.

Reactions: tomachas

tomachas

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2014
For RAM I am personally a fan of the Crucial Ballistix Sport LT. I run 2x16gb and it is high quality RAM for only a few bucks more than a dirt cheap kit. The hitch is that you only get a 3000mhz docp profile, so to get the most out of it you want to overclock it manually.
Any particle RAM height to avoid interfering with CPU cooler?