Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Does anyone see a problem with this system build:
Motherboard: ASUS M4A79-T Deluxe
CPU: Phenom II X3 720
RAM: G.Skill DDR3 1333Mhz 2x2Gb
PSU: Thermaltake W0116RU 750W Modular
Graphics Card: SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB GDDR5
HDD's: 2xSeagate Barracuda 500Gb 32Mb Cache in RAID 0 (Striping) + 1xWD VelociRaptor 36Gb 16Mb Cache for OS.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

First off, RickRoll'd doesn't work against a Firefox browser with NoScript installed. Too bad. Plus it shows the link in the status bar before you click on it.
And the reason I went with the Thermaltake was for the modular ability.

The case and HDD's (CD/DVD Drive too) are being transferred over from a previous build.
Sunbeam Transformer Case if you're curious.

I've used the transformer before. It's loud and heavy, but extremely roomy. For a while it came with the powertek psu, I really hope you don't still have that. I made the mistake of trying it, and it blew up, so did the RMA'd replacement.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008

Yeah, it can be kinda loud, especially with as many fans as I have, but I also have music going most of the time, so I don't notice it much.
And no, I've been using a Corsair 750W. Switching to the Thermaltake because of the modular ability (cords are everywhere currently) and the Corsair 1000W is just too expensive. I've seen good results with Thermaltake's products in the past too, especially their PSU's.

I'll have to check out that article on AM3 and DDR3. I want the DDR3 because of the faster memory speed, and the AM3 because of it's ability to support it.

Mrbumbum

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

Is there any room behind your current case's motherboard tray to run the wires? Depending on what your building this system for the $140 could be used for other components to better performance, like a better gpu if your building it for games. It seems like a waste to get another 750watt powersupply when you already have a Corsair 750tx. Yeah I know cable management is rough, I have a 650tx in an Antec 900, and I had wires everywhere too. If you sit back and look at all your options in your current case i'm sure you can find a way to run your wires to your satisfaction, thus saving $140

+1 @ bum Good point. That's a lot of money to pay for some cable management. If you don't have holes to run cords behind the mobo tray, you can use twist ties or zip strips to secure them together and then to the case frame.

rauchster

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Well, the other reason I'm replacing the power supply is that the guts of the system are going to my brother.

His computer is well outdated, and I'm building him a much better one using the parts I have. His PSU is only 250W, and couldn't handle anything decent, so I'm going to use my current 750W Corsair in his comp, thus giving me to chance to rework mine.

I'm also giving him my current Mobo, CPU, RAM, as the basis for his system, as I have spare HDD's, a decent gfx card, DVD Drive, and case to put it all in.